• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Evaluation of all offensive plays evaluation of Baker in cards game

raleigh-panther

This is a very interesting link. Breaks down all offensive drives Just have to get used to the evaluator’s overuse of the words ‘pedestrian’ instead of average and ‘egregious’

Summary 

1  poor coaching

poor play design.   Baker only having one receiver or  receivers being bunched together in small space on routes 

2  poor play calls and timing of calls   Using cmc inappropriately 

3  dropped balls by TEs

4  oline constantly being pushed backwards even with 3 step drops   Tackle play poor  Moton has really regressed  don’t know if he is injured  

5  oline repeatedly allowing Dlinemen to get hands up contributing to batter balls. vs oline delivering gut punches to make the dline less likely to do it again   Makes the point that with hands raised and no pushback, baker would have to throw over 10 feet high and not even Josh Allen can do that   Not sure why Campen has not addressed this 

6. baker had 3 bad throws and several misreads but in some cases, he had no choice as on the 2 point conversion attempt 

net baker is a mostly average qb and the play around his and the poor coaching is not going to cut it 

there is more but I think I got the highlights   If you have time to watch the video it’s fairly interesting and also sad

How bad was Baker Mayfield in week 4

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I think it's important to emphasize the part about there being only one receiver in many routes, as it lends to my belaboring the point about the RPOs/playcalls being a huge chunk of the problem.  Again, with most RPOs, you only have 1, maybe 2 at most, receiving options, but generally, realistically, no matter how many routes are included, there is really only 1 available because of the timing of the play.  If you take too long to throw, you'll end up getting an illegal man downfield penalty because they continue to block as if it was a run...  so because of the timing, you only have that primary read or hand it off.  Again, it's why I keep saying they're running way too much of it and it compounds and accentuates why the offense looks so disjointed and so dysfunctional.  From the batted balls to the seeming bad play calls where it appears nothing was ever open and we just eat a sack or hand it off late to a TFL...  so much of it is because they keep running RPOs.  The defensive linemen mush rushing to watch the run while they are playing the one route, the DBs are sitting on those limited routes, and it leaves nothing in a matter of a second or two after the snap.  I just can't understand, especially considering the early returns, why McAdoodoo insists on continuing continuing run it so much, if at all at this point.  It is such a hindrance.

• Pie 1

There are better breakdowns out there of this game (Unnecessary Bluntness for one), and with this video doing so not from the ALL22 film, he's missing any real perspective on reads, progressions, open windows, timing, etc. In order to get any sense of a WR being open when the QB is reading the area. 

Some of the "pedestrian" throws are not so pedestrian in the ALL22, but I've watched the offense from this game six times now,  and the offensive scheme looks worse and worse,  playcalls are less explicable, CMC impresses more and more in ever making gains with the run calls and blocking, and the QB looks less bad (even good at times) unless you choose to lay all the blame on the blocked passes at his feet, which sure, why not, since it's not ideal and he's the one throwing the ball, and we can't be sure its not Mayfield isn't optioning to the short game and tipping Watt and Zach Allen to the precise pass play that's coming. 

Batted passes don't happen in the first half though, so something is rotten in the playbook/execution. 

Rewatching the three TE drops on the first three drives just makes me laugh now. 

Link to a superior breakdown, if anyone missed it. 

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

I think it's important to emphasize the part about there being only one receiver in many routes, as it lends to my belaboring the point about the RPOs/playcalls being a huge chunk of the problem.  Again, with most RPOs, you only have 1, maybe 2 at most, receiving options, but generally, realistically, no matter how many routes are included, there is really only 1 available because of the timing of the play.  If you take too long to throw, you'll end up getting an illegal man downfield penalty because they continue to block as if it was a run...  so because of the timing, you only have that primary read or hand it off.  Again, it's why I keep saying they're running way too much of it and it compounds and accentuates why the offense looks so disjointed and so dysfunctional.  From the batted balls to the seeming bad play calls where it appears nothing was ever open and we just eat a sack or hand it off late to a TFL...  so much of it is because they keep running RPOs.  The defensive linemen mush rushing to watch the run while they are playing the one route, the DBs are sitting on those limited routes, and it leaves nothing in a matter of a second or two after the snap.  I just can't understand, especially considering the early returns, why McAdoodoo insists on continuing continuing run it so much, if at all at this point.  It is such a hindrance.

When you spent all off-season giving your starter limited reps because of a “qb competition” this is what you get. 

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, AlphabetsEnd said:

There are better breakdowns out there of this game (Unnecessary Bluntness for one), and with this video doing so not from the ALL22 film, he's missing any real perspective on reads, progressions, open windows, timing, etc. In order to get any sense of a WR being open when the QB is reading the area. 

Some of the "pedestrian" throws are not so pedestrian in the ALL22, but I've watched the offense from this game six times now,  and the offensive scheme looks worse and worse,  playcalls are less explicable, CMC impresses more and more in ever making gains with the run calls and blocking, and the QB looks less bad (even good at times) unless you choose to lay all the blame on the blocked passes at his feet, which sure, why not, since it's not ideal and he's the one throwing the ball, and we can't be sure its not Mayfield isn't optioning to the short game and tipping Watt and Zach Allen to the precise pass play that's coming. 

Batted passes don't happen in the first half though, so something is rotten in the playbook/execution. 

Rewatching the three TE drops on the first three drives just makes me laugh now. 

Link to a superior breakdown, if anyone missed it. 

thank you for sharing the video 

I believe it’s very important to hear all of the different versions of the analysis as some of this is not just Baker (he is the one the camera is on) but  a combination of  very poor coaching (technique, scheme, plays, groupings. Situational selection) and poor efforts by players

I know Moton is over promoted on the team as for years he was the best of the worst but his performances are very poor   Or it could be that injury is worse than being talked about 

There are many evaluations   

I wonder how much of this the Panthers coaches do…do they even know what they are looking at ? 

To be fair to the evaluator, he said at the beginning that the All 22 film was not yet available when he released his first version and he would do a revision when available 

It is a very sad evaluation of a supposedly pro offense in any case 

Ah, I missed the mention of the ALL22 not being released. It seems to be releasing on Xbox NFL+ at a different time than on other platforms or the web browser, sometimes, because apparently some people still don't have Saint's ALL22, and I watched that all last week. 

Moton seems hurt. The line is still gelling, but they are much better than in the early games, in my opinion. They just seem to break down with blitzes or any d-line tricks that rapidly change blocking assignments or manifest an unexpected blocker. 

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, Luke the Drifter said:

The most basic, though not only, reason for Mayfield’s difficulties is that the OL has been ranked between 22 and 24 for at least two years. But what really agitates me is this is never even mentioned by the geniuses who cover the team. 

Luke Decock is the only one will the balls to call it like WE see it.

30 minutes ago, Luke the Drifter said:

The most basic, though not only, reason for Mayfield’s difficulties is that the OL has been ranked between 22 and 24 for at least two years. But what really agitates me is this is never even mentioned by the geniuses who cover the team. 

isn't there a stats showing Baker has one of the longest times to throw in the NFL on the year? 

• Beer 1