• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Before it becomes a topic of conversation this off-season

LinvilleGorge

11 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

The problem is the team with Pick #1 next year (assuming it is not us) likely sucks and needs a QB.  They will not be trading that top pick for anything.

If we are in a position to draft Young, then I would do it.  Otherwise, get a late first/second round type guy to compete with Corral and use the first on Michael Mayer, the TE from ND. 

Everyone focuses on the QB position, and rightly so, but if you look at most of the most recent superb owl winners, you see dominating TE play - Gronkowski, Kelce, Ertz.  We really need that guy to help our young QBs along.

I've posted before that I'm a fan of trading back and getting Mayer! Love that idea. Just not with one of the top 5 picks in the draft. I think we can add draft capital and still pick him up somewhere in the #8-10 range. 

I don't think Mayer is going to blow everyone away at the combine like Kyle Pitts did, and he was drafted #4. 

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, top dawg said:

You're in rare form today. And why the hell not? The Thanksgiving holiday is almost upon us. Let's relax, reflect and have some laughs. 

I realize that reality for most of us probably sunk in many moons ago, but today the reality of Panthers fandom spilleth over. 

Eh, what are you going to do?  We had a strong suspicion it would get to this point when The Process was brought back for a third year.  At some point, all you can do is laugh or it will drive you crazy.

We are at that point for this season.  On the bright side, there is some hope depending on who they hire to run the show next year.  But for now, just pop some popcorn and enjoy the show!

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

28 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

As I recall, he hardly ever passed in college.

And hate to say it, but I've heard"jjust give them time" going all the way back to Michael Vick needing X years to learn the West Coast Offense.

It's just a poor strategy.

He threw 28 TDs and 0 INTs while completing 66% of his passes for 2786 yards.  He probably didn't throw more because they were winning by enough for him to get pulled.  So to make sure I am understanding correctly, you don't think that a 22 year old QB that has only attempted 102 passes in his NFL career due to injuries doesn't need more time to properly evaluate him?  

He is currently 56/102 for 797 yards with 5 TDs and 3 INTs as a passer (career).  I just don't see how anyone can write him off from that??

• Beer 1

27 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Looking at a guys quarterback traits like accuracy, ability to read/process, etc. first.

If they also happen to be athletic, great. If not, okay.

That's a good way to draft another Mac Jones...  Like I said before drafting a QB will never be an exact science.  

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

He threw 28 TDs and 0 INTs while completing 66% of his passes for 2786 yards.  He probably didn't throw more because they were winning by enough for him to get pulled.  So to make sure I am understanding correctly, you don't think that a 22 year old QB that has only attempted 102 passes in his NFL career due to injuries doesn't need more time to properly evaluate him?  

He is currently 56/102 for 797 yards with 5 TDs and 3 INTs as a passer (career).  I just don't see how anyone can write him off from that??

I get the impression that Shanahan and company have already evaluated him, and didn't exactly come up with a glowing recommendation.

If somebody else wants to give him more time, cool. Wouldn't want it to be us though.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I get the impression that Shanahan and company have already evaluated him, and didn't exactly come up with a glowing recommendation.

If somebody else wants to give him more time, cool. Wouldn't want it to be us though.

That started him over Jimmy G and he got hurt?  In fact they were trying to trade a proven veteran and roll with Lance.  I don't understand how that isn't a glowing recommendation.  

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

That's a good way to draft another Mac Jones...  Like I said before drafting a QB will never be an exact science.  

No, it's not. It's an extremely complicated process that even experienced and professional people frequently get wrong.

And to be clear, I'm not saying you shouldn't evaluate athletic ability. Just don't prioritize it over skills that are way more important for being a quarterback.

As to Jones, I wasn't a big fan of his but he did look decent under McDaniels. Now he's under Matt Patricia, so I'm not sure what to think there.

• Pie 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

No, it's not. It's an extremely complicated process that even experienced and professional people frequently get wrong.

And to be clear, I'm not saying you shouldn't evaluate athletic ability. Just don't prioritize it over skills that are way more important for being a quarterback.

As to Jones, I wasn't a big fan of his but he did look decent under McDaniels. Now he's under Matt Patricia, so I'm not sure what to think there.

Fair point.  Kind of shows up we need a good offensive HC over anything else.  

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

That started him over Jimmy G and he got hurt?  In fact they were trying to trade a proven veteran and roll with Lance.  I don't understand how that isn't a glowing recommendation.  

There was plenty of chatter prior to the season that the 49ers were starting to doubt him. And the games he started didn't do a whole lot to alleviate those doubts.

10 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

Levis is playing with inferior talent in the toughest conference in football. lance just played inferior talent with the best FCS team.

Hey I'm not anti-Levis. I'll just have to learn more, see more and otherwise do research. For me, it's all about traits and projection, but I also realize that it's ultimately guess work.

3 minutes ago, Varking said:

So we make a move for Jordan Love?!

I hope they don't make a move for anyone honestly.  You make Corral compete with your drafted qb and resign PJ to backup/start until one of the other 2 are ready. We're drafting another qb in the 2024 draft anyway so it's ride or die with Corral/PJ/Draft Pick next season and let the chips fall where they may. That's my vote.

• The D 1