• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For those that need to see it in black and white:

JawnyBlaze

20 minutes ago, Rocky Davis said:

@JawnyBlazehe did remove his helmet outside the field of play, but then came back onto the field with it off celebrating with his teammates.  You know these refs aren't giving a team like the Panthers any benefit of the doubt and were more than happy to throw that flag.

It was a mistake by DJ, but it didn't cost us the game.  We had other plays/opportunities to win and didn't cash in.  Don't die on this hill bruh.

There’s no rule against coming onto the field of play without a helmet to celebrate. By the letter of the rules, he did nothing wrong. You could argue he broke the spirit of the rule but that standard is never applied in the other direction, shouldn’t have today. Not to mention taking the helmet off is rarely penalized anyway. 

33 minutes ago, KSpan said:

It absolutely was a penalty and always has been since the rule was instituted. Hell, They even flagged Diggs for throwing his helmet after the Minnesota miracle vs the Saints but picked it up given the circumstances.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/15/stefon-diggs-helmet-throw-would-have-mattered-only-if-time-was-left-on-the-clock/

However, this article also states that the penalty would apply to the kickoff rather than the extra point try and that was my understanding as well, so the rule was either misapplied or the article was wrong. 

Diggs was in the field of play. DJ wasn’t. That simple. 

• Pie 1

35 minutes ago, KSpan said:

It absolutely was a penalty and always has been since the rule was instituted. Hell, They even flagged Diggs for throwing his helmet after the Minnesota miracle vs the Saints but picked it up given the circumstances.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/15/stefon-diggs-helmet-throw-would-have-mattered-only-if-time-was-left-on-the-clock/

However, this article also states that the penalty would apply to the kickoff rather than the extra point try and that was my understanding as well, so the rule was either misapplied or the article was wrong. 

The team opted to take the penalty on the extra point try instead of kickoff if I remember correctly. I thought I heard the announcers say that at the time. It struck me as odd at the time but I was still in shock at what had just happened. 

• Beer 1

Yes the rule states it is a penalty while in the field of play. Why does someone give an example of someone penalized while in it? According to the rule, it should not have been a penalty. DJ was not in the field of play. Meanwhile, Atlanta gets away with false starts and holding all game. This game is yet another example of the NFL telling the refs who to heavily favor.

Edited by KillerKat
  • Pie 1

Peniero would have missed it anyways 

I see players take their helmets off all time, it’s rarely called. Fact is this officiating crew had it out for us, they were calling the most ticky tack penalties meanwhile the falcons were mugging Burns and not a single holding was called

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Diggs was in the field of play. DJ wasn’t. That simple. 

Diggs took his helmet off after he scored just like Moore and just like Cam last year. From the NFL rule book, screenshot below, this is a penalty, full stop. You are wrong.

Screenshot_20221030-220220.png

Edited by KSpan

7 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Diggs took his helmet off after he scored just like Moore and just like Cam last year. From the NFL rule book, screenshot below, this is a penalty, full stop. You are wrong.

Screenshot_20221030-220220.png

You’re conveniently leaving out the critical part of what you yourself are even presenting. It says “in the end zone”. Moore wasn’t in the end zone. Diggs was. Moore was out of bounds (aka out of the field of play) when he took his helmet off. Full stop. Not a penalty. 

3 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Doesn’t matter what he said, he’d get fined if he spoke the truth about it anyway. It wasn’t a penalty, end of discussion. 

He was running around in the endzone with his helmet off after being in on the touchdown play.  How is that not the field of play?   

16 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

He was running around in the endzone with his helmet off after being in on the touchdown play.  How is that not the field of play?   

He took his helmet off out of bounds out the back of the end zone. The rule doesn’t say he can’t be in the field of play without a helmet. That happens often when players run onto the field from the side line.  The rule explicitly specifies the act of removing the helmet is the penalty, not being helmetless. 

• Pie 1