• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers meet with Sam Howell

It kills me that people would make comments that suggest they know he will be good or bust.  Just admit you don't know because you don't know.

Bill Polian (talking about Pickett) said, "A QB is only as good as the players around him."  This seems to be proven in the case of Howell.  With that in mind, you could argue that Howell is undervalued.  You could also argue for staying with Darnold.   I mean, when he had CMC, Horn, etc., he was not bad.

Here is where we are:  Our QB is going to have some sort of baggage.  Post surgery (Garrappolo), Locker Room (Baker), or one of the top 4 QBs in what is labeled a weak draft class.

I think we should run the Notre Dame Box and eliminate the QB position altogether.

• Pie 2

24 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I kind of figured this would be a UNC Homer circle jerk.

I am not sure which are more insufferable, the UNC homers or the Clemson homers.

Both completely incapable of seeing their players flaws when it comes to NFL evaluations. 

A homer take would be hoping he’s drafted with #6. It’s not homerism wanting to acquire picks and select Howell where he’s being projected by most evaluators. 

I see the opposite happening though. ABCers with ridiculous takes like 4th Rd or 0% chance of success. That’s homerism. 

• Poo 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

But Kyle Trask was not a 2nd round prospect. That was probably @rippadonn making that decision. 

I think his point is QBs are evaluated differently.  For RB/LB etc you can probably get a potential starter that can be a good player in the 3rd.  If the scouts think a QB can become a decent starter in the NFL he probably won't make it until the 3rd.  Trask was seen as a backup/possible placeholder and was drafted in the 2nd by a solid organization.  Taking a potential starting QB that needs some work to become great in the mid to late first isn't really a reach anymore IMO.  Will Grier was a 3rd round QB.  There has been one great 3rd round (Russ) QB that I can think of then Schaub was ok..

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/nfl-draft-round-round-quarterback-data

This breaks it down.  "Teams aren't targeting starters or even future starters anymore in the 3rd." 

• Pie 2

11 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Here's the problem I have with all the "trade down" talk:  Either Howell is a franchise QB or he isn't.  Bottom line.  If he is a franchise QB, forget trading down, you draft him.  If you think he's a franchise QB, you draft him.  It's really that simple.  What the fans think or believe is utterly irrelevant.

The Panthers problem is their evaluations at the QB position have been complete dung since we took Cam Newton.  I'm not sure what's changed there.  What makes any of us believe in their evaluation?  Pickett?  Corral?  Howell? 

I dunno man.  Sometimes you just gotta take a swing.  I just wish I felt better about the guys who were making the calls on who to swing for.

Yep. If you have Howell or any of the other QBs rated as a first round pick and the best one available, you take him at 6 instead of risking another team taking him before you can if you traded down.

59 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Every play that sees a ball thrown 60+ yards down field does. 

He also threw it inside where the defender can make a play.  Look, I'm not trying to bash the kid. He's got talent like most of the QB's in this draft. He's also got issues that will need to be corrected or his fate will follow all big arm QB's drafted that never amount to anything. 

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I thought he'd go in the 3rd myself but he went in the 2nd. All four guys I named are superior NFL prospects 

I don't disagree that Trask was a bad prospect. Outside of simply looking like an NFL QB, I didn't see much of anything indicating he would ever be anything more than a roster filler. That doesn't mean most of these QB's aren't also bad prospects. Especially Willis, Howell, Ridder, etc. There is not much there that shows a greater than average CHANCE at being a successful NFL player.

But, QB's are something to gamble on so all these guys will get overdrafted. Happens every year.

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

Howell has just as good of a shot to be a good to great QB as any of the other kids. His fate will somewhat be in the hands of the team that drafts him. I would prefer him over Mayfield and Jimmy G.

I'm torn. The Panthers fan in me would love to draft Howell. The Howell fan in me would prefer he gets drafted damn near anywhere else. 

• Beer 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm torn. The Panthers fan in me would love to draft Howell. The Howell fan in me would prefer he gets drafted damn near anywhere else. 

Someone will take him in the 1st. I would almost bet he will go before Willis. I would take him over Pickett and Willis.