• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB Wonderlic Scores

Varking

And the NFL is doing away with this metric?  It's not an end all, be all, but it's a useful metric in evaluating a player.  Like KB for example, a 7 wonderlic shows that a player values that Krispy Creme donuts over fulling a multi-million dollar contract probably didn't do too well in math.

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

And the NFL is doing away with this metric?  It's not an end all, be all, but it's a useful metric in evaluating a player.  Like KB for example, a 7 wonderlic shows that a player values that Krispy Creme donuts over fulling a multi-million dollar contract probably didn't do too well in math.

I think the biggest reason they are doing away with it is that it didn't show a strong correlation to NFL success(or lack thereof).

You can easily enough figure out if a player is going to be the kind of "smart" you need by breaking down film with them or having them explain plays or schemes in an interview. 

Just now, kungfoodude said:

I think the biggest reason they are doing away with it is that it didn't show a strong correlation to NFL success(or lack thereof).

You can easily enough figure out if a player is going to be the kind of "smart" you need by breaking down film with them or having them explain plays or schemes in an interview. 

Eh, you still need to know the ratio of book smarts to practical (street) smarts.  What was Luke's wonderlic?  Dude, could analyze and diagnose things better than many coaches. Chances are it wasn't under a 20.

Just now, 45catfan said:

Eh, you still need to know the ratio of book smarts to practical (street) smarts.  What was Luke's wonderlic?  Dude, could analyze and diagnose things better than many coaches. Chances are it wasn't under a 20.

I mean it actually didn't show any correlation at all. This was studied multiple times and Wonderlic scores had no correlation to NFL success.

It's just a bad tool for anything to do with the NFL.

I am not inventing this. This was studied multiple times and all the conclusions were the same.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

I mean it actually didn't show any correlation at all. This was studied multiple times and Wonderlic scores had no correlation to NFL success.

It's just a bad tool for anything to do with the NFL.

I am not inventing this. This was studied multiple times and all the conclusions were the same.

So you might as well just look at their GPA?

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

This is true and no one even accounts for players that just don’t care about the test and fill in answers to get thorough it

• Beer 1

Just now, 45catfan said:

So you might as well just look at their GPA?

I highly doubt that would show any correlation to NFL success either.

You are aware that the SAT and ACT are also poor predictors of college success, right? This shouldn't be super stunning news that a tool like the Wonderlic has zero relevance.

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I highly doubt that would show any correlation to NFL success either.

You are aware that the SAT and ACT are also poor predictors of college success, right? This shouldn't be super stunning news that a tool like the Wonderlic has zero relevance.

I think GPA would be the best indicator. If you aren't willing to put in the study time during college, you probably aren't going to put in the study time in the League, especially when you are already under contract making bank.  Granted some banking more so that others.