• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

MLB- Snow mentioned Shaq Taking Snaps There

Michael G

https://www.panthers.com/video/phil-snow-discusses-building-a-stronger-defense-in-the-offseason

Yesterday in Phil Snow's Press Conference he was asked about who would fill the Middle LB position (about 5 minutes in). He mentioned Damien Wilson and Shaq Thompson. He specifically mentioned moving Shaq inside on passing downs (or 3rd down). I am assuming maybe Wilson will be in the middle on 1st downs and obvious running downs. Did anyone else catch this? Has Shaq played inside before (I can't remember)? I was wondering what everyone though about this set up. Please share your thoughts.

Edited by Michael G

I think he has had some reps there and I dont think it was inspiring although I am not 100% sure.  While its not exactly the same thing as trying to make Nate Chandler an OT, he will be out of his natural position.  I would not expect him to be great there or perform without a drop off in effectiveness.

It might be best for fielding the "best team you can" but I think if this happens it will likely become evident that this MLB is a glaring need for the team. 

• Pie 3

If we are running a dime or nickel then I would expect Shaq to be the top LB out here.

IDK, I need to see what he is doing with the DEs or Edge or whatever he wants to call them in his scheme this year. Riddick allowed us to play a stand up DE hybrid scheme with him and Burns and I don't see them pulling that off this year with just Burns. 

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 2

First off Im shocked Wilson is still a panther.

2nd Phil seems to be pushing more of his odd college system, I need to watch some old baylor games, been meaning too.

I think Phil *only wants 2 true LBs on the field. Like they list Burns, Luvu, Haynes, etc as LBs......but most times they are right on the line attacking the OL/TE in front of them.

Another thought- I think Shaq remains on the field on ANY down and distance. Wilson (if hes still here) will be the old school run stuffing role/1st 2nd downs/short yardage/goalline. Littlton is the 3rd down/long distance LB.

JMO, I dont believe snow wants a true fashion 4-3 LB groups ala TD, luke, and Shaq. He wants a confused offensive with mixed fronts and college looks. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, Basbear said:

First off Im shocked Wilson is still a panther.

2nd Phil seems to be pushing more of his odd college system, I need to watch some old baylor games, been meaning too.

I think Phil *only wants 2 true LBs on the field. Like they list Burns, Luvu, Haynes, etc as LBs......but most times they are right on the line attacking the OL/TE in front of them.

Another thought- I think Shaq remains on the field on ANY down and distance. Wilson (if hes still here) will be the old school run stuffing role/1st 2nd downs/short yardage/goalline. Littlton is the 3rd down/long distance LB.

JMO, I dont believe snow wants a true fashion 4-3 LB groups ala TD, luke, and Shaq. He wants a confused offensive with mixed fronts and college looks. 

So basically running the same scheme as last year where we're susceptible to the power run game, and if we do switch out the line to a traditional 4-3 it will be obvious we're expecting a run. Then they carve up our ILB's with short cross routes. Saw this way too many times last year

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

18 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

So basically running the same scheme as last year where we're susceptible to the power run game, and if we do switch out the line to a traditional 4-3 it will be obvious we're expecting a run. Then they carve up our ILB's with short cross routes. Saw this way too many times last year

More of the same scheme, but with Wilson and different coaching voices to stop the run.......goodluck.....  Dam I need to watch some baylor games, hope old oracle has them.  

• Pie 1

I imagine Shaq and Littleton as the LBs in the nickel-Shaq in the Dime. We will try to use Haynes/Luvu as stand up edge rushers opposite of Burns in odd fronts (3-4) more than likely. Yetur and Burns in even fronts I'd guess. Wilson (if he remains a Panther) may help against the run. He is big and plays downhill well. I think they are hoping Brandon Smith can show enough to rotate in for Littleton at times. I was kind of imaging the 4-3 with Smith-Shaq-Littleton as the backers. Sounds good if Shaq could pickup the Mike and Smith really develop into a good player (That's a lot of IFs tho).

Snow likes to move guys around, make hybrids out of them. The problem is that it just hasn't been working. He's taken both Shaq and Chinn and basically made their impact disappear in many plays and often entire games.

Opposing coordinators are quick to see those changes and seize on them, almost always resulting in successful chunk plays that just eat us up. 

• Pie 2