• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How bad does PJ need to play to be removed as starter?

AlphabetsEnd

Wilks has declared PJ as the starter for the Raven's game. 

Now that we have comparable sample sizes, PJ has played statistically worse than Mayfield, has played easier defenses and secondaries, with a better oline, and better running game - and has gotten to play without the cloud of Rhule. He has had TMJ and Bozeman and Foreman getting more than 2 carries a game. McAdoo is still an albatross, but at least he is not McAdoo under Rhule.  

Did Wilks not watch the game tape? Or any game tape? Did he not see the stat line or the 3 dropped interceptions? Against the worst secondary in the league? 

Did he forget about the Bengals game? Or the rams game? Or 3 quarters of the first Atlanta game? Did he see 100 yards passing, with 40-50% of that YAC? Does he not watch PJ locking on DJ on almost every play, which a real secondary will exploit. 

Why did PJ start after the Bengals game? Why did he not get pulled in the first Atlanta game? 

Is Darnold too injured to give a shot? If they value weak draft capital over wins, fine, keep Mayfield on the bench. 

PJ has done nothing to earn, never the less keep the starting job.

If Wilks is supporting the tank, let PJ throw the ball, that will ensure a few extra pick-6s.

If he wants to play conservatively and run and win, and keep his job, either Mayfield or even Darnold are less reckless with the ball and have greater upside. 

Edited by AlphabetsEnd
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Just now, Ornias said:

Mayfield may well start in a couple of weeks after the 4th round contingency is no longer on the table. 

Yes, I imagine that's possible - but that's also idiotic. A 4th is not much more valuable than a 5th, and at this point, starting PJ is giving this team the worst chance to win and to claim a very claimable NFC South. 

If PJ is benched after the first half of the Atlanta game, I think it's 2-0 vs. Falcons and the Bengals game is in play, based on what Mayfield showed against the first team D on the opening drive of the second half, and his track record against the Bengals. 

But at this point, I'd trust Darnold over PJ, at least we don't know what he looks like behind a good oline. 

• Poo 1

7 minutes ago, AlphabetsEnd said:

Yes, I imagine that's possible - but that's also idiotic. A 4th is not much more valuable than a 5th, and at this point, starting PJ is giving this team the worst chance to win and to claim a very claimable NFC South. 

If PJ is benched after the first half of the Atlanta game, I think it's 2-0 vs. Falcons and the Bengals game is in play, based on what Mayfield showed against the first team D on the opening drive of the second half, and his track record against the Bengals. 

But at this point, I'd trust Darnold over PJ, at least we don't know what he looks like behind a good oline. 

While a 4th isn't much more valuable than a 5th, it is more value, and PJ playing one more game (because I think we just need one more start out of PJ or Darnold to push us there) is sufficient to put us out of reach of that.

But I also think its hard to bench your starter after a win.

8 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

While a 4th isn't much more valuable than a 5th, it is more value, and PJ playing one more game (because I think we just need one more start out of PJ or Darnold to push us there) is sufficient to put us out of reach of that.

But I also think its hard to bench your starter after a win.

I'd rather win and take a shot at the playoffs than play for draft position, when the best indicator of QB success is development, not draft position. Likewise, for 2-7th round picks. 

I think you're probably right about it being hard to bench the starter, but Wilks had his chance to not start PJ after one of the worst QB performances in recent history and didn't and could have again last game on his third dropped interception, but didn't.  

He wants to start PJ for other reasons, and none of them are about winning games.

Edited by AlphabetsEnd
  • Pie 1

Sam and Baker each got 4 years to develop, PJ had 1 start in each of the last 2 years and now has 5. It looks like he's gonna be stuck with the same dangerous throws but it's been worth giving him a few games in a row to see if he can pull it together. We already know Baker and Sam aren't it and won't be back next year unless it's for like $2-5M

• Pie 6