• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sounds like Scott Fitterer will continue as Panthers GM in '23

TheSpecialJuan

11 minutes ago, Toomers said:

I don’t think you know what a good HC is. If you think Taylor isn’t, good luck with this next search and the one 3 years from now. 

Competitive means two different things to me and you. I’ll leave it at that. 

16-32-1 is good for you? Yeah we have different options. 

https://fansided.com/2022/10/09/zac-taylor-roasted-fourth-down-bengals-ravens-memes-tweets/amp/

https://www.cincyjungle.com/platform/amp/2022/9/18/23360100/zac-taylor-bengals-twitter-dallas-cowboys-cincinnati-2022-social-media-recap

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-hot-seat-rankings-commanders-ron-rivera-headlines-11-coaches-under-fire-entering-week-6/amp/

He has already taken heat this season. He has Burrow, Mixon, Chase, and Higgins. That should be the top offense in the league. He was on the hot seat list just last week. I will say they are looking better the past couple games. 

Rhule's contract stated that he had final say in player and personnel decisions.

Rhule forced Hurney out because Hurney wouldn't do everything Rhule wanted.   Rhule and Tepper then chose Fit.  Fit has happily done everything Rhule wanted.  There has never been a report saying that Fit was disagreeing or fighting with Rhule.  In fact statements by Fit,  and the Panthers Confidentials point to the exact opposite. 

Many on the Huddle insisted that Fit took control of things this year, despite statements by him, Tepper and Rhule, and there being no changes to Rhule's contract.   In the post draft presser, Fit answered the majority of the questions because the press directed them at Fit.  Go watch it.  Fit answered his questions, Rhule answers his.

Now many on the huddle insists it was all Rhule.

If Fit does in fact remain, for good or for bad, he's Rhule's fingerprint on this franchise.   Rhule and Tepper chose him and it was Rhule who fought to push Hurney out. 

I would rather we get a fresh start.  The GM is going to play a major role in choosing the next coach. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

https://fansided.com/2022/10/09/zac-taylor-roasted-fourth-down-bengals-ravens-memes-tweets/amp/

https://www.cincyjungle.com/platform/amp/2022/9/18/23360100/zac-taylor-bengals-twitter-dallas-cowboys-cincinnati-2022-social-media-recap

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-hot-seat-rankings-commanders-ron-rivera-headlines-11-coaches-under-fire-entering-week-6/amp/

He has already taken heat this season. He has Burrow, Mixon, Chase, and Higgins. That should be the top offense in the league. He was on the hot seat list just last week. I will say they are looking better the past couple games. 

He’s done well because of the mess he got stuck with. And they were smart enough to still have money to spend on OL when their QB took of. 

He lost week one because Burrow had 5 TOs and his K missed an extra point to win game. Other than that. two road losses to DAL and BAL by 5 points combined. Should we judge on the team he built, and the present or what he took over and is long gone? 

25 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Got the Mayfield part but there is no way you can for certainty say Corral is a bust or a bad pick.  Corral wasn't given one chance to play with NFL caliber players.  No one is going to convince me and many others that he got a fair shake.  Everyone knows he had limited reps in practice and two preseason games with 75% of the players not making ANY NFL roster.  I'm not going to hang a "Bust" label on him just yet and even if he is a bust, I wouldn't put it on Fitterer due to the Rhule's Absolute Power. 

You have no true evidence one way or the other how Fit worked with Rhule.  Tepper took any true power that Fitterer had when he gave Rhule the absolute power. 

This is purely opinion.  Fact is Rhule had more power than he ever should have. End of Story. 

Anytime you bring in someone new you are risking getting worse.  Fitterer absolutely deserves another opportunity with this team.  He'll have a say in who the HC is going to be, and it will be someone he can work with.  

The odds are beyond astronomical at this point that MC will ever be a successful starter in the nfl

3 minutes ago, Toomers said:

He’s done well because of the mess he got stuck with. And they were smart enough to still have money to spend on OL when their QB took of. 

He lost week one because Burrow had 5 TOs and his K missed an extra point to win game. Other than that. two road losses to DAL and BAL by 5 points combined. Should we judge on the team he built, and the present or what he took over and is long gone? 

Does he have roster control? I wasn’t aware of that and assumed the GM built this team for him. Yeah he was running a “predictable” and “boring” offense which can lead to TOs. If he built that roster than it’s impressive, but Burrow getting sacked 9 times in a playoff game and securing a win says way more about the player than the HC to me. His DC also called some great games in the playoffs and he did hire him, so I will give him some credit for that.

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Does he have roster control? I wasn’t aware of that and assumed the GM built this team for him. Yeah he was running a “predictable” and “boring” offense which can lead to TOs. If he built that roster than it’s impressive, but Burrow getting sacked 9 times in a playoff game and securing a win says way more about the player than the HC to me. His DC also called some great games in the playoffs and he did hire him, so I will give him some credit for that.

That convenient. Everything good is someone else, but anything bad is on him. There’s the Huddle shuffle. Blame anyone who doesn’t fit the narrative. Nicely done.  Of course it was the GM that has been there 30+ years and built that Benga dynasty we remember from…..oh wait? This is getting comical. 

