• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Top 5 QBs taken over the last 12 years

Cdparr7

20 hours ago, Growl said:

you can always tell who the NuFans are when they drop the ole “there’s no Cam Newton in this class!”

Cam was coming off arguably the best season in the history of college football please tell me who in this class compares oh wise one

Edited by MechaZain
  • Beer 1

20 hours ago, Gipetto said:

Why is everyone giving up on matt corral already

He was a third round pick for a reason.  If you have a top 5 pick and Corral is the only qb on your roster you use that top 5 pick On a qb every single time basically.   That said hopefully Corral becomes a good player but there are clear differences in a top 5 overall prospect and a third rounder.   Could those evaluations change over time?  Of course but as far as grading prospects top 5 and third rounder are and should be night and day. 

17 hours ago, trueblade said:

Thing about it is, Newton wasn't seen as a sure-fire, slam dunk pick going into that draft.

Exactly, no one knew who the first pick would be or even the first qb taken till immediately before the draft started.  Almost every prospect always has question Mark's.  I remember Cam looked terrible at the combine in all the passing drills.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, MechaZain said:

Cam was coming off arguably the best season in the history of college football please tell me who in this class compares oh wise one

Cam wasnt the clear #1 choice coming into that draft.  He threw poorly at the combine and had plenty of question Mark's.  Luck and Lawrence were much more hyped prospects coming in to the draft.

• Pie 2

51 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

Cam wasnt the clear #1 choice coming into that draft.  He threw poorly at the combine and had plenty of question Mark's.  Luck and Lawrence were much more hyped prospects coming in to the draft.

I don’t recall him throwing poorly. He showed the arm strength and threw a great ball. The ball just popped off his arm. Do you mean he missed some throws?

He also displayed his athleticism and stature. 

Cam was questioned for off the field, not on it, aside from the typical athletic QB “but is he smart enough to read a defense?” questioning. 

I do agree that Luck and Lawrence were more slam dunk though. They also were more “clean cut” (coded) and weren’t labeled as thugs. 

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

I don’t recall him throwing poorly. He showed the arm strength and threw a great ball. The ball just popped off his arm. Do you mean he missed some throws?

He also displayed his athleticism and stature. 

Cam was questioned for off the field, not on it, aside from the typical athletic QB “but is he smart enough to read a defense?” questioning. 

I do agree that Luck and Lawrence were more slam dunk though. They also were more “clean cut” (coded) and weren’t labeled as thugs. 

His arm definitely looked strong at the combine,  his accuracy did not.

16 hours ago, MechaZain said:

lol hi nufan

cam Newton was widely regarded, and the panthers were widely lashed for taking, what was considered “the worst #1 overall pick ever”

• Poo 1

39 minutes ago, Growl said:

lol hi nufan

cam Newton was widely regarded, and the panthers were widely lashed for taking, what was considered “the worst #1 overall pick ever”

One The Golden Calf of Bristol fanboy from Bleacher Report lmao. Ok bud.

There were questions about Cam's character and whether he had the football IQ for the pros. I don't mean surefire as in he was considered a guaranteed success, literally no one is. But it didn't take genius to select the Lebron sized Heisman QB who had the greatest college season ever.  The only ones since who have come in with comparable hype are Luck, RG3, and Lawrence.

Edited by MechaZain

2 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

walks into room. lobs grenade.

Joe Flacco won as many Super Bowls as anybody on that list.

runs away

There are only 12 QBs in NFL history who have won more than one superbowl, only one of them is active now, and only 4 of them have played football at all in the last 20 years. Flacco was the 2nd QB drafted from his class. What exactly is your point?

Edited by X-Clown
  • Beer 1