• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Watson Thread - Part Deux

Zod

1 minute ago, ickmule said:

Because those people didn't think there was a real shot to land him and they didn't want to be let down....once it looked like there was a real shot most jumped on board. That is what people do... I guarantee most fans will be in love with #4 if he comes in and starts winning games. 

Also that was before the grand jury declined to bring any charges against him.

Edited by travisura

1 minute ago, NCTHFL0567 said:

He's better than Wilson and Stafford I believe. When Wilson won a SB he was on his Rookie contract. He's been off of that Rookie contract for a hot minute. 

He is definitely not better than either of those two QB's IMO. Could he be? Yes. Is he now? Absolutely, unquestionably not.

Just now, ickmule said:

Because those people didn't think there was a real shot to land him and they didn't want to be let down....once it looked like there was a real shot most jumped on board. That is what people do... I guarantee most fans will be in love with #4 if he does in a starts winning games. 

This 100%

The number of people that I saw on social media or this place fully believed that this was a snowball chance in hell kind of thing but then news came out that the Panthers are well in this raised eyebrows.

Just now, joemac said:

Watson is a more talented QB than both Wilson and Stafford, IMO. Im not just saying that because I want us to get him.  Before last season when all this unpleasantness started, Watson was widely considered a top 3 or 4 QB in the entire NFL. 

I agree. It's easy to win SB's when you're surrounded by complete studs. 

Watson is a piece, albeit a huge fugingg piece. However, like Seattle when they won a SB, and like the Rams last year. You have to be able to make timely trades, and draft superb (Cooper Kupp was a 3rd round pick). 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

He is definitely not better than either of those two QB's IMO. Could he be? Yes. Is he now? Absolutely, unquestionably not.

Rings don't make a QB great, If Stafford was Watson I believe Detroit would have won a ring but he had to have one of the best all round teams in the NFL to win his, keep that in mind.  Look at Dan Marino, no rings but a far better QB than any mentioned here including Watson

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

How? His stats would say otherwise.

Lets say for the next 5 years. Are you taking Watson or Wilson and Stafford? 

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Forget the off-field stuff. Forget the will we or won't we stuff.

Real talk... is Watson actually good enough to warrant the type of trade bounty that we're talking about? He's had one great year when his team went 4-12. When the Texans we're actually competitive he was basically being used on a high level game manager type of role. We've never seen Watson in a situation where he's being asked to play like an MVP level QB on a competitive team, yet we're falling all over ourselves to gut the franchise to get him.

Is this actually a smart bet from a pure football perspective?

I'm not trying to argue that Watson isn't good. He's damn good. But is he top 5 NFL QB good? Nothing I've seen from him makes me confident in saying that. Not with guys like Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Burrow, Wilson, etc., etc. out there. I think you're gutting the franchise for likely the 7th or 8th best QB in the league. Yikes.

What?

And Houston's record with him as a starter prior to 2020 was 3-3, 11-5, 10-5.

Screenshot_20220315-084133_Chrome.jpg

• Beer 1

Just now, HPPantherzfan said:

Rings don't make a QB great, If Stafford was Watson I believe Detroit would have won a ring but he had to have one of the best all round teams in the NFL to win his, keep that in mind.  Look at Dan Marino, no rings but a far better QB than any mentioned here including Watson

Troy Aikman has 4 rings and his ass was a game manager at best. I've never been a huge fan of the ring argument in regards to QB's. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Deshaun Watson's stats are pretty hard to deny.  The guy is tied for 2nd in career passer rating all time with Rodgers, and only 1 of 4 guys to have a rating over 100 for their career (who qualify)

I mean dude completes 70% of his passes and its not like they are dinking and dunking to the RB all game.  He takes deep shots all the time.  Throwing for almost 5000 yards at 70% is quite an accomplishment 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, NCTHFL0567 said:

I agree. It's easy to win SB's when you're surrounded by complete studs. 

Watson is a piece, albeit a huge fugingg piece. However, like Seattle when they won a SB, and like the Rams last year. You have to be able to make timely trades, and draft superb (Cooper Kupp was a 3rd round pick). 

Lol. You don't think Warson had talent around him? Might want to check those players he was throwing to.

Stafford and Wilson have had talent to throw to as well, so Watson doesn't get an advantage there. 

I am not even saying he isn't an elite QB, I'm saying this rumored price is off. He isn't worth that. 

• Pie 4

Just now, joemac said:

I mean dude completes 70% of his passes and its not like they are dinking and dunking to the RB all game.  He takes deep shots all the time.  Throwing for almost 5000 yards at 70% is quite an accomplishment 

I'm a big Oklahoma fan. I hated Watson for how dirty he did OU while in College. Hell, thought the same thing some of these guys said. He can't pass the ball well, he's too injury prone.

But looking at facts. The man hasn't had a severe injury now in 5 years, and he threw for over 4,000 yards in his most recent season and 33 TD's. I was wrong, and so are all these guys in here. LOL. 

• Pie 1