• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers HC Matt Rhule on new coaching staff: You don't want yes men

austin1227

11 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I have seen nothing to suggest he can. We'll see this year. Hope he doesn't try to micromanage this point. He's got a good group of coaches working with him. Let's hope he lets them do their job.

Hopefully the only thing he's actually in control of is managing time outs, which he's been pretty horrible at so far

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep. He could spin a tale when first hired but he definitely started sounding shook last year. Stumbling, bumbling, stuttering, and trying to smile his way through while his mind was racing to come up with the right bullshit. 😂

He sounded like a hot air-filled clown then too, with classics like "we'll keep running practices like we did in college" and "green means go, so QBs will wear green jersey" nonsense along with starting a public spat with/publicly moving on from his starting QB (who is also a clown in his own right and who was rightfully dumped, but doesn't change Rhule's mismanagement). Rhule just hadn't confirmed it on the field like we've seen for 2 years now.

27 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I just don't think that was his doing or his desire. I think this crew was either forced on him or he was told to let people who know people in the league pick people rather than stick to his tiny comfort zone.

I am quite down on Rhule at this point so acknowledge a potential bias, but I agree that there was at least some degree of voluntold-ness to him hiring actual NFL-level people this time around. This was confirmed for me when one of the very first things Tepper said in his press conference this offseason was to thank Rhule for hiring people with NFL experience. Like... seriously? Why even call that out publicly unless you're trying to make a point? 

As I've said a few times before also, even if things do improve this year how much credit can actually be given to Rhule and how much goes to the NFL knowledge now around him? What does Rhule singularly bring to the table? Moot at this point since he's here through 2022, so nothing to do now but sit back and watch.

Edited by KSpan
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

Funny that Rhule surrounded himself with yes men until he was forced to let them go.

and pretty watered down QBs.  Who don’t need to be leaders.  Just fall in and play your role.   

Teddy saw what happens when you don’t fall in line. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, KSpan said:

Tepper said in his press conference this offseason was to thank Rhule for hiring people with NFL experience. Like... seriously? Why even call that out publicly unless you're trying to make a point? 

Why would Tepper say that?  Tepper was directly addressing the narrative that Rhule's authority was diminished and the new coach hirings were forced or decided from above.  This Qanon theory is so pervasive here on the huddle despite articles stating the opposite, Fitt stating the opposite, Tepper stating the opposite, and the fact that Rhule's contract has not changed.  Tepper went out of his way to say the exact opposite.   I guess they're all lying.  Its a conspiracy.  They even edited Panthers Confidential to hide Rhule's disdain for drafting an LT at 6.  Thank God Fit won that battle.

Edited by poundaway
  • Beer 1

28 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Why would Tepper say that?  Tepper was directly addressing the narrative that Rhule's authority was diminished and the new coach hirings were forced or decided from above.  This Qanon theory is so pervasive here on the huddle despite articles stating the opposite, Fitt stating the opposite, Tepper stating the opposite, and the fact that Rhule's contract has not changed.  Tepper went out of his way to say the exact opposite.   I guess they're all lying.  Its a conspiracy.  They even edited Panthers Confidential to hide Rhule's disdain for drafting an LT at 6.  Thank God Fit won that battle.

Where did I say anything about a conspiracy? It was a very odd comment to make, acknowledging the prior lack of NFL experience on Rhule's prior staff totally unprompted and as the second or third thing he said. Tepper's a prideful guy and him getting that specific with the comments makes it pretty easy to see that such a thing was bothering him, and Rhule sure didn't think he needed NFL experience around him up to this point until magically changing his mind. No conspiracy necessary to connect some glaring dots.

Edited by KSpan
  • Beer 1

32 minutes ago, poundaway said:

David Tepper said Sam Darnold was a very good QB.    Would it be reasonable to assume he actually believes that? Or most likely just saying what he has to say to the media? 

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

I just don't think that was his doing or his desire. I think this crew was either forced on him or he was told to let people who know people in the league pick people rather than stick to his tiny comfort zone.

You think that mostly because you dont like him most likely.  It's called confirmation bias.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, poundaway said:

You didn't.  I did.  I was agreeing with you.  You asked why would Tepper go out of his way to say that, and I gave you my thoughts.

Gotcha - I partially misunderstood. Him just flat out calling it out, calling out the experience, and saying it wasn't covered enough in the press was just funny. It was clearly on his mind... dude's too prideful not to have made it a point with Rhule if only because of the press angle. It's only a very small step from there for Rhule to have beem voluntold what type of coaches he needed to bring in.

But I'm just speculating like everyone else. I wish we could see this staff under someone other than Rhule but that won't be the case this year.

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

Where did I say anything about a conspiracy? It was a very odd comment to make, acknowledging the prior lack of NFL experience on Rhule's prior staff totally unprompted and as the second or third thing he said. Tepper's a prideful guy and him getting that specific with the comments makes it pretty easy to see that such a thing was bothering him, and Rhule sure didn't think he needed NFL experience around him up to this point until magically changing his mind. No conspiracy necessary to connect some glaring dots.

It's weird, even though the Jets pretty much alway suck they still wouldn't hire Rhule under the guideline he could bring his own people with him. Tepper let him do it, and now in year 3 we're pretty sure he's been stripped of absolute control. Even if it was his idea this year we still wasted a perfect opportunity to rebuild and be at the top of the division coming into this year. We're basically neck and neck with the Falcons and Saints when we should have a 2 year head start

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

It's weird, even though the Jets pretty much alway suck they still wouldn't hire Rhule under the guideline he could bring his own people with him. Tepper let him do it, and now in year 3 we're pretty sure he's been stripped of absolute control. Even if it was his idea this year we still wasted a perfect opportunity to rebuild and be at the top of the division coming into this year. We're basically neck and neck with the Falcons and Saints when we should have a 2 year head start

The irony of the Jets situation is that, per the reporting, they feared he'd bring college people with him and not hire an NFL-level staff. Years later here we stand, with Carolina and David Tepper having been outsmarted by the Jets...

• Beer 1