• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Malik WIllis

janderson20vt

Malik is a good kid with a big heart, which is why the media wants him to succeed. If he was 4-5 inches taller, he probably would have been a first round pick. But the combination of small player vs. struggling heavily to time passes to receivers on anything but deep balls puts him behind the eight ball

10 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Media deserves a lot of blame but it really picked up when all 32 teams had at least one rep at his pro day. Personally I think that’s when the train started to leave the station. He was the only QB to have a representative from all 32 teams at his pro day (to my knowledge) and while Rhule and Tomlin were the only HC’s, that much personnel representation is on par with a first round draft pick.

A lot of it probably had to do with who Liberty is… small school, young program, etc… so let’s send some guys there to just check it out.

But yeah, it was a mess all the way around.

It's mentioned every year but few people seem to pay attention: media analysts have zero in common with actual NFL team evaluations.

The one mistake I think the NFL made though was inviting him to the Draft. They ended up making his slide a national media event with him front and center.

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's mentioned every year but few people seem to pay attention: media analysts have zero in common with actual NFL team evaluations.

The one mistake I think the NFL made though was inviting him to the Draft. They ended up making his slide a national media event with him front and center.

So I watched NFLN, did you happen to watch ESPN? I was curious about the coverage of the slide. NFLN seemed to be very professional, they didn’t mention whether he came back for the second day, didn’t do any interviews with him, or pan to him in the green room. It wasn’t like the Aaron Rodgers debacle where every five seconds the camera was on him. I’m just curious how ESPN/ABC handled it.

• Beer 1

Just now, MillionDollarCam said:

So I watched NFLN, did you happen to watch ESPN? I was curious about the coverage of the slide. NFLN seemed to be very professional, they didn’t mention whether he came back for the second day, didn’t do any interviews with him, or pan to him in the green room. It wasn’t like the Aaron Rodgers debacle where every five seconds the camera was on him. I’m just curious how ESPN/ABC handled it.

I tend to flip back and forth a little, but mostly watched NFL Network this year.

ESPN's draft coverage appeals to me a lot less since they put Mike Greenberg in charge of it.

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, amcoolio said:

Malik is a good kid with a big heart, which is why the media wants him to succeed. If he was 4-5 inches taller, he probably would have been a first round pick. But the combination of small player vs. struggling heavily to time passes to receivers on anything but deep balls puts him behind the eight ball

If he went to a bigger school and had a different offense then maybe.  He can scramble and obviously has a big arm but the unknowns were obviously way too much to risk early

2 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

The shot of him getting drafted was brutal.  Lot of emotion poured out with him and his family.  Tough to watch. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

The shot of him getting drafted was brutal.  Lot of emotion poured out with him and his family.  Tough to watch. 

That was brutal… I’m like damn I probably wouldn’t have even shown that. Kids say they don’t care where they go but when there is millions on the line we know that’s just guys being modest.

4 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

That was brutal… I’m like damn I probably wouldn’t have even shown that. Kids say they don’t care where they go but when there is millions on the line we know that’s just guys being modest.

He went into draft day thinking he might be about to get a contract for over 27 million dollars.

He's now more likely to get something around 5 million. Still potentially life changing, but a huge loss.

Can't speak for Willis, but if I were going through that, the last thing I'd want is my face on national TV.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He went into draft day thinking he might be about to get a contract for over 27 million dollars.

He's now more likely to get something around 5 million. Still potentially life changing, but a huge loss.

Can't speak for Willis, but if I were going through that, the last thing I'd want is my face on national TV.

100%, I’ll never be in a position to make that kind of money but knowing that you’ve gone from potentially being set for life to now wondering what comes next if your career doesn’t pan out could cause all sorts of emotions.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

His dad should have kicked the cameras out after round 1

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, MillionDollarCam said:

100%, I’ll never be in a position to make that kind of money but knowing that you’ve gone from potentially being set for life to now wondering what comes next if your career doesn’t pan out could cause all sorts of emotions.

Hopefully he will get some sponsorships in Nashville and plays well enough to still get paid. Seems like a genuinely nice, smart man. Wish him the best unless he is playing Carolina. 

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Hopefully he will get some sponsorships in Nashville and plays well enough to still get paid. Seems like a genuinely nice, smart man. Wish him the best unless he is playing Carolina. 

Glad he’s not with Atlanta or New Orleans. I was texting a friend and told him they better not make me hate this kid.

2 hours ago, amcoolio said:

That's the whole thing! The media wanted a feel good story. Like when the camera showed him giving help to the homeless person. They wanted the Malik Willis story to lead ESPN in clicks, etc. Meanwhile, LOTS of kids in the Draft were "good kids with a big heart". Pickett got that quick bit on ... what was it Big Brothers Big Sisters? Then all the kids with immigrant parents got their time in the sun. The media thought they had the biggest story in years with Willis.

Edited by Brooklyn 3.0