• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ranking the QBs of the 2022 draft

Verge

42 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Or another spot like Hamilton maybe. Basically anything but quarterback.

See, one of the reasons I dislike looking at unusual stories is that the teams who try to duplicate those feats usually fail.

Some team sees what happened with Josh Allen and thinks to themselves "Oh, we can do that too". Then in an effort to duplicate what was done with Josh Allen you wind up with a player closer to Josh Rosen.

This is the fallacy I see with people believing Malik Willis can be transformed into the second coming of Cam Newton. Especially considering we're talking about this being done by a staff who had zero to do with making Cam Newton what he was.

Great points.

For years accuracy was a big deal in evaluating QBs, one of those traits that a lot of people thought you couldn't really improve.  Then Josh Allen proves everyone wrong and now everyone is looking for a "toolsy" QB.  I really believe Allen helped Lance get drafted high last year and will end up helping Malik.  

Same with Mahomes, some of his fundamentals were terrible, evaluators dinged him for that, but his sucess helped a guy like Zach Wilson get to drafted.

I'm sure Burrow's sucess will play into some team's evaluations of Pickett.

Chasing exceptions is a risky proposition.

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

Great points.

For years accuracy was a big deal in evaluating QBs, one of those traits that a lot of people thought you couldn't really improve.  Then Josh Allen proves everyone wrong and now everyone is looking for a "toolsy" QB.  I really believe Allen helped Lance get drafted high last year and will end up helping Malik.  

Same with Mahomes, some of his fundamentals were terrible, evaluators dinged him for that, but his sucess helped a guy like Zach Wilson get to drafted.

I'm sure Burrow's sucess will play into some team's evaluations of Pickett.

Chasing exceptions is a risky proposition.

In regards to Mahomes, he went to a qb guru head coach, probably one of the best in the NFL, he was able to sit a year and he had Alex Smith teaching him how to be an NFL qb.   Absolute best case scenario for any rookie qb.  Its the age old question, would mahomes be mahomes with a team like the jets?  I think coaching is such a big part of it

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

This is not the draft to take a quarterback.

It's absolutely the draft to take a tackle.

I could live with it. But some people are under illusions that because we might finally draft a tackle in the top 10 there are no risks or he won't struggle as a rookie. Sadly there is no instant fix with the 6th overall pick.

Just now, frankw said:

I could live with it. But some people are under illusions that because we might finally draft a tackle in the top 10 there are no risks or he won't struggle as a rookie. Sadly there is no instant fix with the 6th overall pick.

Its not an instant fix but its a block in the foundation.  A massive block if the tackle is good

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

In regards to Mahomes, he went to a qb guru head coach, probably one of the best in the NFL, he was able to sit a year and he had Alex Smith teaching him how to be an NFL qb.   Absolute best case scenario for any rookie qb.  Its the age old question, would mahomes be mahomes with a team like the jets?  I think coaching is such a big part of it

He defientaly went to a good situation for him, but it also exposes some of the weaknesses in the evaluation process.

I've saw an article by an evaluator talking about it, scouts got caught up in how he was doing things and some of his faults mechanically and not what the actual results were.  They started focusing on things they didn't like, such as throwing across his body or off of his back foot and lost track of what the actual results were. 

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Its not an instant fix but its a block in the foundation.  A massive block if the tackle is good

Agreed but it depends heavily on what we do with the rest of the oline. If we keep lining up subpar linemen next to him people need to adjust their expectations but you know we all want a dominant rookie from day one but it isn't very likely.

4 hours ago, davos said:

You want quick, comfortable and elusive in the pocket along with the size, intangibles and play under pressure. It’s why I’d personally prefer Corral in this class but is also why there’s not much in this class. Coan still seems interesting to me. Overall, think Willis has some super fun potential. I just see such a limited ceiling with Pickett. He just seems very much in this Rex Grossman, Matt Hassleback, Matt Cassel, type realm.

Hasselback with better mobility wouldn’t be a bad thing IMO. 

15 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I never knew it was actually HasselbEck until I just read this. Unfortunately I’ve been calling him HasselbAck until now…

After that whole "we want the ball, we're gonna score" debacle, someone called him Nostradumbass.

Kinda stuck with me...

• Beer 1

The article stated the following : { If Willis can put everything together and a coaching staff can mold him correctly, he has a shot at being one of the new dominant quarterbacks in the NFL. One that everyone is looking for. He would be well worth the No. 6 overall selection owned by the Carolina Panthers. Whether he ends up here is another matter.}

{If the Panthers go QB in the draft, I can see them drafting Willis as the long term QB answer.}

Former Panthers all time great Steve Smith stated that he would like to see the Panthers draft Willis with their # 6 first round draft pick. Personally,I value his opinion more than these so called draft experts.

• Pie 2

On 3/4/2022 at 2:45 PM, Verge said:

I know some of you have asked me my opinion on my top QBs in this class, and I just had an article with my thoughts on it published on Catcrave. Feel free to ask any follow up questions and I will answer best I can. I have watched a lot of tape on these guys this year 🙂

https://catcrave.com/2022/03/04/ranking-quarterbacks-carolina-panthers-met-nfl-combine/

Good job 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, KatsAzz said:

The article stated the following : { If Willis can put everything together and a coaching staff can mold him correctly, he has a shot at being one of the new dominant quarterbacks in the NFL. One that everyone is looking for. He would be well worth the No. 6 overall selection owned by the Carolina Panthers. Whether he ends up here is another matter.}

{If the Panthers go QB in the draft, I can see them drafting Willis as the long term QB answer.}

Former Panthers all time great Steve Smith stated that he would like to see the Panthers draft Willis with their # 6 first round draft pick. Personally,I value his opinion more than these so called draft experts.

Smith knows talent when he sees it. It we don’t get one of the big 3 LTs, I’d be good with trading down or Willis. 

• Pie 2