• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

David Newton: Jimmy Garoppolo "never has been high on the team radar because he's not considered much of an upgrade from [Sam] Darnold"

TheSpecialJuan

28 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

In similar situations I think they're probably surprisingly similar. Yeah, Jimmy is better. Better enough to actually produce significantly better results? Honestly, I doubt it.

Jimmy G has a disturbing habit of folding in big moments.  I agree with you here…he isn’t going to be much better overall and brings bigger money. 

4 minutes ago, t96 said:

Yep. He’s probably a bit better but nowhere near enough that we should consider him for anything other than trading Darnold for him straight up.

If they cut Jimmy G they only owe him $1.5M, Sams $19M is guaranteed, they'd never swap those contracts. Not sure what their angle really is because they probably want someone like Jimmy G as a backup veteran but not for $26M, and not sure who they could even pick up if they just cut him. Fitzpatrick? Bortles?

4 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Jimmy G is $26M, Minshew is $2.5M and won't get booed out of the stadium

Money has nothing to do with it. If they feel Jimmy G is redundant to Darnold, you think they're going to say, but give me Minshew lmao - Cam would re-sign here before fool Minshew would be here

53 minutes ago, Centerfield said:

Money has nothing to do with it. If they feel Jimmy G is redundant to Darnold, you think they're going to say, but give me Minshew lmao - Cam would re-sign here before fool Minshew would be here

It has a lot to do with it when you're already on the hook to pay Darnold $19M.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If not for that, He maybe could have got around 5 million type of proven it deal. These 5th year deals have caused teams to make mistakes. 

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

And if Jimmy G wasn't a $26M cap hit the 49er's wouldn't be trading him in the first place. Jimmy G isn't looking forward to the pay cut when he is released either lol. 

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

If they cut Jimmy G they only owe him $1.5M, Sams $19M is guaranteed, they'd never swap those contracts. Not sure what their angle really is because they probably want someone like Jimmy G as a backup veteran but not for $26M, and not sure who they could even pick up if they just cut him. Fitzpatrick? Bortles?

Then they can cut him or trade him elsewhere and we’ll give them Darnold for a 7th rounder and we’ll eat half the salary