• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Takeaways: Reading between the lines

NAS

17 minutes ago, ickmule said:

20 years from now he may have learned enough to actually be a good owner, but I doubt it. He acted like he was mad at the world and the only person he should be mad at is himself. He needs to take a long look in the mirror.  

Agreed, despite those flashes of humility, the overall tone was standoff-ish and angry.  He clearly didn't like being called out of the turnover and Rovk Hill stuff.  He also did not want to fully acknowledge or own ALL of the failure that has persisted under his charge.

• Pie 3

The Panthers fired head coach Matt Rhule on Monday and owner David Tepper said at a press conference that it is premature to start talking about what the team will be looking for in their next head coach.

Rhule used the same word when it came to discussing General Manager Scott Fitterer’s future with the team. Tepper gave no indication that there is any thought of making a change right now, but he said that any discussion about 2023 will have to wait.

“It’s a little premature to ask those questions. Scott is our G.M.,” Tepper said.

Tepper did say that he wants to see “better balance” between the head coach and G.M. as the team moves forward. Rhule was on the job a year before Fitterer was fired and the coach had a heavy hand in the personnel department, so Tepper’s words suggest they’ll go with a different approach in the future.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/10/david-tepper-premature-to-ask-if-scott-fitterer-will-be-g-m-in-2023/

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, he was very complimentary of the roster, even mentioning that it’s “improved over the past few years”.

Not sure where people are getting any Fitterer hate out of that presser.

There was a question asked about Fitt and whether he would stay on the team after the season. Tepper basically said that it’s too early to talk about it and that he is focused on the rest of the season and that. He said Scott is the GM right now and wouldn’t commit to the future so that is why I’m very skeptical if he will stay on as the GM. He may but again didn’t really sound like a resounding yes until I think he sees where lands with the head-coaching search.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, NAS said:

There was a question asked about Fitt and whether he would stay on the team after the season. Tepper basically said that it’s too early to talk about it and that he is focused on the rest of the season and that. He said Scott is the GM right now and wouldn’t commit to the future so that is why I’m very skeptical if he will stay on as the GM. He may but again didn’t really sound like a resounding yes until I think he sees where lands with the head-coaching search.

he sees our lack of picks this year and is like "How the fug did that happen?"

2 minutes ago, NAS said:

The quote in context…

That doesn’t imply anything negative, especially within the context of his quotes about how good he thinks the roster is.

(unless you think he’s crediting the improvement of the roster “over the past few years” to Rhule)

18 minutes ago, NAS said:

Tepper deflected any speculation about the end of the season, that was not unique to just Fitterer.  I didn't get the vibe that Scott was in any immediate danger.  He will get to pick his coach and likely at least a full season with that coach before getting the axe if the product stays abysmal.  I'd say offseason 2024 would be the earliest Fitterer is canned.

Edited by 45catfan

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The quote in context…

That doesn’t imply anything negative, especially within the context of his quotes about how good he thinks the roster is.

(unless you think he’s crediting the improvement of the roster “over the past few years” to Rhule)

It’s not exactly an endorsement if you can’t commit to retain your GM. My thread is about reading between the lines which I know you struggle with.  

Edited by NAS

7 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Tepper deflected any speculation about the end of the season, that was not unique to just Fitterer.  I didn't get the vibe that Scott was in any immediate danger.  He will get to pick his coach and likely at least a full season with that coach before getting the axe if the product stays abysmal.  I'd say offseason 2024 would be the earliest Fitterer is canned.

I don’t think Scott will be picking the coach even if he is retained 

Just now, NAS said:

I don’t think Scott will be picking the coach even if he is retained 

100% on Scott? No, but will he have a say like Hurney did?  Absolutely.  Tepper will obviously have to give his stamp of approval, but I think this time around he's going to lean on the GM to do the bulk of the leg work and give the final thumbs up or down.  Tepper knows his finger prints were ALL over the Rhule hire.  This time around I don't think he's going put himself in the position to be the fall guy if the next HC doesn't work out.

39 minutes ago, NAS said:

It’s not exactly an endorsement if you can’t commit to retain your GM. My thread is about reading between the lines which I know you struggle with.  

If you read what Tepper said as meaning Fitterer is in danger, you're not "reading between", you're "reading in".

• Beer 1