• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PJ Walker vs Malik Willis

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

I've seen some pretty crazy comparisons with Willis, everything from Cam Newton to Lamar Jackson to now Steve McNair I guess...

Willis was nowhere near as good a college player as any of those guys, and all of them faced much better competition.

There's more projection going on here than in a twenty cinema multiplex.

How the fug does a player like Justin Fields drop in a draft but there is talk of Willis going #2?  I swear to God I think I could be a NFL gm some days. 

• Pie 3

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Also look at who he is getting these stats against.  Teams named Troy, ULM, UNT and Campbell (who i had no idea they had a football team)

Yeah, he looks like a pretty fast guy against guys who couldn't play D1 football. Vick and Lamar made high level D1 players look like they were running in wet concrete. They looked like easily the fastest guy on the field every Saturday. Those guys made really fast guys looks slow.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Both come from small schools

Similar Height 5 11" 1/4 vs 6' 0 1/2"

TD to Int final season 22 TD 13 ints vs 29 TD 12 ints

Passing Yds 3295 vs 2857.

Inaccurate passer check both QBs.

Why draft a guy when we already have a similar skill set on the team. 

Get off the Willis hype train we don't need another 3rd string back-up QB. 

Gotta love when people paste stat numbers with no context like anyone with an IQ above room temperature is supposed to give a poo.

Edited by thunderraiden

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

How the fug does a player like Justin Fields drop in a draft but there is talk of Willis going #2?  I swear to God I think I could be a NFL gm some days. 

It's baffling.

I mean, imagine what Fields would've look like playing against that level of competition

• Beer 2

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's baffling.

I mean, imagine what Fields would've look like playing against that level of competition

Honestly it's hard to tell.  His team was usually MUCH more talented than his competitors.  Fields had a nice OSU OL with OSU weapons that were usually more highly recruited that his BIG 10 competitors.  He was missing a couple top weapons and struggled against Northwestern.  I loved Fields and wanted us to draft him, but give him Liberty's OL and weapons even against lesser competition and you could very well see a different looking QB.  I know Fields was MUCH more highly recruited out of HIgh School, but Kyle Allen was too. I would still prefer Fields over WIllis because I think he was a more developed passer, but that because he had a staff/team to help develop him in college. 

• Pie 2

27 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If he could run 4.3s like folks claim he'd run. I see a 4.5s guy when I watch him. Still a fast QB but no Michael Vick or Lamar Jackson.

Seen all 3 and Willis is no comparison to either of the others. Liberty University hypes him as choir boy Vick. He's not. Hell Jackson is special, but Vick, he was different, never seen anything like him (closest was Cunningham and still not the same). Too bad he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. 

Willis isn't even Prescott or Wilson imo coming out. 

1 hour ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

@Martin @ForJimmy

Great rebuttals.  Come on tell me what makes them so different other than Willis being overhyped.

PJ threw nearly 450 more yards in his final season in a better conference than Willis.

If Willis was such a great QB why did he leave Auburn.  It's not like Auburn was trotting out a Heisman Trophy candidate every year.  He couldn't even win the starting job at Auburn so he transferred to a school where he could play.  Don't blame him because he wanted to play but the talent level Liberty played wasn't against quality programs. 

Why did Joe burrow leave Ohio state?

1 hour ago, Tr3ach said:

More athletic yes.  I'm not sure about an athletic freak.  There is too much tape of him getting ran down from behind by these small school linebackers.    I would guess (since he didnt work out at all we have to guess) that hes a mid to upper 4.5 guy.  Which is plenty athletic for a qb dont get me wrong.  I just wouldnt put him in the athletic freak department by default.  You've got to remember most of the defenders he was going against are definitely not going to be playing on Sundays or even considering it.  PJ walker went up against better defenses in college and much better defenses in the xfl.  All that said I wouldnt say the two are especially comparable. 

Well they said his on field speed at the senior bowl was equal to Kyler who ran what a 4.4.. that's what his compassion is based off of.

47 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

I don’t get the hype either. 

Willis not running the 40 is telling. No need to ruin the hype train with a slower than expected 40.

Most comps for Willis are Steve McNair.

There’s a little revisionist history going on, because McNair wasn’t a good quarterback. 

I don’t want a McNair or a middle of the pack guy at 6. 

Malik’s arm is legit strong, but there are waaaaay too many red flags to spend not just a day 1 pick, but I’d argue a day 2 on him. 

Most qbs aren't running the 40. Lamar Jackson didn't... Kyle Murray didn't. Like most of you are saying a qbs 40 time doesn't define how they are going to throw the ball so that isn't as important. Being fast is a bonus.. if you run a 4.4'4.5 people will say as expected.. but if you come out run a slow time like a 4.65 you lose a bit of interest is mystique. It's a smart business move. Look at what's happening to Hamilton for running a 4.6.

1 minute ago, micnificent28 said:

Most qbs aren't running the 40. Lamar Jackson didn't... Kyle Murray didn't. Like most of you are saying a qbs 40 time doesn't define how they are going to throw the ball so that isn't as important. Being fast is a bonus.. if you run a 4.4'4.5 people will say as expected.. but if you come out run a slow time like a 4.65 you lose a bit of interest is mystique. It's a smart business move. Look at what's happening to Hamilton for running a 4.6.

Agreed. I think he's a 4.5s guy and if that's the case he's better off not running.

• Pie 2

37 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Also look at who he is getting these stats against.  Teams named Troy, ULM, UNT and Campbell (who i had no idea they had a football team)

Who really cares man... stop scouting the comp and look at the traits. You look for things that translate at the pro level. If people thought like you would Josh Allen have went where he did? And looked good enough to have trey Lance follow right behind him? These guys are coming from basically 2a ball but they have the traits that translate. Stuff you can't teach. You could also make the argument he didn't put up better numbers because his team sucked.

• Pie 1