• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official 2023 QB Watch

saX man

8 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft/2023-nfl-mock-draft-quarterback-quarterback-quarterback

Updated SI Mock has Hooker going number 2??  Seems high to me...

I saw that one and immediately stopped scrolling down to see the other picks 

Like I’ve said, I like Hooker but certainly not at 2 in any world. 

I just watched all his throws from the Kentucky game and I don’t think he had to make a single NFL style type throw 

Haven't gotten to watch the games from Saturday yet, but woof at Levis' stat line. Will be interesting seeing how much of it was related to 77 at RT who looks like Remmers vs Miller in every game they've played.

Excited to see if Stroud can make me a believer again.

Gonna do my best to be more critical of Max Duggan instead of being enthralled by. Quentin Johnston is a top 5 WR in this draft class that just goes up and makes plays, so I'll have to make sure I'm crediting him as much as I'm hyped for Duggan.

Got to make time still to watch games for McCall & DRT.

• Pie 1

CJ Stroud (his touch, accuracy, special)

gap

Bryce Young (so smart but his size and his accuracy when pressured concern me)

gap

Anthony Richardson. The tools are just too damn special to ignore due to rawness. When this dude has time in the pocket and sets his feet he’s special. 

Edited by *FreeFua*

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

CJ Stroud (his touch, accuracy, special)

gap

Bryce Young (so smart but his size and his accuracy when pressured concern me)

gap

Anthony Richardson. The tools are just too damn special to ignore due to rawness. When this dude has time in the pocket and sets his feet he’s special. 

I prefer Stroud, but I think Young has been the best under pressure.  I would list that as a strength.  

1 hour ago, Icege said:

Haven't gotten to watch the games from Saturday yet, but woof at Levis' stat line. Will be interesting seeing how much of it was related to 77 at RT who looks like Remmers vs Miller in every game they've played.

Excited to see if Stroud can make me a believer again.

Gonna do my best to be more critical of Max Duggan instead of being enthralled by. Quentin Johnston is a top 5 WR in this draft class that just goes up and makes plays, so I'll have to make sure I'm crediting him as much as I'm hyped for Duggan.

Got to make time still to watch games for McCall & DRT.

Duggan has me intrigued.  What's the negatives on him?  He has a crazy stat line and apparently runs a 4.5.  He is playing decent competition and has beaten a ranked team with a clutch drive.  He is like 6'2" which tall enough...  

26 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Duggan has me intrigued.  What's the negatives on him?  He has a crazy stat line and apparently runs a 4.5.  He is playing decent competition and has beaten a ranked team with a clutch drive.  He is like 6'2" which tall enough...  

Biggest negatives I could think of off the top of my head:

• Air Raid offense
  • Has a very good team around him (how much is the production due to him vs scheme/teammates?)
  • Lost the starting job before the season but got it back due to injury
  • Gambler/gunslinger mentality, very willing to put it up and let his guy go get it (blessing and/or a curse)

The kid throws lasers though, has plenty of arm strength, and has WHEELS. Love his willingness to trust his guy and how he doesn't hesitate to chuck it deep.

Edited by Icege

My revised weekly thoughts:

Tier 1 - Top Prospects (High R1)

A. Bryce Young

B. CJ Stroud

Tier 2A - High Risk & Reward (Really hard to order, Mid R1 to R3)

• Hendon Hooker - There comes a point where you do have to consider what he's doing, even with those TEN wideouts and lack of NFL scheming. Age 😕 25 y/0 rookie
  • Will Levis - his arm is elite, but his abilities seem to disappear in games whether it be coaching (or is it him?) Hard to tell, still waiting to really see IT with this kid.  Problem is he's going to be 24 soon
  • Michael Penix Jr. - Teetering between 2A/B for me.  Big upside, the second half of season will make or break him on scout radars.  Really like everything about him, has the downfield aggressive mentality, problem is WAS's line is ridiculous so want to see how he does against better schools. Oregon game will be big.  Nix v. Penix.

Tier 2B - Medium Risk/How really high is the the ceiling? (R3-5)

• Tanner McKee - Measures out, looks the part, acts the part..but in games? Davis Mills+
  • Grayson McCall - Like McKee, with everything laid out--stats, measurables, it seems he would be a commodity, but the lack of buzz is telling me scouts don't really view him super highly, likely for his fair accuracy & avg/slightly above avg arm combo

Tier 3 - Developmental/Not there yet

• Cam Ward - Love him, but he needs to stay in school.
  • Anthony Richardson - Talent is there, playmaking is there, can he progress enough or does he stay in school? 

4 minutes ago, Icege said:

Biggest negatives I could think of off the top of my head:

• Air Raid offense
  • Has a very good team around him (how much is the production due to him vs scheme/teammates?)
  • Lost the starting job before the season but got it back due to injury
  • Gambler/gunslinger mentality, very willing to put it up and let his guy go get it (blessing and/or a curse)

The kid throws lasers though, has plenty of arm strength, and has WHEELS. Love his willingness to trust his guy and how he doesn't hesitate to chuck it deep.

Looks like he only has one INT on the season?  I know he has an awesome WR, but so does Stroud, Hooker and others being considered at the top.  Air Raid doesn't bother me as much as it use to.  I think NFL teams are incorporating some of that into their offenses these days.

• Beer 1

Some Max Duggan highlights...

vs. Oklahoma

I'll try and go through the other games I've watched vs Kansas State and Oklahoma State to grab some other highlights.

Another flaw that I noticed while pulling these that Duggan does have the occasional "Who the Hell were you throwing it to? A fuging giant?" moments.

@ForJimmy

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If you could wave a magic wand and make young 3" taller and 30 pounds heavier then he'd basically be a perfect prospect for the modern NFL. Unfortunately you can't I suspect the very legitimate size concerns will lead to his evaluations varying wildly from team to team.

He is going to show up with some platform shoes and a bag of McDonalds.