• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Remember the Twitter thread about Wilks and Snow arguing?

top dawg

9 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Either way the combo of Wilks zone secondary and Snow's front 7 made zero sense. I'm not a fan of the zone stuff but I'm assuming he needs the front 7 doing particular things for the whole thing to work. In a perfect world he would switch to man and blitz like crazy but it may be zone and blitz like crazy

I'm pretty sure when Wilks ran the defense after McD left we transitioned to more man + pressures, the heavy zone was under McDermott who was an understudy of Jimmy Johnson in Philly. 

it's been years since then, but if memory serves that was the case. So even though Wilks as the secondary coach was likely primarily coaching zone it was a result of the defense McDermott wanted to run. 

We saw Wilks' preference when he took the reigns as it actually started off bad that season, and later I think we ended up finishing in the top 10. 

Right now front wise we make more sense as a 3-4 or 4-3 over / under fronts as a base, and a 2-4 as our nickel package, hopefully the 3-3-5 stuff we saw is tossed, and we get back to more traditional NFL fronts / personnel packages. 

3-4

IDL - Io / McCall / Brown 

Edge - Burns / YGM / Haynes <<< depending on 3-4 or 43

ILB - Shaq / Wilson / Nickel >>> Smith IMO needs to be paired with Shaq, he's our biggest, and most athletic offball LB'er

Corner / SS -  We already know who belongs in these spots, I will they need to stop asking Henderson to cover the #1 WR, get Jaycee out of the nickel spot and let him travel whether it's zone or man to each boundary, rotate Henderson, and Hartsfield as the nickel based on packages / offensive personnel, I think they were asking too much of Henderson. Pretty much all the issues with him occurred vs the number one receiver.

• Beer 1

55 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Perhaps, but I think it's a little presumptive to base whether or not he'd be a good head coach on that. 

Look, I'm not beating the drum for Wilks, but I'm also not going to dismiss him out of hand without context and before we can see more. Chances are, just the fact that he temporarily inherits this mess, he'll be sent packing in January.

Well the only context we have is his last chance as head coach, which was bad, so we will see what happens. 
This is still a Rhule built team so if he actually turns out a watchable product in spite of that I will be impressed. 

10 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah, people wanting him to can McAdoo, it's pretty much impossible to install a new playbook on that side of the ball. He can try to convince McAdoo to call the games differently but that's about it. Only other option is to have Sean Ryan learn and call McAdoo's playbook which doesn't sound promising

Yeah, but installing a new defensive scheme, thats a breeze.

LOL

On 10/11/2022 at 5:25 AM, Aussie Tank said:

He inherited McDermotts Defence and made it worse than got a HC gig and poo the bed so I’m not really hoping he gets the full time gig 

After looking at his stint as coordinator and HC, I really see this as a PR stunt because so many were calling for Rhules head. We will probably be drafting top 3this year. That should get us one of the top 2 quarterbacks. I am still willing to draft Will Anderson if we get a proven  quality free agent QB but drafting a QB sets your salary cap up for the long haul. 

56 minutes ago, Beast_3000 said:

After looking at his stint as coordinator and HC, I really see this as a PR stunt because so many were calling for Rhules head. We will probably be drafting top 3this year. That should get us one of the top 2 quarterbacks. I am still willing to draft Will Anderson if we get a proven  quality free agent QB but drafting a QB sets your salary cap up for the long haul. 

If they move Burns for a haul they could grab Anderson and a QB in the first have 2 cornerstone pieces on rookie deals. Burns ain’t gonna be cheap