• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Was Matt Corral the Target or a Panic Pick?

chknwing

5 hours ago, chknwing said:

After Ridder and Willis was taken, Carolina pulled the trigger on the trade.  Did they panic pick a qb?  And when can we call him Golden Corral?

Right now he's just Corral, if he plays decent...O.K. Corral and Golden if he's a boss

• Pie 4
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I know people will say they're just saying it, but Verge said this before the draft.

Yeap.

His release and processing is wild...if he can keep his brain in the right place, he could be a legit starter...IMO.  Had good coaching as well.  He needs to sit a year, but I'm not sure that he will unless we snag Baker.

1 hour ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

Keep hyping that third rounder that you wanted at #6.

Coral was probably the target all along he wants a Russel Wilson clone.

My opinion is my own I don't tell you to say dumb stuff you post don't try to control mine.  Muted

Edited by micnificent28

5 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Apparently we tried to get back in the draft sometime in the second but thought the price was too high. As the QBs fell we kept monitoring it and looking for trade partners. Finally the cost was reasonable so we found our partner and made the pick. Instead of panic buying it was just the opposite. We kept monitoring and trying to balance cost of moving up versus not jeopardizing next year by giving up a 1 or 2.  Fitterer had few picks but obviously maximized his haul. Anyone who thinks we did anything besides a  great job doesn't have a clue about drafting.

This is kind of a big deal.

If another team was asking for more compensation than we wanted to give up, Marty would just swallow hard and overpay.

Fitterer doesn't panic. He backs off and waits till he feels the price is right.

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, TheWiz said:

I dont think we'll ever really know the truth. They're going to spin it as if they got their guy. Its likely that the coaches were split on who ranked where. My concerns about Matt Corral are his inaccuracy with the deep ball and his small frame. But we took him in the 3rd. It hardly cost us anything.We didnt reach panic. We got an Elite tackle. And Baker Mayfield is likely NOT coming now. There's cap money to address other needs and this team is still very young. Getting Malik would have been Magical... but this front office hasn't done much to deserve that kind of good favor.  

I doubt it was a panic. I think most likely it was situation they had thought about. It was smart to move up quickly if there was a guy there they wanted. Otherwise they would have went Mayfield.

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

If you told me that we would get Icky and Corral and we didn't have to trade a 1, 2, or a star player to achieve that....I'd have simply not believed you.

He may not make it, and odds say he won't...but I liked him more than any QB in this draft.

Getting those two guys gets them an A+ in my book. I was happy just getting either Icky or Neal and after that I considered it a success. Corrall was my favorite QB, but I never thought we'd be able to get him after going LT with the 6. I'm quite satisfied. 

• Pie 3

5 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Getting those two guys gets them an A+ in my book. I was happy just getting either Icky or Neal and after that I considered it a success. Corrall was my favorite QB, but I never thought we'd be able to get him after going LT with the 6. I'm quite satisfied. 

Same.  Feels like we made smart decisions...which is very rare for the Panthers in general...and certainly rare in the draft.

I'm very happy, even if it all blows up...at least it was the right calls...IMO.

• Pie 1

Just now, stbugs said:

Umm, the draft value of a future 3rd and pick 137 isn’t close to a mid 2nd. We gave up more like mid 3rd round value for a late 3rd round pick. That’s great value if we really like him that much. I really hope he works out because that would make up for the disasters of picks and cap space for Sam and Teddy.

Remember how easy it was to build around Russell Wilson all those years ago?

If he hits...we can do the exact same thing.  This is as excited as I have been as a fan in many years.

3 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Same.  Feels like we made smart decisions...which is very rare for the Panthers in general...and certainly rare in the draft.

Iwork'm very happy, even if it all blows up...at least it was the right calls...IMO.

Having a quality FO will do that. I'm not sure we have ever had better to be honest. Still Rhule has to coach right for it to work.