• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DJ Moore should not have been penalized for helmet removal

Zod

37 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

Never seen them take the helmet off for the Lambeau leap

That’s referring to a separate penalty, the “excessive” part. Taking the helmet off is only a penalty in the field of play, the reference to the Lambeau Leap was if they wanted to try to call it “excessive celebration” instead of taking the helmet off

11 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Ok I was off with the “didn’t touch” but he still had the helmet completely on when he was completely out of bounds 

image.thumb.png.379e39b410ea2d1c80e452406c46a083.png

Something lost in all of this ayway is that Stephen Sullivan pretty clearly took his helmet off within the boundaries. He was, for whatever reason, playing in that final snap; the first shot is a bit blurry, but that's him in the lower left. The controversy about Moore will brew but Sullivan also appears to be in violation, even if it wasn't officially called.Sullivan2.thumb.JPG.bbb1c55eba16dde85e561c7ee1607fd8.JPG

Sullivan.JPG

Edited by KSpan

6 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

That’s referring to a separate penalty, the “excessive” part. Taking the helmet off is only a penalty in the field of play, the reference to the Lambeau Leap was if they wanted to try to call it “excessive celebration” instead of taking the helmet off

I'm telling you that field of play for the purpose of celebrating is extended to any area outside of your coaches box.

I've seen it thrown at all three levels hs,college and pro.

I don't have to agree with it but these rules have existed for a long time.

It was a stupid move on his part.

3 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

I'm telling you that field of play for the purpose of celebrating is extended to any area outside of your coaches box.

I don’t believe that for a second. If you can find it in writing then I’m wrong, but a former official disagrees with you and common sense disagrees. If he had caught a pass where he took his helmet off, it would not have been a catch because it would be out of the field of play. The field of play is the field where the game is played. Anything outside the boundary lines is not where the game is played

Yes it was a lame call and the NFL is not consistent.  And yes, it should probably be removed as a rule because it's stupid.  But a good rule of thumb is just never take off your helmet in that situation.  I don't hold it against DJ as much as some people are.  He's had a pretty rough season and that play was unbelievable.  Just learn from it and move on.

• Pie 2

53 minutes ago, Captroop said:

Never seen NFL rule analysis in haiku.

Was in response to Peter King's weekly Haiku, which in this week's column https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/31/christian-mccaffrey-peter-king-fmia-week-eight/ was

Keep your helmet on.
Dumb rule, but it is a rule.
Panthers pay dearly.

I have more issues with PK's writing this week (although for once, he did write mostly positively about the Panthers).   But based on this AND with respect to Tony's tweet (and other comments suggesting it shouldn't have been a penalty), it sounds like PK just didn't want to go back and revisit something he decided upon and wrote hours earlier before publication.

2 minutes ago, PanthersATL said:

Was in response to Peter King's weekly Haiku, which in this week's column https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/31/christian-mccaffrey-peter-king-fmia-week-eight/ was

Keep your helmet on.
Dumb rule, but it is a rule.
Panthers pay dearly.

I have more issues with PK's writing this week (although for once, he did write mostly positively about the Panthers).   But based on this AND with respect to Tony's tweet (and other comments suggesting it shouldn't have been a penalty), it sounds like PK just didn't want to go back and revisit something he decided upon and wrote hours earlier before publication.

Yea obviously neither King nor Florio or whoever wrote the response article to the game actually watched any of it because they both said he took his helmet off in the field of play, which is obviously incorrect. 

52 minutes ago, trueblade said:

People keep overlooking this for some reason.

With you, totally on the kicker to make the shot.

But he shouldn't have been put in a 15-yard hole for the first attempt.    Blame the refs or blame DJ, one way or the other the first kick was made more difficult than it should have been.

10 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I don’t believe that for a second. If you can find it in writing then I’m wrong, but a former official disagrees with you and common sense disagrees. If he had caught a pass where he took his helmet off, it would not have been a catch because it would be out of the field of play. The field of play is the field where the game is played. Anything outside the boundary lines is not where the game is played

This is probably the interpretation being used. The field is any area outside the coaches box. Unless you are reading it different than me. The broken yellow line is still part of the field

The playing field will be rimmed by a solid white border six feet wide along
the end lines and sidelines. There will be an additional broken yellow line nine
feet farther outside this border along each sideline in the non-bench areas,
and such broken line will be continued at an angle from each 25-yard line and
pass behind the bench area (all benches a minimum of 30 feet back from the
sidelines) at a distance of six feet. In each end zone, this broken yellow line is
six feet from the solid white border. These yellow broken lines are to be eight
inches wide and two feet long with a space of one foot between them.
In addition, within each bench area, a solid yellow line six feet behind
the solid border will delineate a special area for coaches, behind which all
players, except one player who is charting the game, must remain. Furthermore,
a broken white line four inches wide and four feet long with a space of two-
foot intervals will be marked three feet inside the nine-foot restriction line on
the sideline, extending to meet the existing yellow broken line six feet behind
both end zones and at each television box outside the bench area.

20 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

You need to argue with the NBC NFL Rules Analyst.