• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers HC Matt Rhule on new coaching staff: You don't want yes men

austin1227

I was glad to see us bring Wilks back.  Terrible HC, good position coach.  Rhule is still a clown imo until he proves otherwise, but the coaching hires have been a huge step in the right direction.  No “yes men” is a great thing, too.  People need to call out idiocy and terrible judgment for us to go anywhere positive, so seeing established guys like Campen having so much input in the draft, etc. gives me the warm and fuzzies 

13 minutes ago, PandaMan said:

I was glad to see us bring Wilks back.  Terrible HC, good position coach.  Rhule is still a clown imo until he proves otherwise, but the coaching hires have been a huge step in the right direction.  No “yes men” is a great thing, too.  People need to call out idiocy and terrible judgment for us to go anywhere positive, so seeing established guys like Campen having so much input in the draft, etc. gives me the warm and fuzzies 

I'm glad we got Wilks back but he was a scapegoat so they could hire Kingsbury.  He got one year and that was it.  Not many coaches turn around a team in one season. 

He'll make our secondary one of the best in football.  

• Pie 3
  • Beer 4

1 hour ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I'm glad we got Wilks back but he was a scapegoat so they could hire Kingsbury.  He got one year and that was it.  Not many coaches turn around a team in one season. 

He was a scapegoat a bit, yes.  But lets not forget he didn't exactly light it up as a DC either.  He got found out toward the end of the year.  As a position coach however, I have no concerns.  JNo's development and best years were with Wilks as his position coach.

• Beer 1

58 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Sometimes you can just tell when a HC isn’t going to work out.  I’m usually not a fan of firing coaches after one year, but that AZ team was historically terrible.  It’s not that he just didn’t turn them around - they got so much worse after he was hired.  He also hired Mike “Prehistoric” McCoy as OC.

but yes, I have a lot of faith in him and his DB coaching skills.  If everyone can stay healthy and with the athleticism we have on D, we absolutely can have a top 5 secondary if they play to their potential 

• Beer 1

We'll see. I'll start coming around on Rhule when we see results on the field. We all know he can talk a good game. Hell, he talked Tepper into giving him a record setting contract and full control despite have very minimal NFL experience. The guy can TALK. I need to see that he can COACH.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We'll see. I'll start coming around on Rhule when we see results on the field. We all know he can talk a good game. Hell, he talked Tepper into giving him a record setting contract and full control despite have very minimal NFL experience. The guy can TALK. I need to see that he can COACH.

I'm still waiting on this smooth talking wordsmith to make an appearnce.  He largely just comes across as a fast talking salesman that doesn't really inspire confidence.  

But in fairness, I can't really get past the Matt Rhule that really emerged last camp through last season.  Can't really remember what he sounded like when he first arrived. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

I'm still waiting on this smooth talking wordsmith to make an appearnce.  He largely just comes across as a fast talking salesman that doesn't really inspire confidence.  

But in fairness, I can't really get past the Matt Rhule that really emerged last camp through last season.  Can't really remember what he sounded like when he first arrived. 

Yep. He could spin a tale when first hired but he definitely started sounding shook last year. Stumbling, bumbling, stuttering, and trying to smile his way through while his mind was racing to come up with the right bullshit. 😂

• Beer 1

So far he has hired the right people, signed the right FAs, drafted the right players, and is saying the right things this offseason.  That's about all he can do this early in the offseason.  If he listens to these vets he hired like Wilks, Campen, McAdoo etc.. he may have a turning point as a HC.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I have seen nothing to suggest he can. We'll see this year. Hope he doesn't try to micromanage this point. He's got a good group of coaches working with him. Let's hope he lets them do their job.

• Beer 2

45 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

So far he has hired the right people, signed the right FAs, drafted the right players, and is saying the right things this offseason.  That's about all he can do this early in the offseason.  If he listens to these vets he hired like Wilks, Campen, McAdoo etc.. he may have a turning point as a HC.  

I just don't think that was his doing or his desire. I think this crew was either forced on him or he was told to let people who know people in the league pick people rather than stick to his tiny comfort zone.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1