• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Watson Thread - Part Deux

Zod

Just now, kungfoodude said:

To me the real question is why is he worth more than Stafford or Wilson? Both those QB's now have a ring and have played at an elite level for years. 

So what makes Watson worth more in trade value? I honestly can't wrap my head around that.

He's like 26 instead of 33 years old.  Big difference.

49 minutes ago, Varking said:

Trade for Minshew, we would be a playoff team and not have to mortgage the future. 

Jesus Christ, we're sitting here waiting for a decision about Deshaun Watson, and you come in talking about Gardner freaking Minshew?!?!fuck outta here the kid mero GIF by Desus & Mero

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1
  • The D 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

To me the real question is why is he worth more than Stafford or Wilson? Both those QB's now have a ring and have played at an elite level for years. 

So what makes Watson worth more in trade value? I honestly can't wrap my head around that.

Age number one.  He has a lot more gas in the tank while the guys you mentioned are limited.  Two, while he don't have a ring you could argue that he has played better than both with a supporting cast that is worse than the Panthers currently have and that is including the offensive line

Just now, TheRumGone said:

He’s 26. That’s why.

Yeah but that isn't honestly a good reason. You have the best QB's in the NFL playing at a high level into their late 30's and early 40's. So why does that make him more valuable?

And you are trading for finished products in Stafford and Wilson, versus an unfinished product in Watson.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

This is a good article to read about the 2020 season and why the 2019 season was much different. Basically DW is a fuging baller and willed his team to victories in 2019 and in 2020 he wasn’t given the opportunity to do that at the end of games like he was in 2019.

https://www.battleredblog.com/platform/amp/2021/2/18/22289613/a-look-at-the-numbers-from-the-texans-2020-season

Edited by TheRumGone

Yeah but that isn't honestly a good reason. You have the best QB's in the NFL playing at a high level into their late 30's and early 40's. So why does that make him more valuable?

And you are trading for finished products in Stafford and Wilson, versus an unfinished product in Watson.

Tom Brady has set a ridiculous precedent.  That isn't going to be the norm.  Closest thing is Rodgers at 38 and he could fall off a cliff at any moment.  Plus he can't win in the playoffs.

• Poo 1

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Because hes 26 and probably hasn't even entered his prime yet?  Those other 2 guys are in their 30s and on the down side of their careers. 

It is though. you get him for longer.  He hasn’t hit his prime and has already showcased top 5 qb traits. 

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

He's better than Wilson and Stafford I believe. When Wilson won a SB he was on his Rookie contract. He's been off of that Rookie contract for a hot minute. 

20 minutes ago, Murph said:

I’m confused. Last week didn’t a poll here show 70% of the Huddle didn’t want this guy? Why so much excitement?

Because those people didn't think there was a real shot to land him and they didn't want to be let down....once it looked like there was a real shot most jumped on board. That is what people do... I guarantee most fans will be in love with #4 if he comes in and starts winning games. 

Edited by ickmule

1 minute ago, HPPantherzfan said:

Age number one.  He has a lot more gas in the tank while the guys you mentioned are limited.  Two, while he don't have a ring you could argue that he has played better than both with a supporting cast that is worse than the Panthers currently have and that is including the offensive line

But the age thing isn't that big of a deal. You still have to keep him around, right? How did that work for Stafford or Wilson when their teams couldn't attain or sustain success?

So does trading 3 1sts, more picks and players make Watson more valuable if he is gone at this end of this contract? Because, the truth is, it's gonna be pretty hard to get a good roster together without the ability to add high quality and cheap talent.

And I understand Wilson and Stafford likely weren't good options because they want to win and that isn't our franchise. I mean purely in theory, why is he REALLY worth more? 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, NCTHFL0567 said:

He's better than Wilson and Stafford I believe. When Wilson won a SB he was on his Rookie contract. He's been off of that Rookie contract for a hot minute. 

Watson is a more talented QB than both Wilson and Stafford, IMO. Im not just saying that because I want us to get him.  Before last season when all this unpleasantness started, Watson was widely considered a top 3 or 4 QB in the entire NFL. 

• Beer 1