• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Updated Cap for 2023 after the CMC trade……

WarPanthers89

24 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

Oh, we're fixated on just on 2013 now. I thought we were talking about the early 'cap hell' years.

It doesn't really matter anyway. This is inarguably the worst stretch of years in the history Panthers football. We're not doing the up and down seesaw anymore; we're stuck with perpetually losing. This team still doesn't have a quarterback and doesn't have established leaders throughout the roster like those teams had.

We have a few good, maybe great young players, and that's it. We don't have a Cam, Luke young combo that's going to carry the load until we draft them.

Just trying to keep up. One list has Beason, who was gone already. Another Hardy and Norman. One who was only here two games after 2013. The other barely played in 2013. 

Just now, Toomers said:

Just trying to keep up. One list has Beason, who was gone already. Another Hardy and Norman. One who was only here two games after 2013. The other barely played in 2013. 

Yeah, it's the 'cap hell' years, with the reference to 2013 as the winning season during that time.

1 minute ago, Krovvy said:

Yeah, it's the 'cap hell' years, with the reference to 2013 as the winning season during that time.

Seems something else happened in those years. Besides the same amount of playoff appearances in 5 years that this franchise has had in the other 18. 

9 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Seems something else happened in those years. Besides the same amount of playoff appearances in 5 years that this franchise has had in the other 18. 

I mean, it was the rebuild years. The 'cap hell' years I would think are 2011-2014. The NFL lockout happened in 2011. In 2010-2013 the cap barely moved, and even was lowered.

16407.jpeg

Since then, it's been quite a bit easier to manage. From 2014 on the cap rose by over 10 million a year.

If we didn't hit on Cam god knows what the team would have looked like. We would have had a lot of great players we would be trying to pay, but in quarterback purgatory with Ron Rivera leading the team. Actually, it would probably have been similar to the current Commanders.

2 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

As of now we are negative 3 million. This includes rolling over 10.6 million this year to next. 28.5 million in dead cap but we can easily get above water with a few moves but still not pretty.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/cap/2023/

A2BFA02C-45B3-49B8-9A73-5A52CD101C1D.jpeg

C2039F59-1B35-4D3C-81C9-8CF9F6088780.jpeg

FCBF7009-7A40-434B-8A3E-899ECA6C7E8D.jpeg

6EEB76CE-8E5F-4C3F-91AA-3C95BF15DD0F.jpeg

...we'll get it under control...because we gonna suck again next year...so...

13 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

I mean, it was the rebuild years. The 'cap hell' years I would think are 2011-2014. The NFL lockout happened in 2011. In 2010-2013 the cap barely moved, and even was lowered.

16407.jpeg

Since then, it's been quite a bit easier to manage. From 2014 on the cap rose by over 10 million a year.

If we didn't hit on Cam god knows what the team would have looked like. We would have had a lot of great players we would be trying to pay, but in quarterback purgatory with Ron Rivera leading the team. Actually, it would probably have been similar to the current Commanders.

2011 can’t be a cap hell year if that’s the same off-season they signed all those players. 2012 they still had plenty to give ANOTHER RB a big contract. 2013 was a collection of bottom-level FAs. 2014 was the same plus lost more players. 2015 had DLOs 10M dead cap hit. And a DE in CJ with a 20M cap hit for a part time player. That’s over 20% of their cap on those two. 

When the cap goes up, salaries go up. It’s not some advantage any team gets. 

Edited by Toomers

3 minutes ago, Toomers said:

2011 can’t be a cap hell year if that’s the same off-season they signed all those players. 2012 they still had plenty to give ANOTHER RB a big contract. 2013 was a collection of bottom-level FAs. 2014 was the same plus lost more players. 2015 had DLOs 10M dead cap hit. And a DE in CJ with a 20M cap hit for a part time player. That’s over 20% of their cap on those two. 

When the cap goes up, salaries go up. It’s not some advantage any team gets. 

And when the cap goes down?

Again, who really cares. The point is this team is cap strapped, and without players at key positions. Including the most important position on the team. We're the worst team in the league, with a cap mess, to the point of trading players, and we were recently without many draft choices.

3 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

And when the cap goes down?

Again, who really cares. The point is this team is cap strapped, and without players at key positions. Including the most important position on the team. We're the worst team in the league, with a cap mess, to the point of trading players, and we were recently without many draft choices.

Then it goes down for everybody. And there were deals out there during the ONE year it went down. In 2015, Cam was one of the highest paid at 21/yr. Now there are how many making 40-50M/yr. The cap hasn’t doubled. But top salaries at most positions have.

1 hour ago, Harbingers said:

I doubt it. I don’t think there is a single safe player on this team. Zero. If we give CMC for a random assortment of mid round picks. We are burning it to the ground. 

I would not loose a wink of sleep if they did. It looks to me as if everyone is auditioning for a job.

Should be fun to watch the back stabbing and infighting amongst the staff from a voyeuristic train wreck kinda way.

The only think will be worth watching is the players reaction to the turn of events.  I wonder whether any of the young guys will respond to this as a chance to establish themselves or will they pack it up and quit.

27 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Then it goes down for everybody. And there were deals out there during the ONE year it went down. In 2015, Cam was one of the highest paid at 21/yr. Now there are how many making 40-50M/yr. The cap hasn’t doubled. But top salaries at most positions have.

Yeah, and the core of that team went to the Super Bowl, an NFC Championship, and almost made another one if Brandon LaFell wasn't the soft, brick hands, receiver that he was. Right now this team needs to get a quarterback to even be in contention of win our sorry division. We're in a much bigger hole.

Edited by Krovvy