• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person: Panthers expected to name Baker Mayfield Week 1 starter.

hepcat

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

And that's just a small sample, but an accurate one.

Teams have been doing this for years. Heck, even prior Panther teams had rookie quarterbacks.

Newton looked awful in his third preseason game, but at least he got the reps and was ready by week one.

Corral doesn't have to be ready for week one, but Mayfield does. Ekwonu does. Hell, at this point, Cade Mays might have to.

Oy...

So why isn’t Ickey be ready for week one? 100% of his reps has been at LT, sure he started on the 2nd team for 2-3 weeks, but maybe it was a good way for him to get ready. As soon as his very respected OL coach found him ready he was moved in to the starting line-up.

This would not have been an issue with anyone with another HC. Get over it.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Odds and history do tell a story if you listen

Odds are not facts and are only guesses. Seeing as Matt Corral is the first QB that Rhule and Fitterer have drafted, then you cannot say that they have a poor history of developing QB’s.

Right?

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Martin said:

So why isn’t Ickey be ready for week one? 100% of his reps has been at LT, sure he started on the 2nd team for 2-3 weeks, but maybe it was a good way for him to get ready. As soon as his very respected OL coach found him ready he was moved in to the starting line-up.

This would not have been an issue with anyone with another HC. Get over it.

Yeah, I spent years hearing how criticisms of Marty Hurney weren't valid either. "You just hate him" 🙄

Look how that turned out...

That last line is a big part of the problem. When you say something like that, you don't actually have to defend your position because you're attacking the messenger, not the message.

As far as specifics, the way most pro teams get a guy ready to play his chosen position is to give him as many reps as possible at that spot, not make him "earn it". That's a college approach.

Could Ekwonu be ready? I sure hope so, but I don't have a lot of faith the team as a whole will. And I've got two years worth of reasons why.

Edited by Mr. Scot

28 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Thats not the point at all.  It shows that these coaches have a plan how to get their rookie qbs up to speed.  The fact that he is blowing it off saying "well they wouldnt win anyway" has nothing to do with what Wow is arguing

Mike Tomlin HOF coach - We have a plan for our rookie qb to get up to speed and start taking meaningful reps in the preseason

Riverboat Ron respected vet coach -We have a plan for our rookie qb to get up to speed and start taking meaningful reps in the preseason

Arthur Smith 2nd year head coach - We have a plan for our rookie qb to get up to speed and start taking meaningful reps in the preseason

Mike Vrabel  extremely respected head coach - We have a plan for our rookie qb to get up to speed and start taking meaningful reps in the preseason

Matt Rhule - "my job is not to pick the starting qb"  and I am going to ship our rookie to 4rth string and not have a plan on how to develop him

Hmmmm,  but rhule defenders swear he is doing it the right way when you know its kindof clear he is not

But we are accused of blind rhule hate.  Its insane

Gotcha, yeah the QB situation is definitely a weird one.  Honestly the most pointless thing is PJ being on this roster and taking any reps from other QBs.  The "competition" between Sam and Baker was going to decided QB 1 vs QB 2 and we can't carry 4 QBs successfully or place our 3rd round rookie on the practice squad.  Basically no matter what Corral is going to be the QB3 at worst.  

14 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Matt Rhule announces open competition for the starting QB between Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield The Huddle is pissed 

Matt Rhule to announce Baker Mayfield winning QB competition The Huddle is pissed 

Matt Rhule makes love to his wife every evening while wearing her lace satin cami night dress and high heels The Huddle is pissed 

Welcome to the internet.

Love ya Juan! 😛

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, I spent years hearing how criticisms of Marty Hurney weren't valid either. "You just hate him" 🙄

Look how that turned out...

That last line is a big part of the problem. When you say something like that, you don't actually have to defend your position because you're attacking the messenger, not the message.

As far as specifics, the way most pro teams get a guy ready to play his chosen position is to give him as many reps as possible at that spot, not make him "earn it". That's a college approach.

Could Ekwonu be ready? I sure hope so, but I don't have a lot of faith the team as a whole will. And I've got two years worth of reasons why.

I apologize if my response was confusing. I think Ickey will be ready and I didn’t mind the way they brought him along. That was my position, I thought that was easily inferred.

You inferred that he wasn’t going to be ready in your previous message, so I was curious to why (outside of “but Rhule…”). 

So that’s my final point as I don’t want to clog up the board with another drawn out “debate”.

I look forward to your condescending response.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Martin said:

I apologize if my response was confusing. I think Ickey will be ready and I didn’t mind the way they brought him along. That was my position, I thought that was easily inferred.

You inferred that he wasn’t going to be ready in your previous message, so I was curious to why (outside of “but Rhule…”). 

So that’s my final point as I don’t want to clog up the board with another drawn out “debate”.

I look forward to your condescending response.

Some serious irony here 🙄

I don't know if Ekwonu will be ready or not. I do know that for a position where the transition from college to pro is difficult, giving them more reps is a far superior choice than giving them less reps.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Some serious irony here 🙄

I don't know if Ekwonu will be ready or not. I do know that for a position where the transition from college to pro is difficult, giving them more reps is a far superior choice than giving them less reps.

