• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PJ Walker vs Malik Willis

49 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Go look at what Allen did at Wyoming… (Spoiler- nothing impressive at all). Willis had Liberty ranked in 2020 and beat bigger programs in Virginia Tech and Syracuse (they suck but should be able to handle a Liberty University). 

When did Josh Allen become the norm for qb development?  This is so fuging stupid comparing the two.

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

When did Josh Allen become the norm for qb development?  This is so fuging stupid comparing the two.

That’s why it’s dumb to ask for a NFL comparison. So much of it is mental. Allen has been busting his ass each offseason getting better at his craft. It’s hard to tell if a draft prospect can/will have that level of commitment. The guy I was responding too said Allen was pretty much Cam Newton. Big difference in college production! No go cry about mobile QBs and Super Bowls with your Cam Newton Avatar.

Edited by ForJimmy

Have no idea why there has to be such a big argument over something of absolutely no consequence, but okay.

No QB the Panthers draft is going to make an impact this year. I say this because I have little faith in the head coach. Getting a potential franchise QB and developing them go hand-in-hand. Just ask Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields how they are doing with their respective head coaches. And then try telling me that Mac Jones is more talented than either of them.

In order for things to work out for this iteration of the Panthers, the QB had better be a near-finished product, which is why they went so hard after Watson (well, one of the reasons) and Stafford and likely others. So argue all you want, but the Panthers drafting a QB in the first round is akin to sending them to football Siberia.

• Pie 2

Mahomes is not a pure pocket passer in the traditional sense.  Pure pocket passer to me means a guy like Brady who stays in the pocket as long as necessary to complete the pass and only moves outside of the pocket rarely.  Of course, Mahomes is not a running qb either.  He can run when he needs to, he just has few designed runs.  Mahomes is a very mobile qb who is equally adept at passing in the pocket, or setting up outside the pocket and or throwing on the run.   

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

That’s why it’s dumb to ask for a NFL comparison. So much of it is mental. Allen has been busting his ass each offseason getting better at his craft. It’s hard to tell if a draft prospect can/will have that level of commitment. 

I think whats just as important is that Allen had incredible coaching and a clear plan from the franchise about how to develop him.  I remember reading an article after he was drafted and the staff/front office was saying they had everything laid out for years about how to best bring him up to speed and how to use him.  Essentially you only get one shot to mold a qb.

Now with that said, you think this staff, this front office has a plan in place for someone like Willis?   Hell fug no they dont

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Raleigh PF said:

Have no idea why there has to be such a big argument over something of absolutely no consequence, but okay.

No QB the Panthers draft is going to make an impact this year. I say this because I have little faith in the head coach. Getting a potential franchise QB and developing them go hand-in-hand. Just ask Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields how they are doing with their respective head coaches. And then try telling me that Mac Jones is more talented than either of them.

In order for things to work out for this iteration of the Panthers, the QB had better be a near-finished product, which is why they went so hard after Watson (well, one of the reasons) and Stafford and likely others. So argue all you want, but the Panthers drafting a QB in the first round is akin to sending them to football Siberia.

unbelievably well said

14 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Name a comparison for Newton coming out? There really wasn't one. People like to compare everyone to something but the fact is that isn't always the case. Especially with the NFL evolving the way it is. Guys like Willis probably would have been moved to running back back in the day(Pat White) or WR(Marcus Vick). The dual threat RPO type game really took off with Cam so we are kind of in Uncharted waters with these kinds of guys.

I wouldn't say Willis is lightening fast like Vick.. or a giant bruiser like Cam but he's in between... he's Small height wise but very strongly built. His legs are massive and allow him to break a ton of tackles and sacks in the pocket. I think he is unique in that he is more of a power runner than we have seen in smaller guys... 

We haven't really seen a guy with his style of play and attributes which is why everyone is having a hard time putting him in a box. Speed wise he isn't the fastest but he's more than above average. I say between Kyler and Russ. I want to have him at a 4.47-4.53. I think he's probably about McCaffrey speed in terms of just running a straight line.

Cam didn’t have a comp bc of his size and speed. He’s a generational talent without an equal. 

What I’m saying is that you cannot accurately compare Willis (similar to other small school QBs - Lance included). That is concerning. There’s still a huge question about if Lance can start…and imo he has more elite traits than Willis. He also has maybe one of the best offensive minds of the last 15-20 years as his coach. Imo Willis is gonna fall on his face if he comes here. Maybe he excels under a coach similar to Shanahan. But we don’t know about McAdoo and Rhule has shown zero ability to win with limited QBs. 

7 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I think whats just as important is that Allen had incredible coaching and a clear plan from the franchise about how to develop him.  I remember reading an article after he was drafted and the staff/front office was saying they had everything laid out for years about how to best bring him up to speed and how to use him.  Essentially you only get one shot to mold a qb.

Now with that said, you think this staff, this front office has a plan in place for someone like Willis?   Hell fug no they dont

I’ve already stated he is better off going to a stronger organization like the Steelers and we could ruin his development. I think Corral fits what we are trying to run the most. A run first offense with a quick QB who can get the ball out quickly to his playmakers. Before you flip out, yes 6 would be high to pick him. Neal/Icky should be the pick if there are there at 6.