• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

FMIA: Tanking shouldn’t be a dirty word

NAS

35 minutes ago, stbugs said:

It’s weird how people can’t grasp it. I think there are people for whom life is black and white and they can’t understand how losing can make you better. “I don’t want to be called a loser.” “You must not have ever played sports.” We have won 5 games a year the past 3 and we’re 7-9 the year before that. We are 2-5 this year. We are losers right now. I for one don’t want that every year. Tanking talk happens when a team isn’t a contender. Last week people hated PJ and Hubbard and now they are SB contenders and definitely in the playoffs.

It’s funny how fondly they’ll remember our SB runs but they can’t remember how they started. Unfortunately, we really do have an easy schedule so we’ll win again but hopefully it doesn’t give us Brown instead of Herbert because while Brown is finally playing up to his potential, Star rounded out the roster, he didn’t move the needle like Cam did.

I’m out of pie, but yes I agree that it’s very strange that people do not understand it. It’s like they are totally fine with having a mediocre team that goes to the playoffs once every 3 years, but this current regime can’t even manage that. So, they’ll settle for winning any games to assure we won’t be the worst team in the league with the #1 pick. They just don’t understand how hard it is to escape that vicious cycle of mediocrity. Sometimes you have to burn everything down and start building a lasting foundation.

• Pie 2

21 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

You talking about the one we drafted in the sane round we took Grier several seasons ago? You want to ignore a first round QB and bank on that? Sounds a little risky to me…

Oh I personally don’t care. Everyone on this forum though made Matt sound like the second coming of Jesus though. I’m more worried about even more musical chairs at QB next year. I don’t know if there are any sure fire first round picks. 

1 minute ago, PhillyB said:

as a fan i want the team to lose for better position in the draft. as a fan i also want the players to fight their asses off. because i am a fan and not a general manager or coach these two equally pressing desires don't conflict.

tAnKiNg Is fOr LoSeR fAnS juice box ass babies need to sit down, you aren't cool, tough, or more of a fan for your squinty nearsightedness

fuging mic drop

sheer poetry

well done sir

you should pin this to the top

Edited by mrcompletely11
  • Poo 1

11 minutes ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

I’m out of pie, but yes I agree that it’s very strange that people do not understand it. It’s like they are totally fine with having a mediocre team that goes to the playoffs once every 3 years, but this current regime can’t even manage that. So, they’ll settle for winning any games to assure we won’t be the worst team in the league with the #1 pick. They just don’t understand how hard it is to escape that vicious cycle of mediocrity. Sometimes you have to burn everything down and start building a lasting foundation.

Once every 3 years?  We're talking about being in purgatory for a decade if we don't figure it out.

One "culture win" a few years ago against Washington cost us Justin Herbert.

Was that win worth it?   The answer is very clearly no.   

The best thing for this team long term is to have their pick of the all the QBs.   Just like we got our pick of all the LTs this year and we got Ickey, who looks awesome.  

• Pie 6

5 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

as a fan i want the team to lose for better position in the draft. as a fan i also want the players to fight their asses off. because i am a fan and not a general manager or coach these two equally pressing desires don't conflict.

tAnKiNg Is fOr LoSeR fAnS juice box ass babies need to sit down, you aren't cool, tough, or more of a fan for your squinty nearsightedness

I am of the belief that, “Tanking” is not required to get one of the top prospects. The team can play to win and still get one of the top three QB’s. Besides, I would like for Detroit to pick ahead of the Panthers, because whoever they select will likely be the wrong choice.

• Pie 4

6 minutes ago, Jmac said:

This whole fuggin tanking concept is ludicrous. You play to win, period. If they suck and are not good enough to win, then so be it. Give 100% effort till the bitter end.

That's what we're saying too, we just hope they don't win meaningless games that costs us our future franchise QB. 

Edited by NAS
  • Pie 1
  • Poo 1

Just now, jamos14 said:

One "culture win" a few years ago against Washington cost us Justin Herbert.

Was that win worth it?   The answer is very clearly no.   

The best thing for this team long term is to have their pick of the all the QBs.   Just like we got our pick of all the LTs this year and we got Ickey, who looks awesome.  

Icky is a goddamn clone of Slater.  Dude is an absolute monster.  He was a bully yesterday

Just now, Monrowed said:

I am of the belief that, “Tanking” is not required to get one of the top prospects. The team can play to win and still get one of the top three QB’s. Besides, I would like for Detroit to pick ahead of the Panthers, because whoever they select will likely be the wrong choice.

Tanking is when you trade away your present assets for future.  That's what the CMC trade represents and we should probably do it with a couple of more players (e.g. Shaq Thompson) if the cap situation allows for it.   Let the team play to win, but I hope they play well and lose.  

• Pie 1