Campen is in charge of developing Icky.  I trust he will have him as ready as he can be to start the season.  Yeah there will be growing pains as expected.

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Nah. I've said why I think certain moves of his have been bad multiple times.

As far as the appeal to authority thing, I'd put it this way:

Let's say you build a house. It falls down after about five days.

You build another. It lasts a total of nine days, but also falls down.

You give it one more try, and the final one makes it for seven whole days. But yeah, still falls down.

Now, chances are you didn't do everything wrong when you built these houses, but you did enough that they weren't stable and now they're all flat.

Seeing that, I don't necessarily need to be a certified engineer or have twenty years of home building experience to some to a pretty simple conclusion.

You're a bad house builder.

That's how it works...

No personal attack.. But your analogy is terrible..

1. Football coaches usually get more than 1 bad year Especially if he started during a pandemic and a big rebuild and has a huge contract..

2. Once a house falls down due to the house builder negligence.. That House builder doesn't exist after that.. And ppl go to jail..

3. We're not paying to build this house.. In your analogy you are sitting outside the fence jeering the construction company on every door knob and faucet they put in the house... Saying "that's not the faucets I would have put in based on me watching HGTV for 20 years"...

Edited by WOW!!
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 3

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Thats not the point at all.  It shows that these coaches have a plan how to get their rookie qbs up to speed.  The fact that he is blowing it off saying "well they wouldnt win anyway" has nothing to do with what Wow is arguing

Mike Tomlin HOF coach - We have a plan for our rookie qb to get up to speed and start taking meaningful reps in the preseason

Riverboat Ron respected vet coach -We have a plan for our rookie qb to get up to speed and start taking meaningful reps in the preseason

Arthur Smith 2nd year head coach - We have a plan for our rookie qb to get up to speed and start taking meaningful reps in the preseason

Mike Vrabel  extremely respected head coach - We have a plan for our rookie qb to get up to speed and start taking meaningful reps in the preseason

Matt Rhule - "my job is not to pick the starting qb"  and I am going to ship our rookie to 4rth string and not have a plan on how to develop him

Hmmmm,  but rhule defenders swear he is doing it the right way when you know its kindof clear he is not

Just curious, do you praise Rhule for coming out and naming Icky as the starting LT yesterday, like you're praising these coaches for saying today that they're gonna start giving their promising rookie QBs meaningful snaps with the 1st string (at least Tomlin and Rivera)?  Call me crazy, but I imagine if Rhule came out in a presser today saying "we're going to start giving Corral meaningful reps" (like these other coaches did), you'd be like "LOLOLOL it's about time this idiot figured it out".

"Matt Rhule - We have a plan for our rookie LT to get up to speed and start taking meaningful reps in the preseason"

So do you agree with the above statement (using your framing)?  Cause I struggle to see the difference in Rhule's approach with our promising rookie LT vs. these other teams' approach with their promising rookie QBs.  I get the whole Corral thing is frustrating and I'm willing to grant you that.  But the Icky thing, from my perspective, is an example of you praising other coaches for something that you blasted Rhule for.

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Dumb argument because again you refuse to add context..

Different situation requires different plans to develop these QBs.. 

CONTEXT!!!

Pickett 1st round pick and by most analysts opinion is day 1 ready.. So ofcourse their is a different development plan.. But Reality is he is still splitting alot of reps with Trubisky and Mason Rudolph.. Are you up in arms that he isn't getting enough reps..

Tenn has a secured starter with no competition.. So Malik is getting reps because they are the only QBS planned to be on the roster..

ATL have only 2 QB.. The 3rd is a guy making the transition to TE.. So Ridder is getting more reps..

The situation each team is in dictates different development strategies.. Shouldn't it??

Edited by WOW!!

Oh and to @Mr. Scot trying not to personally attack you.. But just because you're condescending and hoiler then thoe persona doesn't mean I can't disagree with your opinions or method to getting there..

At no point did I say you couldn't post your opinion or your wasting ppl time post what you think..

But this is a football forum you can post and be challenged on your opinion as well.. Especially with calling ppl stupid or dumb for challenging your all mighty word ..lol

• Pie 3

14 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Dumb argument because again you refuse to add context..

Different situation requires different plans to develop these QBs.. 

CONTEXT!!!

Pickett 1st round pick and by most analysts opinion is day 1 ready.. So ofcourse their is a different development plan.. But Reality is he is still splitting alot of reps with Trubisky and Mason Rudolph.. Are you up in arms that he isn't getting enough reps..

Tenn has a secured starter with no competition.. So Malik is getting reps because they are the only QBS planned to be on the roster..

ATL have only 2 QB.. The 3rd is a guy making the transition to TE.. So Ridder is getting more reps..

The situation each team is in dictates different development strategies.. Shouldn't it??

Makes you wonder if we should cut PJ and Sam.  A lot of teams are only carrying two QBs and we currently have 4 (yeah I know it's early).  I have a feeling we are rolling with 3 (Baker, Sam, Matt), but why is PJ still on our roster getting playing time?  Are other teams currently rolling 4 deep?