• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will the NFL quit giving No-Trade Clauses out (Not a Watson thread)

Chiefzack

While I understand this indirectly involves Watson, but multiple QBs who have it recently have abused it. Could this lead to more teams saying "We aren't doing that,"? 

Stafford, Wilson, and Watson could all end up forcing their teams to accept inferior trades, you know this has to be something that will come up at the next owners meeting and potentially in future CBA negotiation. 

Eh, unless the owners want to have more guarantees in contracts, no chance the star players would let them take away the NTC. Sucks for your team when a player holds all the cards, but if you're that good & earn it, it's a right you should have.

I mean, the draft itself is "weird". What other job outside of sports basically forces you to a certain city without a true choice in where you end up? Gotta be a little give & take on both sides. Would never happen, but part of me has always wondered what it would look like abolishing the draft entirely.

Players get to decide from the start where they go as free agents, contracts handed out reflecting that as well.  Player wants money? Welcome to Jacksonville. Player wants a certain team, live with the contract they offer you. Player's choice in all matters, and opens the doors for all teams to have their shot at every player. Again, would never happen, but then I think you could argue that a no-trade clause should be gotten rid of. 

• Beer 1

Elite QBs can pretty much get whatever they want in their contracts. Hell, for that matter, pretty much all elite FAs can get whatever they want. Honestly, if I'm a player I'm ALWAYS going to hit the open market before resigning with my current team, even if resigning with my current team is ultimately my goal. There's no real downside to hitting the market.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

14 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Kirk Cousins just got a NTC on his 1 year extension.  Is Kirk Cousins elite? 😛

Nope, but he's above average and above average might as well be elite. Teams don't want to roll the dice and move on from above average even though they know they're highly unlikely to win a SB. You can keep your job contending for the playoffs year in and year out but roll the dice on trying to be great and you might end up sucking and get fired.

32 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Elite QBs can pretty much get whatever they want in their contracts. Hell, for that matter, pretty much all elite FAs can get whatever they want. Honestly, if I'm a player I'm ALWAYS going to hit the open market before resigning with my current team, even if resigning with my current team is ultimately my goal. There's no real downside to hitting the market.

Except over valuing your worth like Cam did.

I don’t see an issue with it NTC. If you FO doesn’t like it don’t sign it, simple.

Same for players and their contracts. But I think this is where the only issue comes in, like Watson refusing to play and demand to be traded now. He should honor the contract.

It’s a shitty move, but again that’s the risk a franchise takes agreeing to a NTC.  It ensures your franchise guy is happy and gives him a perk.

Not everyone will be honorable but generally it’s fine and I don’t see it going away.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Chiefzack said:

While I understand this indirectly involves Watson, but multiple QBs who have it recently have abused it. Could this lead to more teams saying "We aren't doing that,"? 

Stafford, Wilson, and Watson could all end up forcing their teams to accept inferior trades, you know this has to be something that will come up at the next owners meeting and potentially in future CBA negotiation. 

How are they abusing it? Basketball players have been doing it for years. And if my talents warranted it; any high profile player should ask for it 

3 minutes ago, jumpman910 said:

How are they abusing it? Basketball players have been doing it for years. And if my talents warranted it; any high profile player should ask for it 

I don't blame the players for utilizing their leverage but I will say that the "super team" era that it spawned in the NBA pretty quickly led to me just tuning the NBA out. I was an avid NBA fan growing up and I bet I haven't watched a full NBA game in at least a decade. If the NFL goes down a similar road I'll tune it out too. Parity is necessary for my interest. If you go into a season with only a small handful of teams having a legit chance what's the point?

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Chiefzack said:

Stafford, Wilson, and Watson could all end up forcing their teams to accept inferior trades...

None of them are "forcing" anything...

...the team always the right to Just Say No...

...which is exactly what the Texans should say to Mr. Whip-It-Out.

30 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If the NFL goes down a similar road I'll tune it out too.

The NFL is absolutely at this crossroads right now...

...personally I expect the owners will not allow the League to travel the same path the NBA has so laughably trod.

Edited by SizzleBuzz
  • Beer 1