• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers favor Malik Willis?

micnificent28

For the “I’d rather have accuracy” crowd bringing up George and Manziel as examples. Just give me a break. Both are known for being lazy arrogant assholes, and Willis is known to be very smart, hard working and a great leader.

Doesn’t mean Willis will improve, but you can feel confident he will work extremely hard at it.

Personally I have no interest in a Mac Jones type and his limitations. I’d rather roll the dice with upside. That being said, we really need to draft a LT and wait a year to draft a QB.

• Pie 3

8 minutes ago, Martin said:

For the “I’d rather have accuracy” crowd bringing up George and Manziel as examples. Just give me a break. Both are known for being lazy arrogant assholes, and Willis is known to be very smart, hard working and a great leader.

Doesn’t mean Willis will improve, but you can feel confident he will work extremely hard at it.

Personally I have no interest in a Mac Jones type and his limitations. I’d rather roll the dice with upside. That being said, we really need to draft a LT and wait a year to draft a QB.

That draft LT and wait for qb next year is the perfect plan. But with Rhule basically already one foot out the door does he have another year he can not win and draft a LT and wait for a QB? I don't think a LT gets us to the playoffs which is basically what rhule needs. 

I honestly think it's QB or bust for rhule and only that because rhule needs a big season to secure his job. That type of change won't come from a lineman but the most important position in football.

3 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

That draft LT and wait for qb next year is the perfect plan. But with Rhule basically already one foot out the door does he have another year he can not win and draft a LT and wait for a QB? I don't think a LT gets us to the playoffs which is basically what rhule needs. 

I honestly think it's QB or bust for rhule and only that because rhule needs a big season to secure his job. That type of change won't come from a lineman but the most important position in football.

It probably will not be a rookie QB unless we draft another Cam who by the way went 6-10 his rookie year. Granted we have a better team but I find it hard to believe any rookie QB gets us to the playoffs let alone the record Rhule needs to keep his job.

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, firefox1234 said:

It probably will not be a rookie QB unless we draft another Cam who by the way went 6-10 his rookie year. Granted we have a better team but I find it hard to believe any rookie QB gets us to the playoffs let alone the record Rhule needs to keep his job.

Oh, I could absolutely see Rhule getting a 4th year with a decently promising rookie QB and 8 win season. Tepper really doesn't want to have to swallow the bitter pill that the college coach he went all in on is a bust.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, firefox1234 said:

At least for this year, Darnold is the better option for Rhule to keep his job.  None of these rookie QB can outplay Darnold in 2022.  The 2023 QB class is shaping up to be very good.  However, as much as I want Rhule gone, squandering a first round pick on one of these QBs to help usher out the Rhule era isn't the correct move.

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

None of these rookie QB can outplay Darnold in 2022.  The 2023 QB class is shaping up to be very good.

Darnold has been the worst starting QB over the last two seasons. Nobody knows how next years class will look a year from now. Their stock could rise it could fall. We can't make plans with a pick we don't have yet either. It would be unwise to simply assume we will finish the same or worse. The Panthers have been a hot mess since the end of 2018 and the best pick we've managed so far has been 6. We aren't going to tank we could have done that at any point the last few years. Accept that if we do punt at QB this year we will be damn lucky to have a shot at a good QB next year Rhule or no Rhule. There is no perfect time to swing at a QB. Welcome to life in a poverty franchise.

13 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

https://theathletic.com/3227903/2022/04/04/panthers-7-round-mock-draft-if-they-stay-at-no-6-malik-willis-is-their-guy?source=user-shared-article joe person has us picking Willis in today's mock. It's becoming pretty clear that they favor him out of the qbs. 

I get why, he has the highest ceiling and it's becoming more obvious that a QB isn't going ahead of us. It could be something there or it could be simply a smokescreen.  If Neal and Ekwonu are gone, trading back may be an option.  Cross should be there a few picks later.

Edited by 45catfan

1 minute ago, frankw said:

Darnold has been the worst starting QB over the last two seasons. Nobody knows how next years class will look a year from now. Their stock could rise it could fall. We can't make plans with a pick we don't have yet either. It would be unwise to simply assume we will finish the same or worse. The Panthers have been a hot mess since the end of 2018 and the best pick we've managed so far has been 6. We aren't going to tank we could have done that at any point the last few years. Accept that if we do punt at QB this year we will be damn lucky to have a shot at a good QB next year Rhule or no Rhule. There is no perfect time to swing at a QB. Welcome to life in a poverty franchise.

The 2023 QB class WILL be better than this one.  Sure, some guys will rise and other will falter some, but the pure talent and production is already there.  Also, you do have to plan for the future.  Planning just for the current season is not the way to build a successful team long term...as we've seen Rhule try to duct tape a 'win now' roster together for the past two seasons.

55 minutes ago, Martin said:

state has GIF = high upside

• Flames 1

11 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

The 2023 QB class WILL be better than this one.  Sure, some guys will rise and other will falter some, but the pure talent and production is already there.  Also, you do have to plan for the future.  Planning just for the current season is not the way to build a successful team long term...as we've seen Rhule try to duct tape a 'win now' roster together for the past two seasons.

It’s insane they don’t understand this

• Flames 1

40 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

At least for this year, Darnold is the better option for Rhule to keep his job.  None of these rookie QB can outplay Darnold in 2022.  The 2023 QB class is shaping up to be very good.  However, as much as I want Rhule gone, squandering a first round pick on one of these QBs to help usher out the Rhule era isn't the correct move.

Anyone could outplay Darnold lol. Hell PJ shouldn’t even be on an nfl team and he would outplay that bum

• Beer 1

34 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

https://theathletic.com/3227903/2022/04/04/panthers-7-round-mock-draft-if-they-stay-at-no-6-malik-willis-is-their-guy?source=user-shared-article joe person has us picking Willis in today's mock. It's becoming pretty clear that they favor him out of the qbs. 

That would probably be Panthers worst option out of everything they could do this draft imo

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

There seems to be a disconnect here between opinion and fact. The future is unwritten for next years class. Hell the future is still yet to be written for this year. I get the feeling some folks are holding out for that golden ticket kind of QB prospect. Good luck with all that.