• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB Showcase: The Non-Stroud/Young/Levis Crowd

saX man

8 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

First

Nobody wants a running QB. That's not a 1999 argument. That's a dawn of time to end of time argument. They don't win championships period.

Second being able to run from the pocket when necessary is fine. Allen Mahomes Young and on and on. But a QB that can consistently deliver the ball from the pocket on time to the right guy accurately will win more than he loses.

Why are you bringing this up? No one is talking about this dichotomy.  

Go start your own thread hombre.  

and edit: None of the top-3 are even runners.  Really, Hooker is the only in the entire OP that could even really get that definition and I'm lukewarm at best on him for now.  So I really don't understand what you're coming in with this debate for.

Edited by saX man
  • Pie 2

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

I liked Corral but he had health issues and he was IRed here before the year could even start. I hope he can contribute but that basket should not get all of the eggs. 

We will be drafting a QB from this class. If they bust then Corral can step up or we can draft another one in 2024. That is priority #1 for the roster moving forward. People are trying to make this class look like the last one and even I can see that is BS. Probably going to need a strong offensive crew outside of Stroud for support and coaching so all the talk about potential defensive HCs gives me a headache. 

Even if we draft a QB there needs to be a competition between Corral and whoever comes in.

5 minutes ago, saX man said:

If anything, the emphasis in my OP is about completion height, age, percentage, and YPA

Alright so play GM. You're Fitts and you have the number one pick with Matt Corral rehabed and Sam Darnold willing to sign a 1yr for league minimum.

What do you do? Who do you take and why?

25 minutes ago, saX man said:

That's the thing, it's the Coug offense, he's not even dropping back, just throwing something immediately most of the time.  It's why you have to watch the greater games for the drop backs and his pocket awareness when he's really needing to throw and not following their offensive script.  

ah okay - well i will keep an open mind this weekend... that is a fun offense though, ha

2 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

Alright so play GM. You're Fitts and you have the number one pick with Matt Corral rehabed and Sam Darnold willing to sign a 1yr for league minimum.

? I don't know

I'm just showcasing the upcoming QBs in the 2023 draft mid college season, not trying to play GM.  Highlighting who these guys are after the generally perceived top-3 is.  

But to answer that, I don't really know yet or have formed a complete opinion being mid-season.  Each of the top-3 has their own knocks and it's hard for me to parse it out.  And I like the potential in Ward and maybe Penix as well.  

I do know that Darnold is absolutely awful.  Eye test, 4+ years of proof and statistically one of the worst starting QBs in the 21st century.  I would not re-sign him and I honestly have no idea about Corral.  Matt looked completely out of his element when finally thrown in and got injured almost immediately.  His whole college career, pro day, and what we've seen gives me gigantic pause.  

Corral will be rostered, conditioning and study time with hopefully a good, experienced QB coach.

We'll need a backup and a potential franchise guy and neither is rostered yet.  

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

You take CJ because he has Burrow qualities and is having a Burrow year but doing it a few years younger. He is currently on pace to have the all time efficiency rating as a passer. 

16 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

ah okay - well i will keep an open mind this weekend... that is a fun offense though, ha

Here he is freshman year (at a small school), but I like how he can maneuver the pocket while staying calm and keeping his eyes down field. He has all the throwing motions down and can actually switch to his left hand when needed. He threw a lefty pass at WSU, but his WR dropped the pass (happens a lot for him). 

39 minutes ago, saX man said:

? I don't know

I'm just showcasing the upcoming QBs in the 2023 draft mid college season, not trying to play GM.  Highlighting who these guys are after the generally perceived top-3 is.  

But to answer that, I don't really know yet or have formed a complete opinion being mid-season.  Each of the top-3 has their own knocks and it's hard for me to parse it out.  And I like the potential in Ward and maybe Penix as well.  

I do know that Darnold is absolutely awful.  Eye test, 4+ years of proof and statistically one of the worst starting QBs in the 21st century.  I would not re-sign him and I honestly have no idea about Corral.  Matt looked completely out of his element when finally thrown in and got injured almost immediately.  His whole college career, pro day, and what we've seen gives me gigantic pause.  

Corral will be rostered, conditioning and study time with hopefully a good, experienced QB coach.

We'll need a backup and a potential franchise guy and neither is rostered yet.  

See the 1yr for Darnold at minimum wage is our insurance. He could be 2nd or 3rd string and I see him as viable in that role.

1 minute ago, Catsfan69 said:

See the 1yr for Darnold at minimum wage is our insurance. He could be 2nd or 3rd string and I see him as viable in that role.

Yup. To be honest, I do think Darnold has more of an NFL career left than 👨‍🍳. Could become one of those backups that randomly has a good game if needed, but if he’s a prolonged starter turns into what we saw by his 5-6th start.

• Pie 1