• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

No more Watson threads. Use this one or one of the other 20 existing ones.

rayzor

Just now, TheCasillas said:

If Darnold is in the deal, we will have plenty of money to sign a key FA

Keys FAs as in plural.  Remember we also lose a couple key young guys and no first rounders for 3 years. The way we've been throwing money at mediocre players, I have little hope our cap situation is anything but doomed in attempt to quickly build around Watson before he hits FA.   Again, this Watson thing looks worse and worse to me the more I ponder it.

3 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Do they take his entire 18m, or do we still owe him some on our cap?  What about Watson?  Does Houston pay any of this year?

Watson has a $35M cap hit that travels this year. The remaining $5M from his signing bonus stays with the Texans. Darnold’s entire approximately $19M cap hit would travel. 

• Beer 1

24 minutes ago, Smittymoose said:

I think that was the purpose of roping in New Orleans in the first place, but why bother letting it go so far as to let him meet with them just to tell him that their deal was a no go? Seems really unlikely to me.

The 1st Hurdle is getting Watson okay anyway.. So letting him meet and then hashing out the deal is the way to go... There deal might be the 2nd best they can get but keeping the ruse of a 2 or 3 team race is still beneficial no matter what the offers really are... 

Especially with teams dropping off like the Bucs and the Vikes..

Just now, WOW!! said:

The 1st Hurdle is getting Watson okay anyway.. So letting him meet and then hashing out the deal is the way to go... There deal might be the 2nd best they can get but keeping the ruse of a 2 or 3 team race is still beneficial no matter what the offers really are... 

Especially with teams dropping off like the Bucs and the Vikes..

One aspect I don't think people are bringing up is we could offer him more money, the Saints will have to scratch and claw to fit his salary in 2022.

4 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Do they take his entire 18m, or do we still owe him some on our cap?  What about Watson?  Does Houston pay any of this year?

Houston has already paid 73 million of his guaranteed money. We would take on the 34. Darnold’s contract is guaranteed but assumed by the team that owns his contract by league start. There is no bonus is sam’s contract, so Texans would assume the contract.

• Beer 1

13 minutes ago, Chiefzack said:

Please, New Orleans hosts the Super Bowl like every 3-4 years, the NFL is on a love affair with them. They're allowed to flirt with risking not being able to field a team under the cap by kicking the can with the assumption the cap will go up (while not illegal, it's risky and the NFL will let them off easy when they inevitably can't fix the cap mess). If Carolina tried what New Orleans does, we would lose draft picks for conduct detrimental to the integrity of the NFL. 

"Correction" 

while they haven't hosted it recently, the city of New Orleans has hosted the 2nd most SBs behind Miami.

Every team is allowed to do it, they just do it better than anyone else. I can't be mad at them for taking advantage of it. It's kind of like BB and some of his trick plays that everyone thought were illegal but weren't. Everyone had the chance, he just actually did it. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Keys FAs as in plural.  Remember we also lose a couple key young guys and no first rounders for 3 years. The way we've been throwing money at mediocre players, I have little hope our cap situation is anything but doomed in attempt to quickly build around Watson before he hits FA.   Again, this Watson thing looks worse and worse to me the more I ponder it.

It was posted on twitter that if Darnold is in the trade, we can end up with 40m in cap space with restructuring for free agency this year 

Just now, Chiefzack said:

One aspect I don't think people are bringing up is we could offer him more money, the Saints will have to scratch and claw to fit his salary in 2022.

It doesn't matter, once he's inked the Saints can do contract gymnastics to get under the cap.  They always do.  Watson could care less about their cap situation as long as their core players stays intact for the time being.

Just now, Chiefzack said:

The biggest thing in our favor is We have a top 10 pick ready to go on the books the Saints don't and probably won't have.. 

If it was Seattle or Philly in this they could match our offer...

But the Saints can't..

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Smittymoose said:

Watson has a $35M cap hit that travels this year. The remaining $5M from his signing bonus stays with the Texans. Darnold’s entire approximately $19M cap hit would travel. 

If they took on Burns and Derrick Brown they kinda break even cap wise. They probably want 1 of those and Chinn because that would save multiple millions 

Just now, 45catfan said:

It doesn't matter, once he's inked the Saints can do contract gymnastics to get under the cap.  They always do.  Watson could care less about their cap situation as long as their core players stays intact for the time being.

Which is why I'll be done if that happens.

Just wait until the year the Saints can't get under the cap and field a team and the NFL just charges them a luxury tax and a stern warning.

We would lose 5 years of 1sts for that same offense lol.