• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting info about Wilks at Arizona

ladypanther

Others may already know this...I did not.

The Cardinals went with Josh Rosen at No. 10, instead of selecting Lamar Jackson or trading up for Josh Allen, who was Wilks’ preference.

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article267273002.html#storylink=cpy

He was definitely right about the QB's.  Too bad he had to pay the price for the GM's bad decision.

• Pie 7

2 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

Others may already know this...I did not.

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article267273002.html#storylink=cpy

He was definitely right about the QB's.  Too bad he had to pay the price for the GM's bad decision.

But it was his fault Rosen sucked. 

NOT

• Pie 1

Wilks wasn't even allowed to pick most of his staff in Arizona, nor given any power to make personnel decisions. No idea if he's a good head coach or not (especially considering he was just an average coordinator here), but that year in Arizona was such a terrible situation that I don't think that should really be used against him

• Pie 6

2 minutes ago, CamTheMan said:

Wilks wasn't even allowed to pick most of his staff in Arizona, nor given any power to make personnel decisions. No idea if he's a good head coach or not (especially considering he was just an average coordinator here), but that year in Arizona was such a terrible situation that I don't think that should really be used against him

Holcomb (DC), McCoy (OC) and Jeff Rodgers(ST) all spent time with Wilks on the Panthers, but he didn't select any of them?  He hated his staff so much he elevated Holcomb again here?

I call BS.

• Pie 1

Not sure I buy it. Of course a coach is going to claim he didn't want the bust and actually wanted one of the guys who turned out really good.

Also, criticizing teams for not trading up to get a guy isn't necessarily a legit criticism. Who's to say trading up was even an option? The Bills may not have been willing to come off that pick or at least not without an absolutely absurd asking price.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Pretty sure those things wouldn't be difficult to verify.

For one, it's not like he had the kind of power in Arizona that Rhule had here.

Its in the lawsuit but I am not sure how you can verify it.    To be honest it seems kindof petty to include.  Who were they going to trade with?  What were they going to offer etc?

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Pretty sure those things wouldn't be difficult to verify.

For one, it's not like he had the kind of power in Arizona that Rhule had here.

How would you verify it? Of course anyone a part of that dumpster fire will claim that yes, Wilks wanted Allen or Lamar and so did I!

McAdoo will undoubtedly claim that he wanted nothing to do with Baker and was actually lobbying for something entirely different.

• Beer 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

How would you verify it? Of course anyone a part of that dumpster fire will claim that yes, Wilks wanted Allen or Lamar and so did I!

McAdoo will undoubtedly claim that he wanted nothing to do with Baker and was actually lobbying for something entirely different.

Is anybody refuting it though?

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Why would they? What's to gain for them?

Honestly if I was in that organization at the time and was asked about it I would just say there were divided opinions within the organization and I can't really recall who was saying what. Lots of things get said in the discussions leading up to every draft. How am I supposed to recall specific positions held by people years ago? I got my own poo to deal with.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Its in the lawsuit so I doubt they are in the business of airing the dirty laundry just yet.  It will come out one way or the other.  But as LG stats, hell anyone can claim anything about who they wanted.   Its petty and quite childish to put that out there. 

This says they looked into it but too expensive.

https://raisingzona.com/2021/01/13/arizona-cardinals-acquired-wrong-passer-2018-draft/