• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jeremy Fowler on Panthers QB search

18 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Agree but I think Wundrbread isn't thinking intelligence in the way you are. There are many ways to measure intelligence. For instance, book smart vs street smart. And that's a REAL thing. I've met a ton of people that were one or the other. I'd think QB intelligence is more on the street smart side than the book smart side. There are cardiac surgeons who have no clue how to use a smartphone, high priced lawyers who can't change a tire and college professors who couldn't follow a sport to save their li

I've used the term "football intelligence" many times. I tend to think of it as a skill set.

There are cardiac surgeons who have no clue how to use a smartphone, high priced lawyers who can't change a tire and college professors who couldn't follow a sports game to save their lives.

Intelligence and aptitude are related, but not exactly the same.

• Beer 2

24 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I've used the term "football intelligence" many times. I tend to think of it as a skill set.

There are cardiac surgeons who have no clue how to use a smartphone, high priced lawyers who can't change a tire and college professors who couldn't follow a sports game to save their lives.

Intelligence and aptitude are related, but not exactly the same.

Have the wonderlic questions been revised to be more football relevant? Last I looked it was more a generic cognitive test. Like a pre hire thing. I could have seen a bogus example as well for what that’s worth. 

What’s funny is often in life being really smart can hold you back too. Stuck in thought and hesitation from analysis. 

I know Marino is the cliche example at this point, but he did fine. 

I think what’s most important is that a player has enough functional intelligence to comprehend the sport, but once a threshold is reached, additional intelligence has marginal if any benefit, and could even, in some cases, be detrimental. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Have the wonderlic questions been revised to be more football relevant? Last I looked it was more a generic cognitive test. Like a pre hire thing. I could have seen a bogus example as well for what that’s worth. 

What’s funny is often in life being really smart can hold you back too. Stuck in thought and hesitation from analysis. 

I think what’s most important is that a player has enough functional intelligence to comprehend the sport, but once a threshold is reached, additional intelligence has marginal if any benefit, and could even, in some cases, be detrimental. 

I'm not defending the Wonderlic.

Is it any surprise Corral didn't prepare or didn't care about preparing for the Wonderlic or Combine? I'm sure he enjoyed the parties and alcohol though.

I warned you all.

The Panthers wasted next years 3rd and this years 4th on him. At least the Panthers didn't waste the 6th pick on him and make him the next Ryan Leaf.

Ryan Leaf/Jeff George in Sam Bradfords body incoming.

Corral is really good at excuses, but this is Teppers guy via his Steelers buddy Bret Michaels.

Edited by CPantherKing
  • Poo 1

15 hours ago, Cdparr7 said:

Not really trying to be pessimistic but does anyone here actually think this kid is going to be really good or decent for that matter? Or are they just happy he isn’t Sam Darnold?

I am very underwhelmed with this class and I had Corral tied with Howell for 4th best in the group this year. 

Corral has an extremely quick release, can make all the throws, has legit mobility, and has shown to be a legit playmaker off script. I certainly think that he can be decent, and if he can master the plays and protects the ball, I think he can be great. This isn't a case of playing against a bunch of nobodies, Corral had to compete in the SEC.

3 hours ago, weyco2000 said:

Playing the devils advocate here, but why the hell didn’t Corral study and memorize this useless information? 

No one knows which questions are going to be on the Wonderlic, and at the end of the day it's obviously not that serious.

14 hours ago, frankw said:

What was your solution?

I wanted a 1 year rental on a Vet against Darnold. I would have been okay with Jimmy, Baker, or Cam. Didn’t want to invest in a QB in this draft for him to be Will Grier’d by the next coaching staff. 

Intelligence as measured by the wonderlic appears focused on making logical connections and speed of mental process. Since it is unrehearsed it is hard to improve your score. However in football it  isn't about what you do to solve unique problems or how fast you process things initially but how you can process things you have practiced or watched on film. So it is possible to not be the sharpest knife in the drawer and still be successful if you practice and can make good decisions because it becomes second nature and you can react rather than think  about it.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

25 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

Is it any surprise Corral didn't prepare or didn't care about preparing for the Wonderlic or Combine? I'm sure he enjoyed the parties and alcohol though.

I warned you all.

The Panthers wasted next years 3rd and this years 4th on him. At least the Panthers didn't waste the 6th pick on him and make him the next Ryan Leaf.

Corral is really good at excuses, but this is Teppers guy via his Steelers buddy Bret Michaels.

1B974165-940A-4612-94A5-3D46DC2A864B.jpeg

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

No one knows which questions are going to be on the Wonderlic, and at the end of the day it's obviously not that serious.

I was only responding to what I quoted and that’s my point. You can’t study for these types of tests. Seriously, I have no clue why the NFL even requires it. If you look at the QB’s scores,(Zappe 35, Howell 34, Willis 32, Strong 22, Ridder 19, Pickett 17 and Corral 15) teams really don’t seem to give a sh1t.

• Pie 1

30 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

I warned you all.

Damn he really said Ryan Leaf lmao. I  can't imagine being this BIG mad at a Panthers draft pick. If he doesn't work out we draft another quarterback you keep taking shots until you hit. All this salt from you is because you want us to take your guy from Coastal Carolina.

• The D 1

14 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

That is all you want from your 1st round QB? Fine? QBs like Marino, Newton, and Rivers are great to watch, but they don't lead a team to a championship.

I don't want a QB who wins best in show. I want a QB who wins the race. Brady over Marino. Wilson over Newton. Brees over Vick. Flacco over Rivers. Foles over Bradford.

Successful franchise QBs win a SB in 2 to 5 years after they are drafted. Successful vet QBs win a SB with a new team in 1 to 3 years. 1 year and 10 year QBs with a team winning a SB are the outliers.

All 3 of them turned out to be worth a QB you could get with a 3rd round pick and the franchise rode them into oblivion for more than 5 seasons. Makes it easier to move on from a failed QB pick. I just wish they didn't waste 2 picks on Corral.

• Poo 1