• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rebuild and Fire Sale

Matthias

Alright folks, if you are thinking we have a chance to get our first win this season, let me help you out in saying, it's not happening.  We won't get our first win this season until Rhule has officially packed his bags and is out the door.  Depending on who takes over as interim, it still may be a toss up.  You know, the nfl power rankings before the season had us as the worst team in the league.  They were right on the money with that one, and of course it is primarily because of our coaching staff.  Take our defense for instance.  Half the time I don't know if they want to play in the 4-3 scheme, or some wonky looking 3-4.  We don't even have a proper mike linebacker to run either front.  The only reason we've played close games so far, is due to the incompetence of the teams we've played.  That actually might continue today with Famous Jameis, but I believe he's good enough and certainly has the players around him that are good enough to beat us today.

All that said, we will certainly have the first overall pick next year.  So for the off season, we need to wash the slate clean from top to bottom.  If we can get draft picks for players, no one is off the table.  If we can trade CMC, do it.  If we can trade Brian Burns, it's time to start singing "Its so hard to say goodbye to yesterday".  We have a stock market crash and we need to sale, sale, sale!!!  

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Someone would take CMC in a heartbeat. 

Maybe and I mean highly unlikely a late first.... to just eat the next two years of cap space in his deal.... For the panthers not some other team. The two restructures put them on the hook for a lot more guarenteed money that ended up po rated.

• Pie 1

The mid-season fire sale scenario is extremely unlikely. I saw a couple of people mention that and it's basically all but an impossibility. 

The offseason fire sale is really hard to predict. It's going to really depend on who our new GM is(If Fitterer gets elevated to GM or we bring in someone else) and who our new HC is. Without any idea of the architect of this new "re-rebuilding" I don't see how this is something that is reasonable to assume or want.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 2

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The mid-season fire sale scenario is extremely unlikely. I saw a couple of people mention that and it's basically all but an impossibility. 

The offseason fire sale is really hard to predict. It's going to really depend on who our new GM is(If Fitterer gets elevated to GM or we bring in someone else) and who our new HC is. Without any idea of the architect of this new "re-rebuilding" I don't see how this is something that is reasonable to assume or want.

We have a bunch of expensive players as it is and we are looking at having to extend Brown, chinn and burns.  And thats obviously without a qb on the roster so I have to assume we draft one in the first come hell or high water.

So moving forward something has to happen with Shaq, cmc, Robbie and maybe a slight restructure of Moton to give us some flexibility in the future.

***edit I just checked and shaq is off the books after next season.  I swore he signed a 4 year ext recently.  Damn why did I think that?

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

We have a bunch of expensive players as it is and we are looking at having to extend Brown, chinn and burns.  And thats obviously without a qb on the roster so I have to assume we draft one in the first come hell or high water.

So moving forward something has to happen with Shaq, cmc, Robbie and maybe a slight restructure of Moton to give us some flexibility in the future.

***edit I just checked and shaq is off the books after next season.  I swore he signed a 4 year ext recently.  Damn why did I think that?

I don't disagree that there will be some tough choices(and easy choices) but we have no clue what the architect of this new team will be. It's going to be really difficult to get a bead ok who is going and who is staying based on that fact alone.

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't disagree that there will be some tough choices(and easy choices) but we have no clue what the architect of this new team will be. It's going to be really difficult to get a bead ok who is going and who is staying based on that fact alone.

I hear you and agree, but I have watched football a long time and I am pretty sure the new coach (and gm?) are going to come in here and not have the dumbass rhule line of thinking of "this roster can win now".  They are 100% going to see this as a rebuild and more then likely have to strip this puppy for parts and build it again.  You know something that should have been done 3 years ago

19 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I hear you and agree, but I have watched football a long time and I am pretty sure the new coach (and gm?) are going to come in here and not have the dumbass rhule line of thinking of "this roster can win now".  They are 100% going to see this as a rebuild and more then likely have to strip this puppy for parts and build it again.  You know something that should have been done 3 years ago

Well we did completely strip it and try to build it again. It was just a massive failure.

It is going to take knowing who is coming in for me to assess what I think will happen.

• Pie 1

34 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

It would also be assuming Tepper would agree to allowing a coach/gm to rebuild. Doesn’t seem like it’ll happen when his whole reason for getting rhule was to escape mediocre play. If all the “tepper wants to win and win now” talk is true then i highly doubt it. Plus our roster isn’t in the current state of a seahawks or falcons team. We aren’t great but we don’t need to rebuild. Just need the right coach and culture in place IMO.

I’d structure contracts to get them off the books as soon as possible and make those players a lot more attractive trade targets to other teams. 

Acquire draft capital and plan heavily for the future. Trade down and for the future until the cap is healthy. 

Draft the best guys you can find from the top colleges in the area for some local color. Bring in interesting players like Obada again. Be fun. 

That’s my tank plan. We’ve needed to tank since Cam’s arm was shot. 

3 minutes ago, CarolinaLivin said:

It would also be assuming Tepper would agree to allowing a coach/gm to rebuild. Doesn’t seem like it’ll happen when his whole reason for getting rhule was to escape mediocre play. If all the “tepper wants to win and win now” talk is true then i highly doubt it. Plus our roster isn’t in the current state of a seahawks or falcons team. We aren’t great but we don’t need to rebuild. Just need the right coach and culture in place IMO.

There are a lot of ifs in there, to be sure. I definitely think the roster is much worse than most fans want to believe, so I think rebuilding is going to happen no matter what the scenario. We still have to recover from multiple bad drafts in a row and a lot of bad free agent signings(those will be easier to shed).

Also worried about the culture. Indications are that Rhule has populated the place with "his" guys that also share his lack of accountability and some other negative traits. That's not good for a pretty young team. 

My biggest fear is that this is going to be viewed as a lower tier coaching job and we end up missing out on good candidates.

• Pie 2