• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 3 Pick 94: Panthers Select Matt Corral - QB Ole Miss

Ricky Spanish

28 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

With a name like that, figured you'd be a fan of the other maroon SECw school. Hail State!

Nah, my baby brother is a State graduate. I have to root for them off that alone. 

My name is a play on my alma mater, NC A&T. 

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

I see that and get it, but what I see gives a lot of room for optimism...and not the forced kind that I tried to have with Sammy.

If he doesn't pan out, fine....then we swing again. 

Corral is the QB I was hoping for going into the draft, so I was sold on him already. I mean I wanted either Icky or Neal or some top LT because I 1) thought the talent better and 2) thought the need was more important to address, but I would have been ok him getting drafted in the first, especially over the other QB options just based on his potential/ceiling and ability to reach that potential I saw.

I hope he is able to win the starting job outright. I think we will basically know after TC and preseason if he will be a failure. If he can't beat out Darnold(I don't necessarily mean start because Rhule plays favorites), it was a miss. If he wins the job, time to see if he is the real deal.

13 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I hope he is able to win the starting job outright. I think we will basically know after TC and preseason if he will be a failure. If he can't beat out Darnold(I don't necessarily mean start because Rhule plays favorites), it was a miss. If he wins the job, time to see if he is the real deal.

Interesting thing is they basically have the same amount of time to learn Mcadoo's new playbook, so it's not like Sams coming in with the advantage of 1 year in the system. I'm just speculating and it could go either way, but Corral had pretty limited talent around him last year and only time will tell if the coach tailored all the RPO/QB run things to Corral, or if it was the only way they could win as a whole because those WR"s sucked 

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Rhule is the real wild card here. Will Rhule trust a rookie over a vet, even if the rookie looks to be better? I don't know. He sure didn't do that last year. 

I fully suspect that regardless of how well Corral does, Rhule won't trust him over Sammy and will be forced to make the change.... probably due to injury.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

Rhule is the real wild card here. Will Rhule trust a rookie over a vet, even if the rookie looks to be better? I don't know. He sure didn't do that last year. 

I fully suspect that regardless of how well Corral does, Rhule won't trust him over Sammy and will be forced to make the change.... probably due to injury.

I suspect the same. I think he likes Sam and is much more attached because that was one of "his" guys versus Teddy who may have been a Hurney guy.

I'm fine with that too. Let Rhule gift us another top 6 pick so we can draft a QB there is no question about being a franchise guy. 

• Flames 2

Just now, rayzor said:

That's the point where Rhule gets fired midseason after Tepper gave him this last chance and fixed everything else for him/forced him to give up control and had Fitt solve a bunch of problems

• Pie 1

41 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

40 pages for a 3rd round QB.  Times are tough in Panther town.

What if we had of drafted Corral in the first? Would you write 40 pages for a first round QB times are good?

We know the Panthers we’re trying to move up into the second and were probably gonna draft Corral in the second but the cost was too high  

Edited by TLGPanthersFan

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, we will definitely know if our rookie QB sucks by preseason.  He starts or he sucks.  Period

WTF

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I suspect the same. I think he likes Sam and is much more attached because that was one of "his" guys versus Teddy who may have been a Hurney guy.

I'm fine with that too. Let Rhule gift us another top 6 pick so we can draft a QB there is no question about being a franchise guy. 

Hopefully Corral shows enough that we don't have to. If we can get 6 games out of him we should be able to get a good idea about him.

Just now, rayzor said:

Hopefully Corral shows enough that we don't have to. If we can get 6 games out of him we should be able to get a good idea about him.

Well the ultimate hope is that he smokes Darnold in TC(low bar to hit, I realize) and wins the job decisively. Even if he doesn't play particularly well during the regular season, being definitively better than the worst QB in the league is already a start.

Now the real question is if Rhule will play him until he is forced to even if he does win the job. I have my doubts because Rhule has already shown he would rather stick with an awful veteran player than a rookie.

• Pie 1