• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Demolition Ahead...

davos

Alrighty the elephant is out of the room and probably in the great state of Nebraska or Arizona soon.  Wilks and PJ are the tank commanders, and hopefully we've seen the last of Baker and Darnold.

Let us survey the demolition of the Carolina Panthers.  Presented by Harris Teeter...

OFFENSE

QB

Corral remains - Rookie Contract, doesn't look good though

RB

CMC - Has a contract out end of this year/could currently be shopped for something as he is finally healthy-ish.  Not safe.

FB

None

TE

Thomas - His contract is actually cuttable post-23, but likely still around

Tremble - Rookie contract

WR

DJ Moore - Deserves better, could get great value, or is he worth keeping until we get good again?

Shi & Marshall - I mean, they're on rookie deals but it doesn't look pretty

Robbie/y - Puke, but cuttable

OL

Icky, Corbett, Moton, Christensen, & Mays could stick 1+, the rest? GONE

DEFENSE

DL

Derrick Brown, Gross-Matos look to be capable and can get better. Haynes I still like.  Scheme versatile.  Not seeing much retention elsewhere. Maybe Barno.

LB

Shaq but is honestly cuttable, maybe Luvu

DB

Chinn, Woods, Horn, Donte, & Taylor

CONCLUSION

This could be a pretty massive reconstruction ahead.  Reassessing the roster, I didn't realize how bad it had become since the 2015 team's shadow dissolved.  I realistically see 4-6 starters on defense and around ~3ish on offense (mainly OL) that will hold.  The rest of this team is ready for a complete overhaul of a rather strangely built roster.

So we have about three quarters of the active roster to rebuild under a new coach.  

Who's up for that challenge?

20 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

This roster is in better shape than the Giants and look at what Daboll has done there...with a bad to mediocre QB. 

I don't buy that this is a huge rebuild in the least. A competent coach and we may be a .500 team. A competent coach and decent QB and we're in the playoffs. 

I just don't see the talent to be honest.  The OL and DBs are super promising but the rest of the team could really use a whole rest.  QB, WRs, RBs, TE, LBs, all need a bit of a reset; depending on the coach.

• Beer 2

5 minutes ago, davos said:

I just don't see the talent to be honest.  The OL and DBs are super promising but the rest of the team could really use a whole rest.  QB, WRs, RBs, TE, LBs, all need a bit of a reset; depending on the coach.

We really dont have much under contract at those postions. So at this point a reset happens regardless if a coach comes in and does it or not.

We have 1 qb under contract next year, as you pointed out.

Shaq, Luvu, DW and the rookies are the only LBers under contract. Shaq is pretty much gone bc of the cap savings. Luvu and DW are on extremely cheap contracts.

I dont see why we would reset our WR room. It's not like its a void of talent, its just missing a true #1. The rest can stay (Robbie is gone, this shouldnt need to be said).

TE room is a cuttable contract away from just being Tremble. 

RB room is CMC. 

I dont think there will be pieces we need to kick out. These positions are goin to need to be filled regardless of what happens from here and to the offseason. 

• Pie 2

We don't need to tear down and rebuild we have premium talent at the MOST important positions on this team aside from QB. 

What this team needs is a QB, and tbf even a rookie doesn't guarantee a change, but it's the natural step. Use the 1st on a QB if high enough, and use the high 2nd to trade back in the second while adding a 3rd and another pick or two in the latter rounds. 

And as far as guys we could trade for value most of them if not all but Burns who IMO is untouchable all have sizeable dead money. 

Solve QB, we have the pieces in place to compete. 

41 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

This roster is in better shape than the Giants and look at what Daboll has done there...with a bad to mediocre QB. 

I don't buy that this is a huge rebuild in the least. A competent coach and we may be a .500 team. A competent coach and decent QB and we're in the playoffs. 

I don't think any NFL team is that far from competing.  A good coach can make a team look better almost instantly.  The whole multi year process thing is a load of bull.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

We really dont have much under contract at those postions. So at this point a reset happens regardless if a coach comes in and does it or not.

We have 1 qb under contract next year, as you pointed out.

Shaq, Luvu, DW and the rookies are the only LBers under contract. Shaq is pretty much gone bc of the cap savings. Luvu and DW are on extremely cheap contracts.

I dont see why we would reset our WR room. It's not like its a void of talent, its just missing a true #1. The rest can stay (Robbie is gone, this shouldnt need to be said).

TE room is a cuttable contract away from just being Tremble. 

