• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kenny Pickett > Malik Willis (at least for us)

janderson20vt

Pickett works his way through his reads almost to a fault

Jones either knew it was there or put it in the dirt immediately. He probably gave up on plays sooner than he should’ve at times, but then again, that’s the smart thing to do when you’re playing with devonta smith and there’s like a 75% chance of a long touchdown on the next play

Edited by Growl
  • Pie 1

17 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Pickett reads the right half of the field against more competent defenses, and throws to the guy he's eye ahead of time, or checks down. Watch Pickett against Tennessee. Pro defense will eat him up.

Reading the defense is different than going through your progressions. You can go through your progressions but read the defense wrong and additionally we don’t know how Pitt was asking Pickett to read defenses. In my opinion, Pickett still reads the defenses incorrectly at times but JT O’Sullivan even mentioned in his analysis that Pittsburgh might only be asking him to read the right side of the field as a lot of Pittsburgh’s routes have a circus out route built into the right side of the field. I think that is on coaching more than it’s on Pickett.

What’s important for me is that Pickett can scan the field and doesn’t lock on to receivers.

If the Panthers draft him I’m sure they will have given him a copy of a few plays and asked him to read them based off of how the defense is lined up. If they feel comfortable with it then I guess they’ll take him.

For me, it’s the accuracy, he’s only had one year where he was an above average passer when it comes to accuracy. If you take away last year then Willis actually has a better completion percentage and he also throws a better deep ball (Picketts arm strength leaves a lot to be desired). That’s why I prefer Willis. The fumbles are also a huge issue with Pickett.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

11 minutes ago, Growl said:

oh sorry, I should clarify, I was talking about things that matter.

when a quarterback can drive the 5 across his body, when he can hit the 8 falling away, when he can challenge corners on the fade

i wasn’t referring to generic terms like “rocket arm” that little brained people (like you) picked up in their Walter football scouting reports

i was referring to his ability to check the necessary boxes of things he’ll actually be asked to do as an nfl player

please put me back on ignore so I don’t ever have to risk catching one of your word vomit opinions again, or more ideally, go to the team Reddit and talk to people more of your… intellectual caliber…there

You're a moron. Rocket armed QB isnt reserved for scouting sites, its a physical attribute a QB either possesses, or doesn't. Call it whatever you want. And your ability to name routes isn't impressing anybody. Stick to your day job. Scouting ain't it.

2 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Reading the defense is different than going through your progressions. You can go through your progressions but read the defense wrong and additionally we don’t know how Pitt is asking Pickett to read defenses. In my opinion, Pickett still reads the defenses incorrectly at times but JT O’Sullivan even mentioned in his analysis that Pittsburgh might only be asking him to read the right side of the field as a lot of Pittsburgh’s routes have a circus out route built into the right side of the field. I think that is on coaching more than it’s on Pickett.

What’s important for me is that Pickett can scan the field and doesn’t lock on to receivers.

If the Panthers draft him I’m sure they will have given him a copy of a few plays and asked him to read them based off of how the defense is lined up. If they feel comfortable with it then I guess they’ll take him.

For me is the accuracy, he’s only had one year where he was an above average passer when it came to accuracy. If you take away last year then Willis actually has a better completion percentage and he also throws a better deep ball (Picketts arm strength leaves a lot to be desired). That’s why I prefer Willis. The fumbles are also a huge issue with Pickett.

He has deep ball problems too. He is waaaay off like Sam on many deep throws.

4 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Reading the defense is different than going through your progressions. You can go through your progressions but read the defense wrong and additionally we don’t know how Pitt is asking Pickett to read defenses. In my opinion, Pickett still reads the defenses incorrectly at times but JT O’Sullivan even mentioned in his analysis that Pittsburgh might only be asking him to read the right side of the field as a lot of Pittsburgh’s routes have a circus out route built into the right side of the field. I think that is on coaching more than it’s on Pickett.

For me is the accuracy, he’s only had one year where he was an above average passer when it came to accuracy. If you take away last year then Willis actually has a better completion percentage and he also throws a better deep ball (Picketts arm strength leaves a lot to be desired). That’s why I prefer Willis. The fumbles are also a huge issue with Pickett.

Pickett doesn't like it when the safeties are moving up and down pre-snap. He becomes conservative when he sees that.

5 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

You're a moron. Rocket armed QB isnt reserved for scouting sites, its a physical attribute a QB either possesses, or doesn't. Call it whatever you want. And your ability to name routes isn't impressing anybody. Stick to your day job. Scouting ain't it.

lol I don’t know how you think evaluations are made, but scouts don’t report to their director with a simple ROCKET ARM: Y or N? scribbled into their notes

teams make evaluations on the basis of what a guy can accomplish, and accomplish within a given system (theirs)

in terms of arm strength, the question is asked whether or not the prospect in question has demonstrated the ability to effectively and routinely accomplish certain throws, in a certain manner, to certains areas of the field, under certain circumstances 

if he can, the box is checked 

Scouting isn’t a bunch of guys sitting around a table mangrunting out the drafttek clichés that form the crux of your entire worldview

Edited by Growl
  • Poo 1

Just now, pantherj said:

No argument there, his deep ball is not great. Which is why I prefer Willis. I think in today’s NFL you have to be elite at stretching the field.

Only a handful of QB’s are still left that don’t have the elite ability to stretch the field, the main one being Brady. But with Brady, his intermediate accuracy is so elite that it makes up for it.

The weaker armed QB’s are starting to go extinct.

1 minute ago, Growl said:

lol I don’t know how you think evaluations are made, but scouts don’t report to their director with a simple ROCKET ARM: Y or N? scribbled into their notes

teams make evaluations on the basis of what a guy can accomplish, and accomplish within a given system (theirs)

in terms of arm strength, the question is asked whether or not the prospect in question has demonstrated the ability to effectively and routinely accomplish certain throws, in a certain manner, to certains areas of the field, under certain circumstances 

if he can, the box is checked 

Scouting isn’t a bunch of guys sitting around a table mangrunting out the drafttek clichés that form the crux of your entire worldview

Ok man. Have fun in your narrow and sad world.

• Poo 1

5 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Hell naw, to the naw naw naw we dont need a qb with deep ball issues we need a deep ball thrower to maximize our highly productive number one wr. Even our number two excels with a deep ball thrower so he has to be scratched off the list.

Just now, MillionDollarCam said:

No argument there, his deep ball is not great. Which is why I prefer Willis. I think in today’s NFL you have to be elite at stretching the field.

Only a handful of QB’s are still left that don’t have the elite ability to stretch the field, the main one being Brady. But with Brady, his intermediate accuracy is so elite that it makes up for it.

The weaker armed QB’s are starting to go extinct.

You want Pickett to take the top off the defense, and if he were good at that you'd see him go number one overall. He's is not good at that. He is Teddy 2.0 but with much better scrambling and throwing on the run imo. Teddy and Pickett will both move the ball down the field with their good medium and short passes. The thing is Teddy is now a backup. You have to do more.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, pantherj said:

You want Pickett to take the top off the defense, and if he were good at that you'd see him go number one overall. He's is not good at that. He is Teddy 2.0 but with much better scrambling and throwing on the run imo. Teddy and Pickett will both move the ball down the field with their good medium and short passes. The thing is Teddy is now a backup. You have to do more.

All the QBs in this draft are terrible.