• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Recent QB Draft Classes

DaveThePanther2008

21 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

This is the reason if we fall outside the top five picks I want to move down.  We can get more picks and fill in other holes that aren't as boom or bust.  We still draft a QB, just not with our first pick.

By many accounts we wanted Hebert. We were one pick away from having the option to draft him. Where is this franchise right now if we get him? Given how far the pendulum swings if you get the right QB in the draft, I'm of the opinion that if there's a prospect you believe in, and you can take him, you take him.

Getting cute with trading down doesn't feel worth it to me. 

Outside of a pass rusher and MAYBE a premier pass catching TE, I don't see a glaring hole on the roster that commands a first round pick. I think this team is at a point where until it fixes QB and coaching, nothing else is gonna matter much.

If only I could draft Don Shula or Bill Walsh.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

By many accounts we wanted Hebert. We were one pick away from having the option to draft him. Where is this franchise right now if we get him? Given how far the pendulum swings if you get the right QB in the draft, I'm of the opinion that if there's a prospect you believe in, and you can take him, you take him.

Getting cute with trading down doesn't feel worth it to me. 

Outside of a pass rusher and MAYBE a premier pass catching TE, I don't see a glaring hole on the roster that commands a first round pick. I think this team is at a point where until it fixes QB and coaching, nothing else is gonna matter much.

If only I could draft Don Shula or Bill Walsh.

There is one TE in this draft and right now he's projected to go as high as #10.  We could use another edge rusher too. YGM is a JAG and we need a bookend to Burns.  After the first round, we could also use a couple LBs, a WR or two, a safety, center DT, another swing tackle or guard.  Oh yeah, and a QB.  The shopping list is long and we don't have the money to go splurge in the FA market.  We have to draft most of our depth this year and why a trade back...really two, is needed.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

There is one TE in this draft and right now he's projected to go as high as #10.  We could use another edge rusher too. YGM is a JAG and we need a bookend to Burns.  After the first round, we could also use a couple LBs, a WR or two, a safety, center DT, another swing tackle or guard.  Oh yeah, and a QB.  The shopping list is long and we don't have the money to go splurge in the FA market.  We have to draft most of our depth this year and why a trade back...really two, is needed.

To me we have to draft a top ranked QB and then we can figure out the rest of the draft. 

• Pie 4

Just now, Varking said:

To me we have to draft a top ranked QB and then we can figure out the rest of the draft. 

And if we miss out on a top QB?  That was the premise of the previous posts. You snag a Tanner Mckee just because he the next QB available when you have a TE1 or DE2/3 staring you in the face?  I have a feeling we will be drafting exactly where we have been the past few seasons #6-#8.  Wilks is not tanking for Tepper.  Tepper is not dumb enough to ask him to either with the ongoing lawsuit Wilks is part of.

5 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Look at the 2021 NFL draft

1. Lawrence - has not lived up to the Hype.  Jacksonville is a mess and no telling his ceiling.

2. Wilson - Looks pretty solid but I wouldn't call him Franchise yet

3. Lance - SF made a huge mistake.  Hasn't played much and when he did, he got hurt and was running when he got into trouble.

11. Fields - at the moment probably the best QB in his class. BTW I was an opponent of Fields but he's showing he is going to be around a long time. So, I eat a bit of crow on that one. 

15. Jones - Not spectacular but has New England 1 game out of 1st.

If you had to judge them to date.  Fields, Jones, Wilson, Lawrence, Lance.   

What I take away from 2021 is Tanking for a QB doesn't necessarily answer your problems.  The best QB in this draft IMO is Fields. 

20. Pickett he's a rookie and hasn't been too bad but not great either. One of their wins was because of Trubisky not Pickett.  IMO Trubisky looks much better than Pickett but as I said Pickett is a rookie.

74 Ridder hasn't seen much playing time.  I would expect him to play once Atlanta is eliminated from the playoffs.

86 Willis has started a couple of games and doesn't look too good.  Time will tell

94. Corral we all know his situation still an unknown

137 Zappe has been up and down but has played well at times

144 Howell hasn't started yet and Heinke is starting ahead of him.  Probably being brought along slowly

If you had to judge them to date.  Pickett, Zappe, Willis, with Corral, Howell and Ridder as unknowns.

