• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rockhill site going south fast it seems.

Big Sexy

Look at this in the bigger picture of the team and the NFL. If Tepper were to stand down from this project, what does he have to go back to? That's right, Jerry Richardson's old house.

And if Tepper does decide to stand down in Rock Hill, he's making a huge bet against not very good odds the NFL will allow him to move the team, because that's about the only option he has left.

And, if he's as petty as some of you claim, how good is he at swallowing his pride and moving back to Charlotte, tail between his legs with no new buildings in Rock Hill, no NFL approval to move and the Charlotte-Mecklenburg population refusing to up their property taxes to once again renovate an old stadium.

41 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Charlotte-Mecklenburg population refusing to up their property taxes to once again renovate an old stadium.

Does Mecklenburg county not have a grant program for arts/culture/recreation? Here in Wake county, a portion of hotel occupancy taxes and prepared food tax is set aside to incentivize these sorts of projects. If the Mudcats want to upgrade their stadium or the Hurricanes want a new arena, Wake County has a fund they can draw from to bankroll that sort of things if the county finds a benefit in doing so for whatever reason. Nobody's taxes gets raised and locals don't pay for it, unless you happen to stay in a hotel here often and eat out constantly.

6 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

Does Mecklenburg county not have a grant program for arts/culture/recreation? Here in Wake county, a portion of hotel occupancy taxes and prepared food tax is set aside to incentivize these sorts of projects. If the Mudcats want to upgrade their stadium or the Hurricanes want a new arena, Wake County has a fund they can draw from to bankroll that sort of things if the county finds a benefit in doing so for whatever reason. Nobody's taxes gets raised and locals don't pay for it, unless you happen to stay in a hotel here often and eat out constantly.

Yes Meck county has that. It makes the county $150 million a year but all those funds are committed for the foreseeable future.

• Pie 1

56 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Oh I think the NFL would let him move in a second. They're the ones who steered him to become the owner in the first place.

So, if he moves and Charlotte/The Carolinas brings a lawsuit ala St. Louis/Missouri did  against Korenke and the Rams to the tune of 790 million, the fee would be greater for Tepper than swallowing most of the cost of a new stadium...... makes sense.

A franchise move requires 75% ownership approval. In other words, 9 no votes would stop a move.

Given the relative lack of available larger media markets than where the Panthers currently are, I don't know how, why or where Tepper would try to move unless he were to become the first Euro-based NFL team.

• Pie 1

43 minutes ago, 3838 said:

So, if he moves and Charlotte/The Carolinas brings a lawsuit ala St. Louis/Missouri did  against Korenke and the Rams to the tune of 790 million, the fee would be greater for Tepper than swallowing most of the cost of a new stadium...... makes sense.

So you're assuming his pettiness is not to the point that he'd make that expenditure. Well, at least there's no precedent...

Well if he were to want to move, I don’t think there are much better areas to go to. Jones isn’t going to allow another Texas team. St. Louis appears to be a nightmare for NFL teams. 

But if he did you also have to look at the ownership votes, and does the Panthers coming to town take a portion of a nearby team’s market share. 

If he did leave I could see Houston or Jacksonville trying to get here in a second. Chargers maybe but doubt NFL would allow a coast to coast move. I also wouldn’t put it past Tennessee. 

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Him moving the team would honestly be welcomed by me at this point. Charlotte would immediately become the top available market for an NFL franchise and we could wash our hands of Tepper's poo show. Seems like a win to me. 

Depending on how far you want him to move, I think he's already going that direction. I felt he was planning to move the team the minute he got the keys to the building. Albeit across the state line, by the time the Rock Hill facility is done, the only reason the Panthers come into Charlotte is to play "home" games. And that will only last a couple more years before Tepper announces plans to build a new stadium.... not in Charlotte.

2 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Depending on how far you want him to move, I think he's already going that direction. I felt he was planning to move the team the minute he got the keys to the building. Albeit across the state line, by the time the Rock Hill facility is done, the only reason the Panthers come into Charlotte is to play "home" games. And that will only last a couple more years before Tepper announces plans to build a new stadium.... not in Charlotte.

How far? London seems nice.

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Him moving the team would honestly be welcomed by me at this point. Charlotte would immediately become the top available market for an NFL franchise and we could wash our hands of Tepper's poo show. Seems like a win to me. 

What's your thesis here?

You ready to write the check for a new stadium for another billionaire owner?

Because that's what it is going to take...

That's a win?

6 hours ago, Peppers90 NC said:
9 hours ago, Squirrel said:

I think he will more than willing to walk away.  He will use it as a example for when he wants a new stadium.  He can always use it as a tax right off. 

Not having this complex in Rock Hill will at least make the threat of leaving Charlotte more plausible. 

☝️👆🤟

100% fiction 🤦‍♂️