• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB talk with Polian

Shocker

38 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Both sides want a good QB. I really don't care which variety we have but the NFL really seems to be evolving toward pocket passers with mobility. 

this. both sides know we need better and i don't think that anyone will mind at all as long as the guy is better.

many people didn't want Cam in here and were diehard against him, but once he started breaking records and looked like a star, they changed their minds either about what pigeonhole they had locked him into or about how successful he could be. 

QBs have to be mobile. QBs have to be smart. QBs have to be able to sit back in the pocket and able to bail and keep the ball alive when that pocket collapses. QBs have to know when and be able to take advantage of space as a passer and a runner and be able to, in one way or another, move the ball down field. 

they have to be capable of doing it all as a passer and as a runner (as needed) and they need to be able to adapt what they are doing based on what defenses are giving them.

they've also got to have the moxie to take over a team, put it on his shoulders, and will it to win.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, rayzor said:

many people didn't want Cam in here and were diehard against him, but once he started breaking records and looked like a star, they changed their minds either about what pigeonhole they had locked him into or about how successful he could be. 

I wish that was actually true.

14 hours ago, Panthers Rhule said:

Polian just said what I've been saying for the last month. Forget the media narratives and the idea of only one good season, low or high ceilings, superstar potential etc. Those are only narratives. You must look at what they have done and what they can do. Good QBs have certain qualities that make them good. Pickett has those qualities. Put him in the right system and surround him with the right players and he has the qualities and the "IT" factor to be successful in the NFL. He is absolutely, hands down best prospect in this draft. It also doesn't matter if this is a weak class or not. It's about the individual player and Pickett has what it takes to be a good NFL QB and especially with Carolina. Our new system should be perfect for him and we have the weapons' already in place. If our new OL is an improvement too, then we could have a decent offense that could become great within his rookie 5 year period. 

I didn't come into this draft season with a QB in mind as I don't follow college football and only watch QB tape when the off season starts and I went from the idea of drafting an LT to drafting Pickett only because of what I saw him do when I watched him play and learned about McAdoo and his system. If we can draft him then we all should be ecstatic. No player is 100% a certainty and especially QBs but Pickett is definitely a good fit for us to take our shot on finally. I believe he can be our franchise guy and I've never said that before about any QB we had a possibility of drafting. 

I did not want Pickett unless we traded back until I saw this.  you have to take him at #6 or you take the LT and sign a QB Jimmy G or (gasp) Baker.  HOWEVER!!!!!:

We have someone many think can play LT for the Panthers, and Brady C is a very good athlete who is about 25 or so.  I think he is ready now if her ever will be---

Fitterer wants a rookie QB to build around.  If we think Pickett can make plays in this offense, yes, you take him at #6. 

I favored Willis with reservation.  Now I do not want him. 

• Beer 1

If we draft Pickett #6 overall, Rhule (and possibly Fitterer) get fired and the new brain trust is scouting QBs again in next year's draft with a top 10 (honestly likely top 5) draft pick in their back pocket and trying to figure out what we can manage to salvage in trade return for Pickett.

Do you really want a more athletic version of Kyler Trask? In the top 10? 

He's the type of QB prospect we should be looking at with our 2nd round pick if we still actually had it. 

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I also wish that was true. Plenty hung around to become Huddle trolls and thinly veiled racists. 😂

In fairness, I did not like Cam because I thought he was great athlete playing QB and did not come from a system where he had more than 1 read (like many QBs).  I did not think he was accurate, and I thought that his playing style would lead to a short career.  While he was amazing, I prefer an amazing QB that makes it look easy--not amazing.  I changed my opinion of him--but I was frustrated that he never developed the mechanics to be an accurate passer--and that he processed a bit slow, causing him to stay in the pocket too long and run too much.

So we never had back to back winning seasons, Cam got banged up and out by age 32.  He was great in the mid 2010s, but the banging took its toll.  So much of what I thought was wrong, and much was right.

I think I can get behind Pickett, but his limitations scare me as well. 

• Pie 1