• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tanier: Panthers in Good Shape

UNCrules2187

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm far from convinced that David Tepper himself isn't the Panthers' biggest problem.

The fact that he actually sounded a bit humbled/defeated at times during his press conference gives me a small sliver of hope that he might get something right this time, if only by accident. I'm hardly counting on it, but it's a sliver more than I had in the recent past.

The fire sale was more about the pathetic 4 picks we hold now in 2023 than just getting rid of guys. Wait a couple of weeks and when the reality catches up with everyone and Wilks gets some time without any moves then it's time to start talking selling players. 2 or 3 weeks and losses is enough time and just before the trade deadline. A win or 2 could change that. 

I like those building blocks but disagree about Burns. Depending on the next coach and scheme he could be a building block or be a trade piece, just wait and see what is best and no reason to give this crew another contract to craft without input from the new HC & crew. I like the idea that if we are keeping CMC regardless then IR him and lean on him next year with a rookie though I don't really care if they do trade him. RBs are replaceable and come much cheaper and we all have learned with him you can't run an offense on just a RB. The Anderson trade should already be in the works and I can't wait to not have to hear his BS anymore. 

I hope Tepper has isolated the problems but I fear there are still more laying around now that the most obvious one is gone. Like as in Tepper himself and anyone hustling him and his money. 

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, KSpan said:

The fact that he actually sounded a bit humbled/defeated at times during his press conference gives me a small sliver of hope that he might get something right this time, if only by accident. I'm hardly counting on it, but it's a sliver more than I had in the recent past.

He sounded that way when he was sticking to the script. The longer he went and the more frustrated he got the more he seemed like the same old cocky asshole.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Waldo said:

The fire sale was more about the pathetic 4 picks we hold now in 2023 than just getting rid of guys. Wait a couple of weeks and when the reality catches up with everyone and Wilks gets some time without any moves then it's time to start talking selling players. 2 or 3 weeks and losses is enough time and just before the trade deadline. A win or 2 could change that. 

I like those building blocks but disagree about Burns. Depending on the next coach and scheme he could be a building block or be a trade piece, just wait and see what is best and no reason to give this crew another contract to craft without input from the new HC & crew. I like the idea that if we are keeping CMC regardless then IR him and lean on him next year with a rookie though I don't really care if they do trade him RBs are replaceable and come much cheaper and we all have learned with him you can't run an offense on just a RB. The Anderson trade should already be in the works and I can't wait to not have to hear his BS anymore. 

I hope Tepper has isolated the problems but I fear there are still more laying around now that the most obvious one is gone. Like as in Tepper himself and anyone hustling him and his money. 

Oh, I'm definitely keeping Burns. I think he's scheme versatile. He can be a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 DE.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He sounded that way when he was sticking to the script. The longer he went and the more frustrated he got the more he seemed like the same old cocky asshole.

That is who he is at his core. Hopefully he is a wiser OCA now or he will continue to be a sad loser OCA in the NFL. 

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Oh, I'm definitely keeping Burns. I think he's scheme versatile. He can be a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 DE.

I think so too but I am more worried about this crew and the contracts they have done recently than Burns himself. Just a convenient excuse to hold off until the offseason. 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

The next few months will tell us a lot about that.

I think we will be finding ashes to sweep up for a while.  How Tepper handles that will tell us how hopeless or hopeful things are.

Tepper came in and thought he was going to cure the on-field results by redrawing the org chart.  I think he now knows the shape of what he redrew made the problem worse, and even if he had gotten the organization structure right, who is in the various key positions is more important than the shape of the chart.  He also learned that the chances that he was going to create some new model of how an NFL organization should be shaped were virtually nil.

I don't think we are in terrible shape all things considered, but Tepper and who gets hired to replace Rhule are big variables.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2