• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who should we be looking at outside the "top 4" QB candidates?

rayzor

4 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Probably correct about Stroud, but if it comes down to us and the Texans as landing spots, that very well could change his mind.  He's a RSO, so there's no urgency there besides money.  Again, it's happened to us before.  EVERYONE thought Luck was coming out that year and when it came down to it, he opted to return to school.  While Andrew sugar-coated it, everyone knew why.  I bet if you could ask Trevor Lawrence if he should have stayed instead of going to the Jags. I bet he has some serious second thoughts.

Stroud probably does declare, but I don't think it's a slam dunk decision as you make it seem.

I wonder if Luck regretted his decision, seeing as the Colts for him so injured he literally has to retire because of pain.

17 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I have a co-worker that's a HUGE, HUGE Gators fan and he says Richardson has been saying behind the scenes he's probably returning next year, though obviously nothing official yet.

I’ve been wrong many times, but with his playing style and Florida’s recruiting struggles plus a weaker QB class makes me think he leaves this year. He may just love Florida and I’m sure he gets plenty of NIL money.

11 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Probably correct about Stroud, but if it comes down to us and the Texans as landing spots, that very well could change his mind.  He's a RSO, so there's no urgency there besides money.  Again, it's happened to us before.  EVERYONE thought Luck was coming out that year and when it came down to it, he opted to return to school.  While Andrew sugar-coated it, everyone knew why.  I bet if you could ask Trevor Lawrence if he should have stayed instead of going to the Jags. I bet he has some serious second thoughts.

Stroud probably does declare, but I don't think it's a slam dunk decision as you make it seem.

I mean if you are a really good QB a bad team is probably going to select you. Luck and Manning both had dads with NFL experience trying to “maximize” their potential and both had plenty of family money so they were ok with dictating where they were drafted. Stroud appears pretty humble and I don’t see him pulling a Luck. There is probably a 5 star guy behind him that was promised the job next year at OSU also. I would be very surprised if he stays.

• Pie 3

18 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The most important thing is actually NFL level ability to read the field and the ability to digest new schemes and offenses. 

The NFL arm can put you into an elite class but not without that "NFL brain" to go with it. 

Oh for sure that's a biggie, I'm more hyperbolizing & speaking to pure ability and the fact many can get lost in the stat bloomers their senior/junior years.  Scouts have a certain level of arm strength and throw velocity as a must at the end of the day and it can get looked past.  Some of the more apparent items that are musts tend to get lost in the online evals.  There's a few critical traits (in no particular order):

1-No doubt what's between the ears both on and off the field.  Decision maker, understanding the moments and what needs to get done

2-Processing speed, field surveying & progressions

3-NFL level arm -- a noodle simply won't cut it.  

4-Accuracy -- If they don't have the rocket, this is the counter balance that needs to be lights out.

5-Intangibles - Hard to really quantify and this is one that can be a bit more subjective

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Ward still looked pretty good yesterday, I'm thinking he may want to stick around another year and boost his stock.  He's young and has some growing he can do.  WSU could be a Pac-12 contender next season.

But Penix, wow, I've been wary but he's getting hard to ignore:

Both Ward and Pennix Jr. are first year transfers.  Thin resumes.  I wouldn't mind a flyer pick in the in rounds 2nd or 3rd if we don't go QB in round 1.

7 minutes ago, OceanPanther said:

Bo Nix . Oregon .  ( via Auburn  ) 

He'll be a later round pick for some one 

Him and many others.  I still think we opt out of QB in round 1 unless we are a top 3 pick.  The value for QBs this draft day 2 early day 3.  Trade down, take a flyer pick on a QB and sign a decent FA while building the rest of the team.  I've been set on this strategy for a while now. 

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

He can throw, has a strong arm, is mobile enough to avoid pressure and he is elevating his talent around him. That’s a lot of boxes to check. 

Just did a mini deep dive watching him and reading his scouting reports.  Overall consensus is he has had some bad injuries and his mechanics and footwork get super wonky at times causes some bad overthrows etc.  But his highlights from last night look pretty good. He is super confident in his throwing ability which is obviously a plus and minus as he gets too risky sometimes.   Not a bad prospect at all but the injury factor is going to push teams away a la Carson Strong

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

99.9% sure Richardson returns to school.  Stroud may as well considering he's looking at us or Houston as his potential teams (*cough* Andrew Luck *cough*) and OSU is 0-2 versus Michigan while he's been there.  If it's Young and Levis whereby Houston takes Young #1, TRADE DOWN!  We need more picks anyway.

Rumors after the game from a bunch of sources are saying Florida is confident he is declaring.