• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

David Newton's "cryptic" comment got me to thinkin

MHS831

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

People are ready to crown Jones but I think he is what he is. I always said his ceiling is Kirk Cousins. That's the oath he's on. It's not like he lit the world on fire. Hell, he looked terrible against us.

I loved Wilson and we'll see how he pans out. I never liked Lance.

I agree Jones is a Kirk Cousins type - which is not too shabby.  Cousins has had an above average NFL career thus far and has a TD to int ratio most QBs would die for.  

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Always possible. But the odds are stacked against Pickett. He was nothing in college until he was 2-3 years older than his competition and playing on a good vet team in a down ACC. Do the math. It's not the player, it was the situation.

Pickett would be a worse option than Fitzpatrick imo which would give us an even better shot at #1 overall pick in the next draft. Loving these suggestions,, hell I'd say bring them both aboard!

1 minute ago, methodtoll said:

Agreed. I remember a couple of years ago when Herbert came out and we were in the mix to draft him that many on here didn't want to draft him because many thought he would be a bust but look at him now... Actually doing a great job with the Chargers.

I am, in no way, comparing Pickett to Herbert but can we hold off on the bust talk until he actually plays meaningful games in the NFL?

I do think that we should trade back and gain some more draft capital but with our recent free agent signings, to me it is hinting they are going to stay at 6 and weigh their options.

Pickett and Herbert are opposites. I didn't like Herbert because of how Oregon used him. They didn't trust him to read the field and they took the ball out of his hands in key situations. If they didn't trust him, why should an NFL team? Well, turns out they were morons. Herbert had every physical tool you could want. Honestly, physically he was basically a bigger armed version of Trevor Lawrence.

Pickett is average to below average in every category for an NFL QB. Height/weight is pretty much the only box he checks.

• Poo 1

13 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

People are ready to crown Jones but I think he is what he is. I always said his ceiling is Kirk Cousins. That's the path he's on. It's not like he lit the world on fire. Hell, he looked terrible against us. None of the hordes of Pats fans sitting around me we're ready to call him the QB of the future.

I loved Wilson and we'll see how he pans out. I never liked Lance.

Agreed. Mac is a pretty good Qb when it comes to making routine completions and managing the game. I wouldn't call that franchise qb quality but it's good enough to win some regular season games

3 minutes ago, Smithers said:

I agree Jones is a Kirk Cousins type - which is not too shabby.  Cousins has had an above average NFL career thus far and has a TD to int ratio most QBs would die for.  

Because all Cousins cares about is taking care of his stat sheet and that's why his teammates don't like him.

• Beer 1

I watched UNC football a good bit in 2020, but did not have time in 2021--I still find it difficult to believe that Howell dropped off the radar when he and Rattler (another issue) were #1 and #2.  Part of me says that he would be good with a strong supporting cast (as we seem to have now).  Again, I am not the expert and I honestly think the situation most first rounders enter has more to do with their success than anything.  I mean, does anyone here think Mac Jones in New England is better than Trevor Lawrence in Jacksonville?  (I endorsed Jones on the Huddle and the reaction from some of you vermin sent me to therapy.)  PFF Scores--Lawrence 59, Jones 79.  

So who the hell knows?  I do think that a few years in a bad situation makes you gun shy, you lose the trust in your WRs, the internal clock gets very loud, you force things when playing from behind, etc.

• Pie 1

36 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Drafting Kenny Pickett is the draft equivalent of what we've been doing acquiring veteran QBs - basically panic overpaying for trash.

If we are dead set on pickett at six I would much rather go tackle at 6 and then flip cmac to the bills for their first and get howell, strong or whoever

31 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

So for those of you who want Minshew, his name has come up in a few articles.  We inquired about him last year. 

• So that leaves the Panthers with an attempt to trade for Minshew or draft a QB if they decide to make a move.  They spent most of their available cap room on Friday, so I am of the mindset that it has come down to one of three options:
    • Trade for and sign Minshew (would Philly take a fourth rounder? that is all we really have in 2022, but Philly does not need 2022 picks)

Not saying this is my preferred route, but just trying to touch on this angle as most others will hit up the Willis/Pickett/Howell talk.

1 - Sign a LT or LG with Brady manning the other to complete the Oline. 

2 - Philly could have interest in help at CB. See if we can get Minshew by offering CJ Henderson. 

3 - Draft Sauce Gardner with pick 6. 

Now you have a pair of stud CB's both on rookie deals which is huge for the salary cap. You get to see Minshew for a year. If he balls out you sign him to a contract that should still be a bargain for a QB in todays NFL. If Minshew isn't the answer, you draft your guy in the 2023 draft which could feature a few really good QB prospects. 

Having a young QB and two young CB's on low cost deals saves so much against the cap to allow you to build your team.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Because all Cousins cares about is taking care of his stat sheet and that's why his teammates don't like him.

I don't know about all that.  Maybe its true, but I just don't think Cousins is that good.  He's good enough to be a starter in the league, and can put up nice numbers when he has talent around him.  But he doesn't make anyone else around him better.  He doesn't elevate anyone.

That's why Washington let him walk years ago.  He's just not good enough to commit that much money and time to.  You might as well just keep looking for a QB.

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Pickett is average to below average in every category for an NFL QB. Height/weight is pretty much the only box he checks.

Greg Cosell, Brian schottenheimer and JT have stated that Pickett has elite footwork and great pocket awareness. You can’t knock the kid for at the least having that. 

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Pickett and Herbert are opposites. I didn't like Herbert because of how Oregon used him. They didn't trust him to read the field and they took the ball out of his hands in key situations. If they didn't trust him, why should an NFL team? Well, turns out they were morons. Herbert had every physical tool you could want. Honestly, physically he was basically a bigger armed version of Trevor Lawrence.

The Oregon offense masked the potential of Herbert, and as you stated, it caused reservations with many people. I just wonder if that same Head Coach will do the same to Tyler Van Dyke at Miami this year. 

• Pie 1