• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Waldman's RSP Film Room: Carson Strong

Ricky Spanish

@rippadonn it's our boy.

For those who don't know, Matt Waldman has some GREAT content on youtube for upcoming draft prospects each year. This video is on Carson Strong, he has another on Matt Corral that is also good. 

Interesting tidbits about Strong from the video:

• He is trending to be healthy for next season
  • His arm is going to get stronger the more his leg heals
  • He was told not to play this past season due to fear of injuring his leg further. He refused because he didn't want to let his team down.
  • He had complete control at the line of scrimmage to make checks and call whatever he wanted based on what the defense gave him.
  • Utilizes hard counts to figure out what the defense is giving him. 

Him and Corral are my two dudes that I would want out of this year's class. 

• Pie 3

All the intangibles. Tough minded. Played with limited mobility and put up 4186yrds 36TDS only 8INT with 70% when he wasn't "healthy" and couldn't drive with his leg. 

Dang, what will he be able to do after some NFL conditioning? Again, these guys talk about his ability to make all the presnap reads on his own. They talk about his accuracy and how he always puts the ball where it's supposed to be regardless of the receiver catching it or not. They marveled at how he throws guys open, zips it in there. They marveled at how accurate his deep throws are said Malik can throw it too but not with that pinpoint accuracy (70%completion).

I already told you @Ricky Spanish THIS guy is a taller Drew Brees. If I have a veteran QB and I've got rookie Drew Brees healing up, learning, getting NFL conditioning, studying. He's so high IQ with that arm. That arm! Smh.

Strong 2022

In the long run he's going to prove himself to be the best of this class by miles.

I'd let him sit behind Cam two years or so. Aaron Rodgers famously sat behind Favre for four,five yrs.

Edited by rippadonn
  • Pie 2

I like how they celebrate the play at 17:00 and never mention everything wrong with that play you never want to see him do in the NFL.

Stares down WR. Forces ball in to double coverage, which turns into triple coverage since he never looks off DBs. Shows no patience or fluid progressions. He misses big on the correct defensive read with the X on the go route. You never want to see a QB in the NFL ever make that pass with their back against the endzone. 

He consistently throws behind the WR and makes bad decisions. Every game he plays in I feel for the pain he puts his receivers through. Too many hospital balls. Looks defeated often during the season and his reactions toward his receivers is Cutleresque.

His highlight throws in this Kansas State game are absolutely the type of passes/decisions you do not want to see him make in the NFL.

I didn't want Kerry Collins or Jay Cutler. I do not want Carson Strong.

Stop making me go back and cringe at his games because you love a strong arm lol. I think I missed something, and then I'm reminded this is a disaster of a QB come the playoffs when you actually need your QB to perform and come up clutch.

They win this game, but the QB play is ugly. He is not getting away with this on the NFL level, and he will give the game away making decisions late in games like he does against Cal. He put a couple receivers in the hospital with these throws. No touch.

I'd rather have Josh Rosen, and I don't want Josh Rosen.

• Pie 2

I really liked him during the college season and went into the offseason high on him as my #2. However since, I’ve done a bit of a 180. He has some very important traits you look for but even if you’re immobile, you need to be able to evade and stay elusive in the pocket. I don’t seem him as such. His awareness can be streaky so with those two factors combined, could get sacked a lot in the league. Pretty much needs to go to Pittsburgh or NO to succeed. 

Has the most pure passing abilities and best arm in the class. And was asked to make NFL level decisions at the LOS. Those are some major pluses. Think he could be pretty damn good but I don’t think he works here. 

Does remind me a bit of Stafford.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, CPantherKing said:

I like how they celebrate the play at 17:00 and never mention everything wrong with that play you never want to see him do in the NFL.

Stares down WR. Forces ball in to double coverage, which turns into triple coverage since he never looks off DBs. Shows no patience or fluid progressions. He misses big on the correct defensive read with the X on the go route. You never want to see a QB in the NFL ever make that pass with their back against the endzone. 

He consistently throws behind the WR and makes bad decisions. Every game he plays in I feel for the pain he puts his receivers through. Too many hospital balls. Looks defeated often during the season and his reactions toward his receivers is Cutleresque.

His highlight throws in this Kansas State game are absolutely the type of passes/decisions you do not want to see him make in the NFL.

I didn't want Kerry Collins or Jay Cutler. I do not want Carson Strong.

Stop making me go back and cringe at his games because you love a strong arm lol. I think I missed something, and then I'm reminded this is a disaster of a QB come the playoffs when you actually need your QB to perform and come up clutch.

They win this game, but the QB play is ugly. He is not getting away with this on the NFL level, and he will give the game away making decisions late in games like he does against Cal. He put a couple receivers in the hospital with these throws. No touch.

I'd rather have Josh Rosen, and I don't want Josh Rosen.

People keep harping on his stats.  He played in an air raid type offense and was rarely if ever truly under center. 

70% completion for two consecutive seasons has nothing to do with lining up or "air raid" or system.

Strong had full autonomy to read the defense and call the offense accordingly.

If he couldn't look off receivers and hold up receivers with his eyes these amazing in-between defender lasers wouldn't work.

His timing and ability to throw guys open with anticipating and general IQ is at the top of this class ahead of the curve.

For me it all comes down to Strong's health.  Has his knee completely healed ?  Is there structural integrity?  Will the knee just deteriorate in short order ?  

I love Strong's arm talent and productivity.   But I have serious concerns about his knee and how it affects his overall mobility.  So the medical eval would be the deciding factor.  

2 hours ago, rippadonn said:

70% completion for two consecutive seasons has nothing to do with lining up or "air raid" or system.

Strong had full autonomy to read the defense and call the offense accordingly.

If he couldn't look off receivers and hold up receivers with his eyes these amazing in-between defender lasers wouldn't work.

His timing and ability to throw guys open with anticipating and general IQ is at the top of this class ahead of the curve.

It's college. The strong arm QBs can force balls in at that level. Coverage is much tighter at the NFL level and you can 3x his ints if he keeps making those throws.

As for him throwing open receivers, please reference the game he regularly does this. I see that a majority of his throws are behind the receiver, underthrown, wobblers, or floaters. He has no touch. His receivers need to constantly adjust to his throws, and it is obvious they recruited receivers with a large catch radius because of his inaccuracy. He gets his receivers killed often.

He is at the bottom of the top 15 when it comes to throwing a WR open.

This was even more obvious in the Senior Bowl.

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Then you absolutely have no idea what you are talking about then

So then, why doesn't everybody run air raid?

Completions have everything to do with accuracy and ball placement.

Tell me about this system that makes him so great.

Does the system read defenses and change plays too?

Heck of a system.