• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule "warming to" starting Darnold?

Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

Darnold starting is bad for the locker room. When he inevitably reverts to his usual ways after a few games we will be right back where we started. Even the Jets are much better off with that guy far the fug away from their team. They at least ended their season with some fight in them. I am simply so damn tired of this let's start Sam because we have no other choice crap. We do have a choice. He's a sunk cost what's done is done. Say goodbye.

I think just losing is bad for the locket room. I don't doubt that many of the players in that locker room are well aware that Sam Darnold is incapable of being an NFL QB but I am not sure how quickly I would jump to "locker room killer." It's possible that is the case but perhaps the locker room morale isn't nearly as bad as the fan morale.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think just losing is bad for the locket room. I don't doubt that many of the players in that locker room are well aware that Sam Darnold is incapable of being an NFL QB but I am not sure how quickly I would jump to "locker room killer." It's possible that is the case but perhaps the locker room morale isn't nearly as bad as the fan morale.

Oh not at the moment no. There's def hope in the building now. What I mean is let's not for sure squash that hope with someone we already know we are just waiting for the inevitable moment of catastrophe. Even a Baker/Corral combo there is the unknown and that is not much better for the moment but we still have some hope. At the very least we can end our season trending in an upward trajectory instead of watching our defense say fug this our QB is booty why bother.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, frankw said:

Oh not at the moment no. There's def hope in the building now. What I mean is let's not for sure squash that hope with someone we already know we are just waiting for the inevitable moment of catastrophe. Even a Baker/Corral combo there is the unknown and that is not much better for the moment but we still have some hope. At the very least we can end our season trending in an upward trajectory instead of watching our defense say fug this our QB is booty why bother.

I know one thing that I have been concerned about pretty steadily is the youth of our team and building such a bad culture. I hope we aren't bringing up a bunch of "core" guys that have no clue how to win because they rarely ever do it. 

I think it's probably easier with a veteran team for most of them to compartmentalize that kind of stuff because they have the experience as NFL professionals. But a lot of these core guys really only know losing. I do wonder about that long term. Will we eventually get someone in here that can instill winning culture? 

• Beer 2

12 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I know one thing that I have been concerned about pretty steadily is the youth of our team and building such a bad culture. I hope we aren't bringing up a bunch of "core" guys that have no clue how to win because they rarely ever do it. 

I think it's probably easier with a veteran team for most of them to compartmentalize that kind of stuff because they have the experience as NFL professionals. But a lot of these core guys really only know losing. I do wonder about that long term. Will we eventually get someone in here that can instill winning culture? 

We definitely can it's just the question of sustainability. The Browns Bills and even the Jags with Blake Bortles have competed in the playoffs after lengthy droughts. Just get a not worst QB in the league in here ffs lol.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

@top dawg is right. This is a perfect example of your bias coming through because most people read a headline and not more.

Person was basically saying that Rhule is warming to going into the season with Darnold/Carrol as his QBs rather than say adding another vet. That’s it. You changed it to Rhule is warming to starting Darnold. Nowhere does it mention who’s the favored starter. Sure, Darnold is Todd’s on to start week 1 because Corral is a 3rd round rookie with 0 NFL experience. Doesn’t mean Corral cannot win the job. You made your title to get people riled up.

Know how I know you didn't read the article? 😆

And please. I don't give a rats ass about "riling people up". That's just a fake narrative some people use to try and score debate points.

Hell, I tend to put up posts without comment because I'd rather see what people think than say "These are my facts. Deal with it!" 🙄

If the Panthers go into the season with Sam, Matt, and PJ as the only QBs on their roster then they are making the same mistake they made last year. I’m not saying Mayfield is the guy that should brought in but they definitely need another veteran. Handing the reins over to Sam again is a terrible idea. If he has competition and earns the staring role then so be it.  But I don’t think PJ and a rookie is the competition he needs. 

1 minute ago, thennek said:

If the Panthers go into the season with Sam, Matt, and PJ as the only QBs on their roster then they are making the same mistake they made last year. I’m not saying Mayfield is the guy that should brought in but they definitely need another veteran. Handing the reins over to Sam again is a terrible idea. If he has competition and earns the staring role then so be it.  But I don’t think PJ and a rookie is the competition he needs. 

Wasn't the big mistake of last year (and the year before) bringing in a  veteran starter who wasn't very good?

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

41 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Wasn't the big mistake of last year (and the year before) bringing in a  veteran starter who wasn't very good?

There were many mistakes made last year but not having any competition for Sam ranks as one of the biggest. He should have to earn the starting job. 

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Last year he was worse when he had time. I don’t understand you people who think all Darnold needs is a good line to be a good QB. If he was a good QB he could rise above a bad o-line. He hasn’t. A good line isn’t gonna make him a good QB. 

I don't think he will light up the field but I do believe he didn't have a chance to show what he can do.  I would like to see his decisions behind a good Oline.  If he sucks, can him after the season when he wouldn't count against the cap.

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Know how I know you didn't read the article? 😆

And please. I don't give a rats ass about "riling people up". That's just a fake narrative some people use to try and score debate points.

Hell, I tend to put up posts without comment because I'd rather see what people think than say "These are my facts. Deal with it!" 🙄

To be fair, the article is behind a paywall. I was referencing the tweet. And, sorry, your title and the tweet aren't exactly square. 

I would doubt that Rhule has made any decisions upon the starter. Plus, I remember how Rhule was talking about Darnold after the season. He didn't sound exactly enthused about Sam's situation. Lastly, I'd also think that the OC and QB coach would have to weigh in on things during TC before any warming up on a starter would genuinely take place.

10 hours ago, mav1234 said:

We thinking from 32nd to... What, 25th?  22nd maybe?

As bad as he was, much better isn't really saying much.

Don't disagree.  Just would like to see what he can do behind good protection.  If he sucks, can him at the end of the season when he wouldn't cause cap harm.

• Pie 1