• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So what happens with Darnold if Baker is the starter

NAS

When camp starts or the season and some team gets hit with the injury bug at QB then maybe just maybe we could trade away Darnold to them for anything at all. When I say anything I mean like a ham sandwich and we agree to cover a VERY small amount of his salary perhaps? Until them don't dress him for games during season but highlight him in preseason to make him look as good as possible to drum up interest when that injury bug happens to a team. Who knows, it's wishful thinking but this way at least makes Corral the backup and gives him more reps for the future and maybe could get Darnold off the books if a team gets desperate enough to inquire about him?

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, stirs said:

Baker knows nothing of our system and team and camp is a few weeks away.

Doubt he starts.

Darnold vs Cleveland is probably more likely because he will be the better QB at that time.  The moronic thing to do would be to cut him even though we have to pay him, just to make grudge holding fans happy.

Then they get to see Baker look inept because of a short playbook while getting killed by his former team.

What a great first week Sunday on the Huddle that would be

Lol Baker has plenty of time. What’s more important is starting the better QB compared to “whose had more time in the system” Like damn. Is 3 months not enough time to learn a system? Cmon man. 

Edited by flagfootballcoach28

They won't release him, we're paying him too much. I'd guess they hold him for an injury to trade him as a backup for some small assets. You're not wrong that corral should be the backup, maybe Darnold is inactive on game days, or Corral gets reps in practice. 

95% PJ is gone.

13 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Can't see that at all given the financials...

And no, PJ is awful.

Outside of like the first month or so Sam was easily as bad as PJ most of last year. At least PJ can offer something as a runner and will take shots downfield. They are both awful. 

Personally, I'd cut Darnold today. He's not even a good backup, already a sunk cost and could become a distraction (not him personally whining or anything like that, just having him on the roster). Hand the team to Baker 100% for this year with Corral backing up and developing behind him. PJ to practice squad or cut. No reason to have 3 QBs on the roster.

• Pie 1

50 minutes ago, t96 said:

Outside of like the first month or so Sam was easily as bad as PJ most of last year. At least PJ can offer something as a runner and will take shots downfield. They are both awful. 

Personally, I'd cut Darnold today. He's not even a good backup, already a sunk cost and could become a distraction (not him personally whining or anything like that, just having him on the roster). Hand the team to Baker 100% for this year with Corral backing up and developing behind him. PJ to practice squad or cut. No reason to have 3 QBs on the roster.

I know people want to make the worst possible comparisons with Darnold, but let's be real. PJ isn't an NFL quarterback.

in a situation where some other team loses a starter, there does exist the possibility that another team would give Darnold a try. No NFL team not coached by Matt Rhule is going to trade so much as a ham sandwich for PJ Walker.

And I know people like to make these edgy, big ball, "cap be damned, I'd cut him anyway" posts, but that kind of thing puts you on an even lower tier of football knowledge than David Tepper.

Edited by Mr. Scot

To give you some idea of Darnold's worth:

The Browns knew that DW is going to be suspended for a year or more.  They had Baker on the roster for 2022 but were not playing him--so essentially, they are without their top 2 QBs for the 2022 season.  They could have easily worked Darnold into the deal with the Panthers--but that was never an option for Cleveland.  They are content to go with Brissett over Darnold, essentially.

So The Browns just lost their top 2 QBs for 2022, and they passed on an opportunity to sign Darnold for a season.

Dave Sucks GIF by Barstool Sports

• Beer 1

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

And I know people like to make these edgy, big ball, "cap be damned, I'd cut him anyway" posts, but that kind of thing puts you on an even lower tier of football knowledge than David Tepper.

Lol, get off your high horse Scot. What value does Darnold really offer to the roster right now? Vets who are "better" than rookies get cut by winning teams all the time. Opening up room for Corral to get practice reps makes way more sense than keeping Sam as a backup. The cost is 100% sunk, the extra roster spot could easily be worth cutting him too. Sam is going into his 5th year and coming off the worst season of his career so far, he is what he is and that is something that offers us absolutely nothing of value with where this team is right now.

Just now, t96 said:

Lol, get off your high horse Scot. What value does Darnold really offer to the roster right now? Vets who are "better" than rookies get cut by winning teams all the time. Opening up room for Corral to get practice reps makes way more sense than keeping Sam as a backup. The cost is 100% sunk, the extra roster spot could easily be worth cutting him too. Sam is going into his 5th year and coming off the worst season of his career so far, he is what he is and that is something that offers us absolutely nothing of value with where this team is right now.

About 18 million dollars...

Ask yourself this: What happens if Mayfield is lost for the season? Sure, as a fan you may not give a sh-t, but the guys whose livelihood actually depends on team performance? They kinda do 😕

Part of running a team is that you do have to plan for possibilities and eventualities. If all that you look at is "right now", then you'd probably do well at the Marty Hurney School of Cap Management.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Ask yourself this: What happens if Mayfield is lost for the season? Sure, as a fan you may not give a sh-t, but the guys whose livelihood actually depends on team performance? They kinda do 😕

Part of running a team is that you do have to plan for possibilities and eventualities. If all that you look at is "right now", then you'd probably do well at the Marty Hurney School of Cap Management.

Darnold offers us $18M worth of value to our roster right now? LOL

If Mayfield is lost for the season the absolute best choice for the team is playing Corral, period. If Baker goes down we're fuged with Darnold, and he's gone after the season anyways. There is no point at all in keeping him as a backup. We're probably fuged with Corral too but there's at least a chance we may not be and we'll at least get to see what we have in him, which is particularly important for the period past "right now." 

Edited by t96

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

This is an interesting take assuming the team would actually prefer Darnold, if Baker goes down. He was credited (right or wrong) with a lot of "hospital balls" last year. This may really depend on how well Matt does in TC moving forward. There is no doubt the 18m in dead cap sucks, but if he's hindering the team's development--Its a hard spot. I imagine FIT (and maybe Rhule) wants assets to compensate for that but will it hurt the team more than help it in the long run. *Grabs Magic 8-Ball and shakes*

Magic eight ball GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

3 minutes ago, t96 said:

Darnold offers us $18M worth of value to our roster right now? LOL

If Mayfield is lost for the season the absolute best choice for the team is playing Corral, period. If Baker goes down we're fuged with Darnold, and he's gone after the season anyways. There is no point at all in keeping him as a backup. We're probably fuged with Corral too but there's at least a chance we may not be and we'll at least get to see what we have in him, which is particularly important for the period past "right now." 

Again, all very easy statements to make as a fan who doesn't have any consequences.

I don't have a high opinion of Matt Rhule and my expectations for him are very low, but not so low that I expect him to slit his own throat or look at roster decisions with an "eh, whatever" attitude.

They are going to hold onto Sam until A; they know Baker is healthy and knows the playbook. B; Corral could in fact handle playing sooner that later if needed as a back up. Until those 2 questions, they'll keep him. Worse thing during the preseason/early season, Sam doesn't dress and Corral gets the 2nd team reps. I don't think they would get a call for Sam preseason, but a few games in to the year for a good team without a real option. Even if it's only for 3 or 4 games to cover with their starter out, then paying 4-5 mil for Sam would be worth it to them. But by then, we'll answer those first 2 points. 

• Beer 1