• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corral vs the rest of the rookie field

micnificent28

52 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Looks just like UNC football last year. Constantly something out of nothing.

He's had an impressive preseason no doubt. But he'll be running like that in the regular season until someone lays the wood. Remember when #14 was referred to as "Sam Newton" around here for a bit last season? The Falcons put an end to that pretty quick.

• Pie 1

On 8/27/2022 at 8:44 PM, micnificent28 said:

I know it's extremely early. Book isn't written and corral isn't around to defend himself. But, looking at the flashes every other peer in his tier is putting up(cough Willis, pickett, ridder) did we really miss here? 

I think you are right.  We could have had Howell, but I think having two hometown rookies on the roster would have been too much for the fan base to handle.

Edited by cmichd08
misspelling
  • Pie 1

Joe Burrow was the #1 overall pick. Sam Howell was bafflingly a 5th rounder trying to prove he deserves the nod when Wentz inevitably gets hurt. 😂

I expect Heinicke to be the #2. I expect Howell to get a shot if Wentz struggles or gets hurt for an extended period. I don't think you want to put your rookie on a position to potentially have to come in off the bench cold mid-game.

14 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Joe Burrow was the #1 overall pick. Sam Howell was bafflingly a 5th rounder trying to prove he deserves the nod when Wentz inevitably gets hurt. 😂

I expect Heinicke to be the #2. I expect Howell to get a shot if Wentz struggles or gets hurt for an extended period. I don't think you want to put your rookie on a position to potentially have to come in off the bench cold mid-game.

Oh I’m not comparing his overall skill to Burrow. Just stating these young QBs have to learn to protect themselves at this level. I think Howell has potential to be a solid starter. 

26 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

That could certainly happen here if there's a coaching change, though I doubt it would be to this level.

Worth noting that the Vikings changed both coach and GM. So far here only Matt Rhule has been talked about as being on the hot seat.

Edited by Mr. Scot

21 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Oh I’m not comparing his overall skill to Burrow. Just stating these young QBs have to learn to protect themselves at this level. I think Howell has potential to be a solid starter. 

You gotta ado what you gotta do to get to that spot that you need to protect yourself first, if that makes sense.

Honestly, I've been keeping pretty quiet on the whole thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if Corral is done.

Like, his chances of becoming anything as a QB in the NFL are next to 0 now. He came in with tools that translate well but his brain needed to be rewired through reps and practice. He was already coming in slightly rusty due to the high ankle sprain at the end of the season, and then when he got to TC he received next to no reps. Then he got thrown out into the preseason, looked like he hadn't played any actual football in 6+ months, and broke his foot. Now he won't be able to actually practice what he is learning in the classroom and getting up to NFL speed. He is on ice for the entire year.

The one thing he needed was practice and he can't get it. I would not be surprised to see him not even make it to the end of his rookie deal anymore. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1