• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kenny Pickett > Malik Willis (at least for us)

janderson20vt

Just now, 45catfan said:

Lance went #3 overall in a strong QB class and even had a team give up a small fortune to trade up to do so.  Will Willis go top 3?  I'm 99% sure it won't happen.  If so, I will gladly eat a heaping plate of crow.  However, I don't think it will come to that.

Congrats to Lance, Willis will go in the top 10 and then a few years later we can revisit.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

38-35 isn't dominating a game and a 5-6 Virginia Tech team was hardly the cream of the ACC crop that year.  Carry on.

You really think LIBERTY had any business putting up 38 points on a power 5 conference team?? Let’s be honest Va Tech paid Liberty to come and lose by 50 points like these power 5 teams do to small schools like Liberty, only Liberty had Willis. Why were you so high on Trey Lance last year? He didn’t play against any decent team and had more talent on his roster than any team in that conference. 
I liked Lance too, but he was a pick based on potential just like Willis is. 

29 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

You really think LIBERTY had any business putting up 38 points on a power 5 conference team?? Let’s be honest Va Tech paid Liberty to come and lose by 50 points like these power 5 teams do to small schools like Liberty, only Liberty had Willis. Why were you so high on Trey Lance last year? He didn’t play against any decent team and had more talent on his roster than any team in that conference. 
I liked Lance too, but he was a pick based on potential just like Willis is. 

I guess we should have drafted Amanti Edwards to be our QB since he beat Michigan in the Big House.  We did, but as a WR.  I mean, App State had no business beating Michigan either.  Some small programs gain steam and join FBS, I get it, then mostly fade into the background.  Coastal Carolina is probably the one of the few exceptions in recent years to make the jump and remain successful.  Can Liberty sustain their little momentum, I don't know?  We will find out next year if the program is actually on the rise and on track to be the next CCU or if it was in fact Willis that carried them the past two seasons.

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

I guess we should have drafted Amanti Edwards to be our QB since he beat Michigan in the Big House.  We did, but as a WR.  I mean, App State had no business beating Michigan either.  Some small programs gain steam and join FBS, I get it, then mostly fade into the background.  Coastal Carolina is probably the one of the few exceptions in recent years to make the jump and remain successful.  Can Liberty sustain their little momentum, I don't know?  We will find out next year if the program is actually on the rise and on track to be the next CCU or if it was in fact Willis that carried them the past two seasons.

I’m not sure where you are going with this? You claim Willis never played any talented teams. I show where he beat a team with way more talent that his team had then you pivot to Edwards. Who exactly did Lance beat at NDSU that made you high on him?? Who did Allen beat at Wyoming??

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

I’m not sure where you are going with this? You claim Willis never played any talented teams. I show where he beat a team with way more talent that his team had then you pivot to Edwards. Who exactly did Lance beat at NDSU that made you high on him?? Who did Allen beat at Wyoming??

No, my claim is Willis isn't that good and Liberty is an obscure football program.  All power 5 teams aren't created equal.  Yes, he beat a B-A-D Virginia Tech team.  So what?  You make it sound like he beat a Beamer team in his prime.  Lance won a Natty, went undefeated--16-0 and threw ZERO picks that season as a true sophomore.  He threw 28 TDs and rushed for 14 more.  Lance will have a better career than Willis, I have ZERO doubt.

My point with bringing up Edwards is you don't go drafting kids from smaller, non-pedigree schools just because they surprise a power 5 team on a bad day.  I still contend he went to Liberty because he was a shoo-in as the starter and the familiarity with the staff was merely a bonus.

I really want Malik I feel like he is gonna be a sensational TALENT in this League. I understand Kenny Pickett broke Dan Marino's record in college. But this is the NFL and I think Malik has better overall skills than Pickett. If I'm wrong I'm wrong. I want this organization to make the right decision. Just hope for what's best for this team. The fans deserve it!

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, FreeCountryPanther said:

I really want Malik I feel like he is gonna be a sensational TALENT in this League. I understand Kenny Pickett broke Dan Marino's record in college. But this is the NFL and I think Malik has better overall skills than Pickett. If I'm wrong I'm wrong. I want this organization to make the right decision. Just hope for what's best for this team. The fans deserve it!

It is pretty obvious that Willis has the most upside of the QBs.  I personally would take him because of this…just doubt Carolina will

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

No, my claim is Willis isn't that good and Liberty is an obscure football program.  All power 5 teams aren't created equal.  Yes, he beat a B-A-D Virginia Tech team.  So what?  You make it sound like he beat a Beamer team in his prime.  Lance won a Natty, went undefeated--16-0 and threw ZERO picks that season as a true sophomore.  He threw 28 TDs and rushed for 14 more.  Lance will have a better career than Willis, I have ZERO doubt.

My point with bringing up Edwards is you don't go drafting kids from smaller, non-pedigree schools just because they surprise a power 5 team on a bad day.  I still contend he went to Liberty because he was a shoo-in as the starter and the familiarity with the staff was merely a bonus.

Lance won Natty in a inferior conference playing for a team that is heads and shoulders above it’s competition. NDSU has won 9 championships in the past decade. Liberty is an obscure football team in a superior league than Lance plays in. He also got Liberty ranked in the NCAA (you know the league Lance couldn’t get any offers to play in). It’s just funny to me that you like a raw, high potential prospect that couldn’t get an offer from any top schools so he played in an inferior league, but another raw talented player (who got offers) isn’t as good because he played for a smaller school in the superior league. Kurt Warner, Big Ben, Tony Romo, Jake Delhomme, Josh Allen are all examples of players that played for smaller schools and did great in the NFL. 

If you look at our free agent signings, it looks like we are building a team where the running game and the defense can carry a rookie QB who makes good reads and carves up the middle of the field in manageable down and distance situations. Basically trying to replicate the success New England had with Mack Jones.

Now ask yourself which rookie is most similar to Mack Jones in this class and I think you'll have a clue as to the Panthers draft target. 

Edited by trueblade
Wrong name