3 minutes ago, Toomers said:

That convenient. Everything good is someone else, but anything bad is on him. There’s the Huddle shuffle. Blame anyone who doesn’t fit the narrative. Nicely done.  Of course it was the GM that has been there 30+ years and built that Benga dynasty we remember from…..oh wait? This is getting comical. 

I'm being serious.  The GM kind of took a back seat and Taylor is the one talking about drafting Burrow and how he was their guy from the beginning and they have no regrets in taking him over Herbert.  If he doesn't have full roster control he was a huge input.  I'll give the man credit for building a solid roster.  

It just seems strange that some of Hurney's most vocal critics are somehow Fitterer's biggest advocates when they both seem to suffer from several of the same egregious mistakes.

-Extending underperforming players to lucrative contracts? Check. (Ian Thomas, Donte Jackson, Robbie Anderson)

-Hitting in the 1st round but largely missing everywhere else? Check. It's obviously too early to judge this year's class favorably or unfavorably, but last year: TMJ/Tremble/Chuba/Daviyon Nixon/Keith Taylor/Deonte Brown/Shi Smith/Thomas Fletcher/Phil Hoskins have all had little-to-no contribution halfway into their second season.  Christensen seems to be the only one outside of Horn who has contributed in any meaningful capacity.

-Trading away valuable draft capital? Check. Hurney's typically came in the form of trading up in the draft, whereas Fitterer has traded picks away for players like Sam Darnold and CJ Henderson and did trade a 3rd to move up in the draft for Corral.  Darnold was obviously a horrible trade and Henderson/Corral are still somewhat TBD but not inspiring a ton of confidence so far.

• Pie 3

Just now, ForJimmy said:

I'm being serious.  The GM kind of took a back seat and Taylor is the one talking about drafting Burrow and how he was their guy from the beginning and they have no regrets in taking him over Herbert.  If he doesn't have full roster control he was a huge input.  I'll give the man credit for building a solid roster.  

That was sarcasm. Of course Mike Brown didn’t build this team. He’s famously inept and has been for a long time. 

So built a solid roster, chose a good DC, and took his team and 2nd year QB to a SB. How is this a BAD coach again? 

• Pie 1

40 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Haven’t gone through all your posts yet but to my knowledge you haven’t used the biggest supporting factor that Taylor is an average coach at best….

Zac Taylor calls the offensive plays for the Bengals, their OC, Brian Callahan, only has “input”…

So I’m in agreement with you, Taylor deserves a lot of the blame for the Bengals being in the bottom third of the league in total offense… there’s absolutely no excuse that anyone can make to justify why a team with Burrow, Mixon, Chase, Higgins, and Boyd are not ranked in the top five in total offense.

One of my closest friends is a massive Bengals fan and has more to say on this subject, but the short version is that he thinks Zac Taylor is an average HC that is pulled along by an all-star group of offensive players.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Toomers said:

That was sarcasm. Of course Mike Brown didn’t build this team. He’s famously inept and has been for a long time. 

So built a solid roster, chose a good DC, and took his team and 2nd year QB to a SB. How is this a BAD coach again? 

I was just going by his record and people getting pissed at his play calling.  You are right though he has built a solid team.  (I really didn't know how the Bengals FO was setup).  Burrow did kind of fall in his lap, but outside of that he has built a solid foundation around him and went with Chase vs drafting an OL (which was a glaring issue) which paid off.  

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I was just going by his record and people getting pissed at his play calling.  You are right though he has built a solid team.  (I really didn't know how the Bengals FO was setup).  Burrow did kind of fall in his lap, but outside of that he has built a solid foundation around him and went with Chase vs drafting an OL (which was a glaring issue) which paid off.  

Chase is an absolute beast. I’d take him over any skill position player in the NFL. 

That’s about 80M combined salary when the time comes to sign them. 

43 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Haven’t gone through all your posts yet but to my knowledge you haven’t used the biggest supporting factor that Taylor is an average coach at best….

Zac Taylor calls the offensive plays for the Bengals, their OC, Brian Callahan, only has “input”…

So I’m in agreement with you, Taylor deserves a lot of the blame for the Bengals being in the bottom third of the league in total offense… there’s absolutely no excuse that anyone can make to justify why a team with Burrow, Mixon, Chase, Higgins, and Boyd are not ranked in the top five in total offense.

One of my closest friends is a massive Bengals fan and has more to say on this subject, but the short version is that he thinks Zac Taylor is an average HC that is pulled along by an all-star group of offensive players.

Yeah not sure about him being a "good" coach still.  If he had input on building this team then he might be a good GM.  Having such a bad record that Burrow is waiting on you with the top pick isn't really that impressive of a move either.  Also riding your DC and QB who was sacked a record number of times to a Super Bowl loss doesn't really prove it to me especially with a bad HC record.  Maybe he should hire someone to handle his play calling?  There are points to be made at either end with him. 

I really don’t know why people want to keep anything that has to do with this regime. It’s one of the darkest parts of our franchise history. I think the best thing for the team is to clean house from the GM office to the coaching staff, and build up as much cap and draft capital as we can. I think people are just shell shocked because we had a bad rebuild with incompetent people. 

• Pie 2