• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule on practice reps

Mr. Scot

It isn't hard to figure out. It means that his interest is on winning games now so the starters get all the reps. Corrals reps aren't important right now. It isn't bad coaching.  It is teaching a new offense to a bunch of guys allocating reps based on priority. When your job is on the line you don't worry about next year you focus on the present. Once Baker got here the importance of Corral playing right away went way down which was a good thing. I expect if Baker has a good year he will be resigned to a big contract. There will be plenty of time to develop Corral.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I honestly think these guys believe they're going to be able to trade Sam Darnold and giving him more time and reps is going to facilitate that. I think that their belief is very dumb.

Do you really want to deny your 3rd round rookie QB valuable time and reps to maybe get a conditional late round pick while still eating the majority of Darnold's contract? Dumb.

The crucial decision that should have been made weeks ago is who is going to be the backup.  Should have picked Sam or PJ and moved on.  The moment they drafted Matt PJ should have been cut, or at least when Baker was traded for.

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

It isn't hard to figure out. It means that his interest is on winning games now so the starters get all the reps. Corrals reps aren't important right now. It isn't bad coaching.  It is teaching a new offense to a bunch of guys allocating reps based on priority. When your job is on the line you don't worry about next year you focus on the present. Once Baker got here the importance of Corral playing right away went way down which was a good thing. I expect if Baker has a good year he will be resigned to a big contract. There will be plenty of time to develop Corral.

The starters are getting all the reps... meanwhile, Mayfield and Darnold are splitting the starter reps. 😂

• Beer 2

Just now, Jon Snow said:

The crucial decision that should have been made weeks ago is who is going to be the backup.  Should have picked Sam or PJ and moved on.  The moment they drafted Matt PJ should have been cut, or at least when Baker was traded for.

This is why I thought Sam would just get flat out cut.  Baker is the obvious #1, PJ is Matt's boy, and we drafted Corral.  Sam Darnold's salary is already a sunk cost, but his practice reps and roster spot are not.  If we needed a warm body at QB to fill out the roster, it makes sense to keep Sam.  We owe him the money either way.  But if he's taking up someone else's reps, the cost of keeping him extends beyond his salary.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I honestly think these guys believe they're going to be able to trade Sam Darnold and giving him more time and reps is going to facilitate that. I think that their belief is very dumb.

Do you really want to deny your 3rd round rookie QB valuable time and reps to maybe get a conditional late round pick while still eating the majority of Darnold's contract? Dumb.

I will ask you the same questions.

What in your opinion is the absolute best most realistic trade scenario for darnold?  Lets say 5 qb starters go down in preseason.  Even then a conditional 7th and we eat his contract is the best IMO.

So then ask yourself if that is their thought process of "showcasing" darnold is that worth it for a 7th?  Hell no it wouldnt be worth it assuming we could get a 5th.   RHule is shooting himself in the damn foot for no reason

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Hell, we haven't even talked about Ekwonu...

(or Bozeman, for that matter)

Its just amazing to me how confident some fans (well, admittedly very few to be honest) fans are that our coaching staff has everything under control with a flawless grand plan when all evidence and our record strongly suggests otherwise.

• Flames 1

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I will ask you the same questions.

What in your opinion is the absolute best most realistic trade scenario for darnold?  Lets say 5 qb starters go down in preseason.  Even then a conditional 7th and we eat his contract is the best IMO.

So then ask yourself if that is their thought process of "showcasing" darnold is that worth it for a 7th?  Hell no it wouldnt be worth it assuming we could get a 5th.   RHule is shooting himself in the damn foot for no reason

It baffles me how we seemingly think that some decent preseason snaps will make the rest of the league forget about four years of sucking out loud in the regular season.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It baffles me how we seemingly think that some decent preseason snaps will make the rest of the league forget about four years of sucking out loud in the regular season.

Granted, but when I look back at some of the other statements Rhule was made (including this latest one) I start to better understand why we are where we are.

Just now, PNW_PantherMan said:

This is why I thought Sam would just get flat out cut.  Baker is the obvious #1, PJ is Matt's boy, and we drafted Corral.  Sam Darnold's salary is already a sunk cost, but his practice reps and roster spot are not.  If we needed a warm body at QB to fill out the roster, it makes sense to keep Sam.  We owe him the money either way.  But if he's taking up someone else's reps, the cost of keeping him extends beyond his salary.

People just afraid to admit how dumb it was to trade for him in the first place, still trying to save face.

It's going cost us more in the long run if he makes the 53 roster this year. 

That locker room knows PJ earned his spot, but Darnold hasn't done anything to suggest he should be on anybody's roster at this point, hell we can't even give him away. Last offer I heard was like we eat all his salary and throw in a 5th round pick and no ones biting. smh

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Granted, but when I look back at some of the other statements Rhule was made (including this latest one) I start to better understand why we are where we are.

I remember going into last season and the bulk of the games defending rhule saying a lot of you were being way too hard on him yada yada yada.  Boy was I wrong.  LIke you say, when you step back and look at the things he has done and said and how he has approached his entire tenure the man is clearly in over his head.  Its not even debatable.  Which leads me to firmly think that posters like @poundaway that still stick up for rhule are either in his organization or a family member because I am not seeing one positive thing from this "process"