I don't see Washington or Atlanta scrambling to get a QB in this upcoming draft

Though many want a QB in this draft I won't be surprised to see us going elsewhere with our #1 pick or trading down and gaining assets for next year. 

These arguments that it's best not to get a good pick dont make much sense to me.  That's why you have a GM and a scouting department.  At the first pick you have the option of any player.  Sure some drafts the best qb doesnt end up going first but that's on the team making the pick.  It is 100% best to have your option of any player regardless of teams missing in the past.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

16 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

And if we miss out on a top QB?  That was the premise of the previous posts. You snag a Tanner Mckee just because he the next QB available when you have a TE1 or DE2/3 staring you in the face?  I have a feeling we will be drafting exactly where we have been the past few seasons #6-#8.  Wilks is not tanking for Tepper.  Tepper is not dumb enough to ask him to either with the ongoing lawsuit Wilks is part of.

Well I think that’s part of it: Identify your guy and go get him. If you need to use your later round draft capital or future drafts a you do it if you believe in a guy. This franchise has been starved of consistently great QB play and we have been missing that excitement of having an electric QB since 2015 Cam, really. And before that there wasn’t one folks got super excited about. 

If we look at root causes for 30 years of never having back to back winning seasons it’s because of inconsistent QB play for the most part. Tepper can turn how the fans views him and how the league views us by going and getting our guy. 

I don’t believe we have anymore years to wait and wait for a top flight round 1 QB. If we are picking in the top 10 we have our options. If we feel we can trade back and still get our guy, cool. But we can’t miss and trade back and then have the QB get taken before we pick again. I do believe this franchise would be held in higher regard and in better shape going into next year had we drafted Fields or even Mac Jones. 

Draft and develop. No more burn out retreads.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Most high pick QBs look bad until year 3. That's kinda the average. QBs like Mac Jones can look good right away sometimes because they go to good teams and the right systems. Lamar Jackson is a perfect example of how a QB progresses through the years. His legs kept him competitive early, now his arm does. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

LOL You called him a bust after one game in a fuging hurricane.  You are a complete joke

Temperatures are expected to be in the high 60s/low 70s.
- Some light to moderate rain is expected during the game.
Not quite a hurricane.  
He was terrible and he had more runs than completed passes.
He's not going to translate to the NFL.

You call me a joke yet you write off a QB that got no reps in real practice and call him a bust. So who really is the JOKE.  
NOT ME.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:
Not quite a hurricane.  

You call me a joke yet you write off a QB that got no reps in real practice and call him a bust. So who really is the JOKE.  
NOT ME.

I'm sorry but that game was a mess.  I don't know how much rainfall it was but there were penalties from coaches trying to dry the field with towels so they could attempt a FG.  I remember Chicago players doing a "slip and slide" celebration.  Neither QB could throw well, much less one in his first game as a starter.  I wouldn't write off a first round QB over that....

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:
Not quite a hurricane.  

NOT ME.

You're going to look very foolish in a few years. 

1 minute ago, Snake said:

You're going to look very foolish in a few years. 

Doubt it.  Lance did not impress me before the draft and he didn't show much after being an understudy for an entire year.  He started running as soon as pressure came up on him.  He'll get figured out and he'll bust.

SF tried so hard to get rid of Jimmy G.  They are so lucky because if Lance had stayed healthy they would have been in a worse situation than us. 

1 minute ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Doubt it.  Lance did not impress me before the draft and he didn't show much after being an understudy for an entire year.  He started running as soon as pressure came up on him.  He'll get figured out and he'll bust.

SF tried so hard to get rid of Jimmy G.  They are so lucky because if Lance had stayed healthy they would have been in a worse situation than us. 

You like so many on here have been wrong so much I've lost count. It's why I don't play this game. You end up looking foolish. It takes 3 years at minimum for a QB to become a starter in the NFL.