RB room is CMC. 

I dont think there will be pieces we need to kick out. These positions are goin to need to be filled regardless of what happens from here and to the offseason. 

True to an extent when looking at expirings vs. cuttables.  Reset, rebuild, whatever we call it is upon us.

Think CMC and DJ are the obvious two pillars of the offense to watch.  I like DJ but do wonder if we could net a 1st for him and send him to KC or GB.  

As you said Robbie and Shaq are as good as gone. 

We likely will make some big decisions in the coming weeks.  Teams will be calling...

Y'all continue to sleep on my boy! He's going to come back even stronger, better.

Those people that continue to drink the RhuleAid thinking Young Lion isn't ready are very much in line with the mental capacity of the idiot who put the future at the end of the bench, undeservedly.

We're drafting Will Anderson or Miles Murphy. You know why?...

Captain Phillips GIF

Screenshot_20221010-140330~2.png

16 minutes ago, davos said:

True to an extent when looking at expirings vs. cuttables.  Reset, rebuild, whatever we call it is upon us.

Think CMC and DJ are the obvious two pillars of the offense to watch.  I like DJ but do wonder if we could net a 1st for him and send him to KC or GB.  

As you said Robbie and Shaq are as good as gone. 

We likely will make some big decisions in the coming weeks.  Teams will be calling...

I dont want to ship out DJ, I understand the idea of it and wouldn't be butt hurt about it. However, if you get a true #1 beside him... it would be quite the compliment in production for our offense.

We're a coaching staff and a QB away from competing.

All I want to hear from the next coach is that he's excited to spend our very high draft pick on a QB, build a team around him, and develop him. If a candidate even mentions a retread vet as anything more than a bandaid option so that the rookie isn't forced into action before being ready then thanks for your time bro, but this ain't what we're looking for.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

I dont want to ship out DJ, I understand the idea of it and wouldn't be butt hurt about it. However, if you get a true #1 beside him... it would be quite the compliment in production for our offense.

Yeah, for me, surveying the league and current formula for success, we really need to land another WR along with the obvious need at QB if we want to become successful again.  In my view, IDL & WR have become key in the current 'league-wide adjustment chess match'.  

Diggs+Davis, Chase+Higgins+Boyd, Evans+Godwin+Jones, Brown+Devonta+Quez, you just need that arsenal these days as teams (like we've done) have been beefing up their DB rooms with these rangy, versatile guys.  LAR would not be the defending champs without Kupp (or Donald for that matter which is also my other ideal positional target)  

List of wants:

Offensive HC, new staff

QB

3-Down multi-tech next to Brown

WR1

3-Down DE w/strong run defense

1-2 LBs

C (If Bozeman doesn't step in place of Elf at this point, there's something weird)

An effective RB room, not bellcow

Backup QB (Don't trust Corral in that role from what I've seen)

It quickly adds up.  I just don't buy we're some talented team with a bunch of pillars.  We've got a good crop of 6-8ish solid core pieces, but not a single CURRENT (not future) elite/upper echelon talent.

Chinn & Horn have that potential together

CMC is teetering on elite, but you just can't trust him at all

DJ is basically around a Torry Holt-type level.

1 minute ago, davos said:

Yeah, for me, surveying the league and current formula for success, we really need to land another WR along with the obvious need at QB if we want to become successful again.  In my view, IDL & WR have become key in the current 'league-wide adjustment chess match'.  

Diggs+Davis, Chase+Higgins+Boyd, Evans+Godwin+Jones, Brown+Devonta+Quez, you just need that arsenal these days as teams (like we've done) have been beefing up their DB rooms with these rangy, versatile guys.  LAR would not be the defending champs without Kupp (or Donald for that matter which is also my other ideal positional target)  

List of wants:

Offensive HC, new staff

QB

3-Down multi-tech next to Brown

WR1

3-Down DE w/strong run defense

1-2 LBs

C (If Bozeman doesn't step in place of Elf at this point, there's something weird)

An effective RB room, not bellcow

Backup QB (Don't trust Corral in that role from what I've seen)

It quickly adds up.  I just don't buy we're some talented team with a bunch of pillars.  We've got a good crop of 6-8ish solid core pieces, but not a single CURRENT (not future) elite/upper echelon talent.

Chinn & Horn have that potential together

CMC is teetering on elite, but you just can't trust him at all

DJ is basically around a Torry Holt-type level.

I agree with alot of this, except CMC not being elite. He is elite in the NFL. 

• Pie 1