• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Refs screwed us

gorillamilitia13

It's a 60-minute football game and the Carolina Panthers did not put forth their best effort (or maybe they did) for 60 solid minutes. And, if you're comfortable laying this loss at the feet of the officials, then don't watch the NFL any more. You don't know enough about the game to watch.

You take care of business for 60 minutes and don't create a situation for officials to make a subjective call.

Just out of curiosity, how many post-game pressers lamented the outcome of the game and how the officials cost the Panthers the victory? How many players made comments to that effect?

• Beer 2
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

6 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

It's a 60-minute football game and the Carolina Panthers did not put forth their best effort (or maybe they did) for 60 solid minutes. And, if you're comfortable laying this loss at the feet of the officials, then don't watch the NFL any more. You don't know enough about the game to watch.

You take care of business for 60 minutes and don't create a situation for officials to make a subjective call.

Just out of curiosity, how many post-game pressers lamented the outcome of the game and how the officials cost the Panthers the victory? How many players made comments to that effect?

Players get in trouble complaining about the refs but, CMC who never complains about ref-ing, called it a "horrid call", Burns, pretty much the same thing.

Tell me you don't know anything about football without saying you don't know anything about football.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, poundaway said:

Players get in trouble complaining about the refs but, CMC who never complains about ref-ing, called it a "horrid call", Burns, pretty much the same thing.

Players get fined for disparaging refs, just like coaches. And people who know anything about football would know that.

Funny, haven't seen any fines levied by the league for criticizing refs. And those are usually doled out on Tuesdays.

But yeah, keep complaining about officiating. The only questionable call made was roughing the passer- a judgment call, just like the spike. But if you want to get calls going your way, you need to be a good team. Good teams get calls that go in their favor. Not teams who give up 217 rushing yards at 5.6yds a carry. Good teams don't catch about 100 yds in penalties. Manage to move the ball and manage the clock- 21 minutes of possession in a 60-minute game is not going to win many. 

It's a bad team with no discipline. And, to make matters worse, blaming the refs is a clear demonstration of the lack of accountability.

Now, go on, and get back to class.

• Beer 2

5 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

The only questionable call made was roughing the passer- a judgment call, just like the spike.

So how can roughing the passer call be the only questionable call and then also be "just like the spike", another call/no call.

Thats 2 calls on the same GWD.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/13/end-zone-angle-shows-matt-rhule-was-right-about-missed-intentional-grounding-call/

End-zone angle shows Matt Rhule was right about missed intentional grounding call

Brissett did indeed step back. It was obvious from the TV angle. Here’s what wasn’t obvious. From the end-zone angle (which I have seen with my own lying eyes), Brissett executes a quick but definite pump toward the ground after getting the snap and before stepping back.

There would have been a clock run off and we would have won the game.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, poundaway said:

Tell me you don't know anything about football without saying you don't know anything about football.

it was a horrible call. 

but players and coaches in the NFL will consistently tell you it's not one bad call that determines any game.  It's what you did all those other plays and that cumulation that really determines the outcome.   Fans just focus on the last plays.   All those horrific drives earlier in the game in reality are more impactful to what the eventual outcome was. 

you can't be the joke we were all game and then blame the refs because they fugged up on a drive.  We set the stage for it. 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

it was a horrible call. 

but players and coaches in the NFL will consistently tell you it's not one bad call that determines any game.  It's what you did all those other plays and that cumulation that really determines the outcome.   Fans just focus on the last plays.   All those horrific drives earlier in the game in reality are more impactful to what the eventual outcome was. 

you can't be the joke we were all game and then blame the refs because they fugged up on a drive.  We set the stage for it. 

What if we had played a good game, and then it came down to these two calls? Would you still be apathetic to the calls?

18 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

What if we had played a good game, and then it came down to these two calls? Would you still be apathetic to the calls?

I mean, my stance doesn't change.  I echo the same one almost every player and coach speak of. 

it was a bad call.  we focus on the ones at the very end of the game.  But the game is decided by 60 minutes.   And the cumulation of all those other plays outweighs one call, no matter where the bad one comes.   

Refs make bad calls from start to finish.  That's why you get 60 minutes. 

I'm not apathetic to the calls.  They blew them.  They blew others.  They will blow a bunch Sunday vs the Giants too.   Will they do it on the last play of the game? Hopefully not. 

and I'm sure in their mind they botched it because they errored on the side of just letting the players decide the end.  Is what it is.  We had plenty of opportunity to not let any one call dictate it. 

I really don't see a lot of value in the whole "what if this" and "what if that" stuff about the game.

What it all ultimately boils down to is "What if all the stuff that was bad about our team, our coaching staff and the game we played this past Sunday was good?"

Well, that'd be great, wouldn't it?

But it isn't, and it wasn't, and it's not going to change so there's not a lot we can do about that except talk about it, which is ultimately kinda useless.

Probably time to move on...

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, my stance doesn't change.  I echo the same one almost every player and coach speak of. 

it was a bad call.  we focus on the ones at the very end of the game.  But the game is decided by 60 minutes.   And the cumulation of all those other plays outweighs one call, no matter where the bad one comes.   

I'm not apathetic to the calls.  They blew them.  They blew others.  They will blow a bunch Sunday vs the Giants too.   Will they do it on the last play of the game? Hopefully not. 

Having your margins so razor thin where a bad call tanks the game against a qb like brissette then its probably time to look in the mirror

I dont think you guys quite comprehend just how bad of a qb he really is and it was on display numerous times on Sunday. 

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

So, if we had played a good game and these calls happen? You'd be good with that? Because, after all, bad calls happen. I bet you'd be the only one. 

2 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

Had it been a penalty, they still could have kicked- there were 13 seconds left. However, they would have had to get lined up and kick in 3 seconds when the ref blew the whistle. A bit more pressure and further away. Prolly would been a Hail Mary.

yeah, no way to recreate the same kick in a new scenario.  But the kick he did hit would have been good from another 10 back.   It was an impressive kick from a rookie.  I frankly didn't think it had a chance.  Bet the refs might of been thinking of that in the back of their minds too.