• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A different perspective....

Jmac

Thinking maybe they made the trade for 2 reasons. 1 They couldn't pass on the deal on the table. 2: If Donald starts and sucks, it was between P.J. and Corral. Corral wouldn't be ready to go and P.J. is P.J.

With Mayfield they can buy some time to get Corral up to speed without forcing him in. Such a cheap buy for a starting QB is something they can't pass up. I would rather Corral learn under Mayfield.

Darnold is basically out of the picture no  matter what they say. He may not even see a snap this season as a starter. 

• Pie 6
  • Beer 3

Panthers blowing smoke up our arses. They didn't have any plans of going with Darnold this year, no matter what they said in camp. Competition is just a BS narrative. I would say he is totally done here. They will unload him ASAP.

• Pie 2

They already know Darnold sucks. They gambled on his physical talent but then they found out he sucks because he's not mentally a QB.

They know PJ sucks.

Corral is a 3rd round rookie that I'm sure they like but are you really relying on a 3rd round rookie QB to save your job? Because if you are, you're probably already as good as fired. At rookie mini-camp they probably confirmed what they already suspected - there's no way in hell this guy is going to be ready to play early on in his rookie year.

It's been obvious for awhile now that we were going to add another vet QB and Baker has been the most obvious candidate ever since the Browns won (or you could legitimately argue they ultimately lost 😂) the Watson sweepstakes.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

darnold can't be counted on (bc he sucks) and rhule doesn't trust the rookie (because rhule sucks). 

conditional 5th is probably the highest i would think is acceptable for any trade, though i would have preferred no trades, but this isn't a bad one considering the foolishness we had in trading for darnold. 

i don't like mayfield. haven't been a fan. don't like he's a panther now but for a short term one year guy we could do worse i guess...obviously we have done much worse. 

if you're counting on him getting us to the playoffs this year...i wouldn't. if you're counting on him being the long term QB...i wouldn't. if you're counting on him saving rhule's job....he can probably do that if the bar is set low, like 7 wins (and even that is a stretch).

this is not a situation where the sky is the limit.

this is more like i see the season going.

Sport Fail GIF by The Box CrossFit Limoges

• Pie 1

It is not when we traded for Mayfield that is important, it is that we were in communications with the Browns throughout OTAs etc.  If we were really high on Sam, I am not sure you bring in a rather controversial mouth in the locker room to sit the bench.

And do not think his agents agreed to drop about $3.4m in guaranteed salary unless the Panthers planned on playing him--Baker is confident that he will get the starting nod here.  Frankly, with the first game vs. Cleveland, I think he will be starting then.

Baker for a fourth rounder (high end of deal) and $4.85m is a no brainer.  I think there will be a battle for the job throughout the preseason, and I think Baker is named the starter before the Cleveland game.

I think they traded for him for the exact same reasons they traded for Sam - seemingly low cost (wayyyy lower for Baker) for a high draft pick that positions them to retain a quality QB is he can be coached up. If he flops, and this is the part where they messed up with Sam, they move on with no further mess.